Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some noob questions!  (Read 3713 times)

AbsurdParadox

Some noob questions!
« on: March 16, 2007, 05:21:47 pm »

Hey guys, I've been giving real thought to joining the FSP for a while now, but I have a couple questions.

First of all, and I'm sure this is a common question, but whats spring, summer, and fall like? How long is winter? Is it very windy? You see, here in kansas, its windy very often... I don't even wear coats in like upper 40 degree weather if theres no wind, but 50's with a 20mph wind I can't stand.

Secondly, is there a decent drag strip or any kind of automotive "scene" in NH (import, domestic, doesn't matter)?

Lastly, I'd like to compare the cost of a house here in Wichita to an equivalent one in say, Manchester. Is therea  good way to go about it? I would say the average 1500 sq ft house here goes for $100-120k. Theres of course large flucuations as you would expect. I ask this, because if the cost of living is any higher there, I would probably need to find a new job, instead of just working from home there for my current business (I do internet application / web development).

Thanks! :D

lloydbob1

Re: Some noob questions!
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 06:05:37 pm »

Weather and climate depend on which part of the state and altitude.  I can't think of anywhere it is windy all the time except maybe Mt. Washington.  Autum  is beautiful through out the state.  Winter is milder and shorter in the southern part. Spring comes with a mixture of nice days, some rain and the occasional snowstorm.  Summers, again are warmer in the south, but,  it seldom reaches or stays in the 90's for long.
As most of the jobs are in south/southeast NH, the houses cost more there.  Houses and land are cheaper further north although the jobs thin out up there.

I'm sure someone else can elaborate on this.
Welcome to the FSP
Lloyd

greap

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • What we have here is a failure to communicate
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 06:11:33 pm »

Hey guys, I've been giving real thought to joining the FSP for a while now, but I have a couple questions.

Howdy.

First of all, and I'm sure this is a common question, but whats spring, summer, and fall like? How long is winter? Is it very windy? You see, here in kansas, its windy very often... I don't even wear coats in like upper 40 degree weather if theres no wind, but 50's with a 20mph wind I can't stand.

New Hampshire, along with the rest of New England, has and absolutely beautiful fall.

Spring - The climate tends to stay right in the 50s and 60s during springtime. The occasional snowstorm is possible, but you're more likely to see a few days in the 70s.
Summer - 70s & 80s, north and the coast are a little cooler
Fall - 40 to 60 typically
Winter: High of 40, lots and lots of snow

Average temperatures throughout the year are:
    * January: 21 degrees F
    * February: 23 degrees F
    * March: 32 degrees F
    * April: 44 degrees F
    * May: 56 degrees F
    * June: 65 degrees F
    * July: 70 degrees F
    * August: 67 degrees F
    * September: 60 degrees F
    * October: 49 degrees F
    * November: 38 degrees F
    * December: 25 degrees F

Secondly, is there a decent drag strip or any kind of automotive "scene" in NH (import, domestic, doesn't matter)?

http://www.newenglanddragway.com/

Lastly, I'd like to compare the cost of a house here in Wichita to an equivalent one in say, Manchester. Is therea  good way to go about it? I would say the average 1500 sq ft house here goes for $100-120k. Theres of course large flucuations as you would expect.

http://www.homevaluehunt.com/ is a useful tool, you may already know but NH has high property tax in lots of areas so don't forget to factor that in to your calculations. A quick peek gives the cheapest house machining your space requirements at $154,900.

There are several realtor's who are members of FSP who I am sure will be more then happy to help with your hunt :)

I ask this, because if the cost of living is any higher there, I would probably need to find a new job, instead of just working from home there for my current business (I do internet application / web development).

Ohhh which platform? There are a bunch of geeks involved with the FSP and several of us are either relocating or setting up satellite offices for your existing businesses, so you shall be among colleagues :) One thing you might want to think about is the Nashua area. it is at the top of the tech corridor and has lots of tech industry, including big names like oracle, so you might well find work easier to find down thataway but the property tax and houses prices are somewhat higher.

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 07:10:14 pm »

Weather and climate depend on which part of the state and altitude.
It is a tiny state with noone living above 1200'. We all have about the same weather.

It is not windy here compared to Kansas. The houses are much more expensive. The housing market varies across the state much more than the weather. :)

The nonviolent revolution is stronger here than in Kansas.
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

"Hagrid"

• FSP Participant
  • We don't need 20K... we just need you to move now.
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 08:21:32 pm »

We all have about the same weather.

No, the weather varies, but mostly north to south...  It is usually colder (and thus snowy) "up north" (north of the lakes, in the mountains and above), compared to southern NH.  It will vary of course, place to place, but as a rule, that's pretty true.

Ward Griffiths

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Canvas and Quicklime
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2007, 09:12:10 pm »

We all have about the same weather.

No, the weather varies, but mostly north to south...  It is usually colder (and thus snowy) "up north" (north of the lakes, in the mountains and above), compared to southern NH.  It will vary of course, place to place, but as a rule, that's pretty true.

In Laconia in the early 70s, I'd give a weather prediction about a half hour half life.  Nowadays, with satellite observation, I'll give a weather prediction for that area a half life of 45-60 minutes.  Assuming a calm day.  (Ya think "Lake Effect" is just the "Great Lakes"?  Opeche can give you "Lake Effect" up the wazoo).
--
Ward Griffiths    wdg3rd@comcast.net

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  (Denis Diderot)

FTL_Ian

• FSP Participant/First 1000
  • Golden Porcupine
  • Former FSP, still in NH.
    • Free Keene - NH's Liberty Activism Destination
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 01:21:07 pm »

http://mlspulse.com - how I found my house

Keene is in a valley, not much wind here.
150+ Reasons to Move to Keene : http://move.FreeKeene.com

Join the *other* liberty activism forum in NH: http://forum.shiresociety.com

cathleeninnh

• FSP Treasurer
  • FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 09:23:36 am »

Before I register, someone tell me how it compares to New England Real Estate Network.

Cathleen

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 01:36:13 am »

Even in Manchester, condos can be found for less than $100K.  Two bedroom condos can be had for less than $150K.  If you want to go the house route in Manchester, you might consider renting out a couple of rooms to help with the mortgage payments.  Since there are so many duplexes in Manch, you can rent out one level and live in the other.  I know a few freestaters who are doing this, and may take this approach myself when I buy.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."
Pages: [1]   Go Up