Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Universities in New Hampshire  (Read 9141 times)

MuckThatGuy

Universities in New Hampshire
« on: November 26, 2007, 03:03:04 am »

I'm a math major, working towards a BS in Math at the University of Wisconsin - Madison. I plan on fishing for graduate programs in either Mathematics, Physics, or Engineering.

As a Libertarian and FSP supporter, I'd like to do some heavy grad-school fishing in New Hampshire.

What reputable universities exist in the state? I've looked at the University of New Hampshire, but I'm pretty sure there has to be more than one. :)

Any suggestions?

lloydbob1

Re: Universities in New Hampshire
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 06:47:40 am »

Dartmouth

SethA

• FSP Participant
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 12:51:22 pm »

This earlier thread has some useful links, there aren't too many graduate school choices, a lot more at the undergrad level. Dartmouth, although named a college, is an excellent private university but expensive.

http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?topic=9652.0

Jacobus

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 06:12:17 pm »

I attended grad school at Dartmouth for Engineering Science (the engineering school is so small that they don't subdivide it into EE, ME, etc).  If you become a research assistant, as I believe many or most graduate students are in technical areas, you get paid a stipend and don't have any tuition bills.

I believe Dartmouth is reknowned for its Computer Science program, so you might consider applying in that area as well.

Dartmouth is situated on the Connecticut River about halfway up the border with Vermont.  It's a nice area.

MuckThatGuy

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 06:47:20 pm »

Thanks for the help, guys!

I'm hoping to be in NH within the next five years. This gives me plenty of time to research who's researching what in NH. :)

error

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Department of Homeland Stupidity
    • U.S. Department of Homeland Stupidity
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 05:52:32 pm »

My personal thinking is that the sooner you get out of Madtown the better. I know I felt great the minute I was on I-94 headed towards freedom (though you do have to cross the Evil Land of Illinois...). And even better the minute I saw the sign for Nashua and knew I had arrived in the Free State.

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 02:26:01 pm »

I attended the UNH-Durham for a semester, and I can tell you that their College of Engineering and Applied Sciences is top notch.  It literally pulls up the entire UNH statewide average.

UNH's two main campuses are at Durham and Manchester, with the latter focusing more on continuing ed students, though the standards are a bit lower.

I would recommend making the move as early as possible.  In part, most people are genuinely surprised at how much they save in taxes.  Secondly, when you establish residency, you benefit from lower tuition (about $5-6,000 a year) and may qualify for more aid/better placement).  Finally, you can actually take one or two courses part time for cheapo and see if you like the university that you're looking at.  I personally enjoyed my time at UNH, and I would go back again later for other classes.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

Toowm

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 08:59:56 am »

Since we are talking graduate school, you may also consider other New England universities that are within driving distance of New Hampshire, like oh, say, MIT and Harvard.
toowm
Porc -- The Other, Other White Meat
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything