Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Possible move to NH, need help with educational decisions  (Read 11351 times)

Mimbanash

Possible move to NH, need help with educational decisions
« on: July 16, 2007, 12:23:36 am »

Okay, it seems like most people on this board are against public schools.  I do understand, really.  But here's the thing, I have a husband who is strongly opposed to homeschooling.  I have a child with an autism spectrum disorder, asperger syndrome.  I need to get him educated.  But his dad, who has some spectrum issues as well, gets very upset at the mention of homeschooling.  We also can't afford private school.  We can't seem to get any information out of any of the local schools.  I need to email with parents who have experience with the schools so I can work with my husband on this and either convince him that homeschooling is best or find a good school for my child.  I can already tell that NH schools are better than where I am now.  Texas is a NIGHTMARE when it comes to special education.  They also have student/teacher ratios of 24/1 in many schools.  They're into corporal punishment here and will call the cops on a small child who has a disability.  When my son became aggressive after being punished for good behavior and rewarded for bad behavior repeatedly (I saw it up close one day and they also described situations in which I could see the error but they couldn't) they sent him to the "behavior" school where he was in a locked classroom and they restrained him because he forgot to raise his hand to go to the bathroom.  He was 7 years old.  The teachers there scream at the kids unreservedly even with parents in the building.  Imagine what it's like without parents being there.

Eventually, Alex ended up in a wonderful situation in which he has learned a lot, has begun to thrive, made up all the lost time and now writes poetry and got an award for his artwork a while back.

Anyway, I've tried to convince my husband that homeschooling would be best, but I can't shift him and going ahead and doing it anyway would cause a MAJOR MAJOR problem in my household thus negating any positive effects with all the arguing between mom and dad.  Someone please help me here.

Miriam

J’raxis 270145

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • DILIGE·QVOD·VIS·FAC
    • Jeremy J. Olson
Re: Possible move to NH, need help with educational decisions
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 08:48:06 am »

What are his specific arguments against homeschooling?

LibertyforLife

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 09:44:00 am »

I'd like to offer that as a parent who apposes public education, one who can not afford private education, and as a recipient of public 'special education', I am doing something about education.

I will be starting my move to NH in Nov 07, and be on site no later then Feb 08. Once I've settled in, I am starting a private system called the New Hampshire Community School District(NHCDS). It will be a free market solution to the current public and private school system.

As I stated previously I received so called 'special education' and as a result of this product offered by the public school system, I was not prepared to enter mainstream public education. Frustrated as a result, I dropped out and got my GED and went on to work in the private sector.

Briefly, the NHCSD will be a private collection of students and teachers who care not of public education requirements (as horrible as they are) and as such will not need to comply with statutes and regulations provided by the same. Instead together we will set standards based on what is requested by those who want to partake of the services offered. The result of this system will, hopefully, be a more flexible and higher standard of education.

I do not see the value of public offered certifications, and honestly have experienced in the market place that these certifications hold little value for most employers at any rate. I will not be seeking state accreditation, because it is an insult to the goals that I want to achieve. This will result in your certification not being government sanctioned, and why would you want that any way?

Our teachers will decide on the classes they wish to offer, set their own pricing, and maintain their own curriculum. A parent and student will be allowed to preview the classes material to see what is being offered and decide at that point if they wish to take the class offered.

I understand the cost nature of having to pay for government mandated schools and at the same time having to pay for private education. With this in mind, we will be offering very flexible payment terms, including those traditionally offered in college like settings.

The programs offered by the system will vary and will eventually be designed to address the educational needs of K-12 and low level college education, perhaps Associate and Bachelor degrees, perhaps even higher levels eventually.

The point to the system is to attempt to address the needs and wants of the student (and by extension the parents), and no one else. Every problem is different and as such needs to be addressed on a case by case basis. I don't think we will be able to address every problem, I think to say otherwise is to be committing fraud. Perhaps I can address your needs.

I just want you to know that the market breeds solutions, and from those solutions, changes can occur. Perhaps we will do so good that we will totally get rid of public education in NH as we know it (I pray for it). On the other hand, we may fail entirely, but it is from our failures that we learn, not from our successes. As Thomas Edison said after successfully creating a longer life light bulb and looking back at his failures, it wasn't that he failed, but that he found all these different ways on how not to complete the task.

To your husband I pose the question, if you continue to do the same thing over and over again and the result never changes, is it not insane to expect that if you continue to do the same thing over and over and expect something different? Public education has never worked well, its at best a kludge, and at worse a crime against man.

Homeschooling is an option, compared to public education it is a more sane option. Do not expect much difference if we continue to do the same thing over and over. Even private schools, while offering a high quality product, they are still offering the same product, at almost twice the price I might add.

Homeschooling, on the other hand, requires you to teach the same material and while the costs are much smaller, you are basically offering the same thing that public schools and private schools offer, however as a parent teaching a child, I have more control, I could produce a higher product, and it may cost me less then the public or private option, but again its the same product.

I don't claim to know anything about education, I can claim that I know how to learn, and because of that, I can learn to teach others what I know.
Live free or die!

Mimbanash

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 09:54:45 am »

this sounds like a great idea!

Miriam

Keyser Soce

• FSP Participant
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 02:39:27 pm »

Okay, it seems like most people on this board are against public schools.  I do understand, really.  But here's the thing, I have a husband who is strongly opposed to homeschooling.  I have a child with an autism spectrum disorder, asperger syndrome.  I need to get him educated.  But his dad, who has some spectrum issues as well, gets very upset at the mention of homeschooling. 

Why is he opposed to it? What is his reasoning? Why get upset? Why does he think that a stranger with 23 other other students to worry about could teach your child better than you can? There is no substitiute for individual attention. That's why home schooled children are consistently better educated adjusted.

We also can't afford private school.  We can't seem to get any information out of any of the local schools.  I need to email with parents who have experience with the schools so I can work with my husband on this and either convince him that homeschooling is best or find a good school for my child.  I can already tell that NH schools are better than where I am now.  Texas is a NIGHTMARE when it comes to special education.  They also have student/teacher ratios of 24/1 in many schools.  They're into corporal punishment here and will call the cops on a small child who has a disability.  When my son became aggressive after being punished for good behavior and rewarded for bad behavior repeatedly (I saw it up close one day and they also described situations in which I could see the error but they couldn't) they sent him to the "behavior" school where he was in a locked classroom and they restrained him because he forgot to raise his hand to go to the bathroom.  He was 7 years old.  The teachers there scream at the kids unreservedly even with parents in the building.  Imagine what it's like without parents being there.

That's horrible. Poor little guy. Sounds exactly like the kind of conditioning you're trying to avoid.

Eventually, Alex ended up in a wonderful situation in which he has learned a lot, has begun to thrive, made up all the lost time and now writes poetry and got an award for his artwork a while back.
Anyway, I've tried to convince my husband that homeschooling would be best, but I can't shift him and going ahead and doing it anyway would cause a MAJOR MAJOR problem in my household thus negating any positive effects with all the arguing between mom and dad.  Someone please help me here.
Miriam

I'm glad your son is in a better place but I don't know how much help can be offered without knowing your hunsbands' specific objections. Of course there are plenty of sources of info on how bad the public school system is. John Taylor Gatto's work is pretty authoritive him being a former NY city and state teacher of the year.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fs%3FinitialSearch%3D1%26url%3Dsearch-alias%253Daps%26field-keywords%3Djohn%2Btaylor%2Bgatto%26Go.x%3D0%26Go.y%3D0%26Go%3DGo&tag=exmeasententi-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325">john gatto<
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." -- Mark Twain

Mimbanash

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 03:47:03 pm »

My husband doesn't really HAVE any reasons.  He's just completely irrational about it.  I've been down this road endlessly.  I am CHOOSING (remember that thing about being free to choose?) to let this fight go for now so I need to know about schools in NH.

Miriam

MTPorcupine3

• Sovereign Solutions: Free State Project
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 03:54:54 pm »

If you'd like more ammo to convince your husband, go to www.sovereign-solutions.info, click on "Free Episodes", and look for the interview I conducted with Charlotte Iserbyt, author of The Deliberate Dumbing Down of America" www.deliberatedumbingdown.com, the interview I conducted with Ben Graydon, who heads Parents United in Responsibility for Education www.pureducation.com, and the interview G. Edward Griffin conducted with Norm Dodd on the Hidden Agenda for World Government. Or do a google video search for "Sovereign Solutions". Good luck.

Mimbanash

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 04:03:09 pm »

No, I don't want more ammo.  I think I covered this already.  So, do you really want me to stick around and join the freestate project?  I mean I'm really quite libertarian in my views, I'm just in a situation in which one aspect of it isn't working for me.  Public schools aren't great, I would prefer not to have the government interfere in education but so far none of the alternatives have worked out for us.  No, we haven't TRIED homeschooling, but given that my husband is very rigid in his views and is unable to be otherwise given some autistic tendencies I think there's no sense in forcing something that I feel would require him to be supportive.  So, one must choose ones battles carefully.  I'm so frustrated!

Miriam >:(

"Hagrid"

• FSP Participant
  • We don't need 20K... we just need you to move now.
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2007, 04:46:31 pm »

There are plenty of other options besides homeschooling, so it's not 'THE libertarian answer'.

We have FSPers who use public schools, we have FSPers who have run for school boards, we have FSPers who have run or worked for private schools.

We have a big big tent.  I agree: not worth the battle with your husband at this time.....  Just get your butts here to NH!

Mimbanash

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2007, 05:04:04 pm »

Thanks.  I feel better just knowing that there are lots of different things people do.  We are going to probably take the next several months to work our way up there.  He has been told today that the company that wants him is working on getting his offer together.  He'll get the offer today or tomorrow.  That means a move is going to happen.  We have to sell our house which is really hard to do here.  I had hoped to stick around here so my son could finish up at his current wonderful school before moving on to middle school.  It makes me cry to think of us having to leave, but I guess if the house sells we'll be on our way.  I wish I could find someone to ride with me with my kids because I'm pretty sure we're going to drive up once we sell the house.  I do have a fabulous nissan quest that is fantastic for long trips.

Anyway, if you know of any public schoolers that would be willing to talk to me can someone send them my way!  I need to investigate everything before we move.

I also need to talk to anyone who has a child with an autism spectrum disorder.

Thanks,

Miriam

J’raxis 270145

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • DILIGE·QVOD·VIS·FAC
    • Jeremy J. Olson
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2007, 09:17:27 pm »

One thing I thought that was notable when I read Gatto’s Underground History of American Education a while ago was how he stresses that the modern school system is in no way, shape, or form a descendant of the old “one-room schoolhouses” that so many people nostalgically remember—it was an industrialist–collectivist replacement built up during the middle of the nineteenth century. I wonder what the viability of trying to restart the one-room schoolhouse system in small towns in New Hampshire would be…

P.S.: Gatto’s History is also available to read online on his website.

Ron Helwig

• FSP Participant
    • Shire Silver
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2007, 07:08:06 am »

One thing I thought that was notable when I read Gatto’s Underground History of American Education a while ago was how he stresses that the modern school system is in no way, shape, or form a descendant of the old “one-room schoolhouses” that so many people nostalgically remember—it was an industrialist–collectivist replacement built up during the middle of the nineteenth century. I wonder what the viability of trying to restart the one-room schoolhouse system in small towns in New Hampshire would be…

P.S.: Gatto’s History is also available to read online on his website.

Or how about just building an addition on to your house (if you are a teacher) that is designed as a school room? Imagine if a teacher got even half of what we're paying per student and had 20 students - wouldn't that be enough to pay for a large room addition? 20 students x $4,000/year = $80,000/year

Of course, that would require having enough trust in the people whose hands we put our children's future into.  ::)
Are you a Next 1000 liberty activist?

Rebuild the precious metal economy with Shire Silver

Crocuta

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2007, 12:31:34 pm »

Miriam -

Have you explored the New Hampshire Autism Society's website?

http://www.autism-society-nh.org/

There is a message board there that appears fairly active.  I'm sure that they would be the one of the best resources for finding specific schools for your child.

Don't let one issue (or five, for that matter) keep you out of this movement.  Do what you need to do to make a step to becoming more free.

CA_Libertarian

• FSP Member 2007
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2007, 01:03:20 pm »

Don't let one issue (or five, for that matter) keep you out of this movement.  Do what you need to do to make a step to becoming more free.

^^Quoted for Truth

Remember, NH has just as many educational options (probably more) as any other state.  Your child's education is important, but so is his freedom (and yours).
www.pledgebank.com/Next1000

The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands it NOW deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.
~Thomas Paine (1737–1809)

Mimbanash

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2007, 01:42:00 pm »

Miriam -

Have you explored the New Hampshire Autism Society's website?

http://www.autism-society-nh.org/

There is a message board there that appears fairly active.  I'm sure that they would be the one of the best resources for finding specific schools for your child.

Thanks for this!  I'll check out the link.  I figured it wouldn't make sense to not be in the freestate project just because one particular aspect of it might not work for my family.  I mean I'm all for looking at all the alternatives, but I need information about all of those including the public schools.  Good first-hand information.

thanks again.

Miriam
Pages: [1]   Go Up