Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello from #7450!  (Read 7173 times)

muni

Re: Hello from #7450!
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2006, 09:21:34 am »

The atheists among us should respect not only the peacticing among us (which for the most
part they do), but religion itself.

According to the classical-liberal historian Ralph Raico, based on Lord Acton, the concept of
individual liberty came about _because_ of religion. See, among other places,
   http://www.acton.org/publicat/occasionalpapers/histintro.html

Thanks ..

muni .

lloydbob1

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2006, 10:32:07 am »

The atheists among us should respect not only the peacticing among us (which for the most

According to the classical-liberal historian Ralph Raico, based on Lord Acton, the concept of
individual liberty came about _because_ of religion. See, among other places,
   http://www.acton.org/publicat/occasionalpapers/histintro.html

Thanks ..

muni .

Lots of luck with that

"Hagrid"

• FSP Participant
  • We don't need 20K... we just need you to move now.
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2006, 07:29:49 pm »

Lots of luck with that

For a group filled with political people (and I'll include the rabidly anti-political types lumped in there as they talk about how bad politician-types are in the first place), we're actually very tolerant of everyone's other views on other issues.  The whole "Never discuss politics, sex or religion" thing is broken, in that we often and usually are discussing politics, but religion and sex rarely come up in our group discussions, and usually have a decent amount of respect for other views, at least on a basic level to agree to disagree.

Ward Griffiths

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Canvas and Quicklime
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2006, 08:22:22 pm »

I will respect (or not, based on a variety of factors) individuals who hold religious beliefs.  I will not respect religion.  Sorry about that.  The same applies to other group memberships, be they ethnic, regional, "racial" (I'm human, never gotten an understandable linguistic response from an individual who wasn't), or membership in any other club (if that individual is threatening me with a club, that's an automatic downcheck).

To me, faith is the most obscene four-phoneme word in the anglic language.  I was raised Southron Baptist, but they made the mistake of letting me learn to read -- so I read the manual they claimed to be using.  (At 51, I've been an atheist for exactly as many years as Jack Benny lived).
« Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 08:24:03 pm by Ward Griffiths »
--
Ward Griffiths    wdg3rd@comcast.net

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  (Denis Diderot)

lloydbob1

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2006, 09:14:35 pm »

What he said

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2006, 07:52:44 pm »

Hi,

I can't think of a better reason to post on this forum than to introduce yourself.

Well maybe to tell us you are moving this week.
Or to tell us that you are ready to start a revolution and you are moving to Keene in a week.
 8)
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

Denis Goddard

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Free the Mallocs!
    • Free State Blogs
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2006, 11:07:23 pm »

... or to tell us that you plan to run for local office in next year's elections, and for State Rep in 2008!  8)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up