Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello from #7450!  (Read 7169 times)

Villette

• FSP Participant
  • "No freakin way! You really signed up, huh?"
Hello from #7450!
« on: November 30, 2006, 02:38:39 pm »

(I wasn't entirely sure that this was par-for-the-course around here, but introductory threads aren't at all uncommon on other forums, so I hope you don't mind. If this thread is a nuisance, mods, feel free to zap it.)

Hello everyone! I just wanted to take a moment to offer greetings and tell y'all a little bit about myself, see if anyone else has anything in common with me, see if there are any forum recommendations for me, etc.

I'm 19 years old, a sophomore in college (majoring in music - classical vocal performance) in Nashville, TN.

Let's see, what else... I'm female, Christian (specifically, Methodist), personally subscribe to a straight-edge/poison free life philosophy (if you don't know anything about the sXe movement, this essentially means no drugs, no alcohol, no promiscuous sex) and consider myself a Libertarian (ZAP and all).

My school is Christian-affiliated and seems have a real inundation of Republicans and Conservative students, and would probably be receptive to the idea of the FSP. According to Facebook.com, 80 students at my college consider themselves Libertarian, and 30 were active enough to join a Libertarian internet group -- we're working on organizing a sort of LP College chapter here. :)

I had seen some threads in the Under-21 section that seemed pretty active, but the "Tennessee" thread was surprisingly stagnant being that the main page shows that there are 118 FSPers in the state!

I'm particularly interested in ways of recruiting other college-aged people to consider the FSP after graduation, or at least trying to spread the word about libertarian philosophy.

Anyway, I look forward to meeting you all, getting to know you, and, most of all, a place where the free exchange of ideas is genuinely encouraged, particularly among fairly like-minded and respectful, intelligent individuals... Plus you appear to have a relatively low incidence of trolls. :)

-Villette
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 04:19:31 pm by Villette »

Rocketman

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Statism Sucks
Re: Hello from #7450!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 03:38:05 pm »

Welcome, #7450!

One of my favorite things about this movement is that up here the Christians, atheists, and in-betweeners get along very well.  We understand that we're all working for the same goals. 

And on behalf of the many free staters who like to party, I promise we will respect your curious decision to abstain from fun.   (Although I cannot promise we will understand it.)  ;)

Best of luck recruiting other young folks!
5/13/06: I'M HOME!!!!!!!!!  #401!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 03:46:00 pm »

Welcome, Villette. My sister also majored in music at a Nashville school: she did violin performance at Vanderbilt (which I gather isn't your school, since Vanderbilt lacks a religious affiliation). She's at the New England Conservatory now, not too far from the NH border come to think of it!
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

Villette

• FSP Participant
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 03:49:33 pm »

Welcome, #7450!

One of my favorite things about this movement is that up here the Christians, atheists, and in-betweeners get along very well.  We understand that we're all working for the same goals. 

I have noticed that even when people disagree, it's very respectful. It's a wonderful thing to see!

Quote from: Rocketman
And on behalf of the many free staters who like to party, I promise we will respect your curious decision to abstain from fun.   (Although I cannot promise we will understand it.)  ;)

Aww, c'mon now. Just because I choose to abstain from certain behaviours that I believe are damaging certainly doesn't mean that I abstain from fun!  ;D

I do appreciate the mutual respect, though -- I still have some mixed feelings about legalisation/prohibition issues (leaning towards legalisation), and look forward to being exposed to different views where that's concerned. And maybe while I'm here I can show that my particular brand of poison-free doesn't mean I'm a TOTAL drag.

Welcome, Villette. My sister also majored in music at a Nashville school: she did violin performance at Vanderbilt (which I gather isn't your school, since Vanderbilt lacks a religious affiliation). She's at the New England Conservatory now, not too far from the NH border come to think of it!

Thanks, Jason! And no, I'm not at Vanderbilt. (I'd just as soon not advertise what school I'm attending, though anyone with a search engine and a lick of sense could figure it out easily enough.) The New England Conservatory has a really impressive program, and is one of the schools I may consider for the master's degree level. :)

It's great to meet you both!

-Villette

Pat K

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 05:25:57 pm »

Hello and welcome, always nice to have a person around who does not drink, I get lonely.  ;D
"It's not all gonna be candy and blow-jobs"-Dale

Jason Osborne ‎"Fighting for reduction of government" is kind of like smashing your dick in a car door to reduce the pain of smashing your dick in the car door, and then getting pissed at the folks who don't want to smash their dicks in car doors as if it is their fault that your dick hurts.

"I don't recommend looking towards a government building if you don't want to see indecent behavior."  --Russell Kanning

lloydbob1

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 05:48:50 pm »

Do not pay any attention to this man. ::)

Villette

• FSP Participant
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 06:33:15 pm »

Heehee! Nice to meet you, Lloyd, and Pat. :)

"Hagrid"

• FSP Participant
  • We don't need 20K... we just need you to move now.
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2006, 06:48:04 pm »

And on behalf of the many free staters who like to party, I promise we will respect your curious decision to abstain from fun.

There are plenty of us who don't drink, nor do drugs, and frankly, the parties are rather tame (but always fun) so you would feel quite welcome regardless.

FreeBoB

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2006, 07:12:40 pm »

Villette -

Welcome aboard!  See if you can get to our Liberty Forum or PorcFest before graduation!

Liberty Forum: http://www.freestateproject.org/libertyforum/
PorcFest: http://www.freestateproject.org/festival/

Brian

FTL_Ian

• FSP Participant/First 1000
  • Golden Porcupine
  • Former FSP, still in NH.
    • Free Keene - NH's Liberty Activism Destination
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2006, 09:02:26 pm »

As a drug using, sexually active atheist, I say, "Welcome!".   8)
150+ Reasons to Move to Keene : http://move.FreeKeene.com

Join the *other* liberty activism forum in NH: http://forum.shiresociety.com

RichW

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2006, 11:07:28 pm »

Welcome Villette!

I'm particularly interested in ways of recruiting other college-aged people to consider the FSP after graduation, or at least trying to spread the word about libertarian philosophy.

Several of us are working on campus recruitment.  If you can organize an LP group on campus, please think about inviting a speaker from the FSP to one of your functions.  Let us know if we can be of further help.
"... it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds...."  ~  Samuel Adams

Ogre

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Llamas are fun!
    • Ogre's Politics and Views
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2006, 07:38:50 am »

Welcome, glad to have you here!  Since you're a sophmore, I presume you haven't seen or signed the First 1000 pledge.  But if there's a libertarian group on campus, there's got to be some folks near graudation who might be interested -- why not have them head to NH for their first "real" job?  Grab some stuff from the site and pass it out!  And let people know about the First 1000 if they're near graduation -- that would be a great milestone to reach.  And link the site and talk it up on facebook as much as you can -- that really gets people clicking and reading.
___
Ogre's Views:
http://www.ogresview.com

aworldnervelink

• Question Your Assumptions
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2006, 01:25:58 pm »

There are plenty of us who don't drink, nor do drugs, and frankly, the parties are rather tame...

But I'm working my hardest to change that!   >:D

Villette

• FSP Participant
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2006, 02:14:00 pm »

Quote from: Sethcon
There are plenty of us who don't drink, nor do drugs, and frankly, the parties are rather tame (but always fun) so you would feel quite welcome regardless

Ah, thanks! I'm glad to hear that.

Quote from: Brian Sullivan
Welcome aboard!  See if you can get to our Liberty Forum or PorcFest before graduation!

I'd love to, but I don't drive! I might see if I can convince my boyfriend to make a weekend of it in February and drive me up for Porcfest... Not that I wouldn't LOVE to hear John Stossel speak!

Quote from: FTL_Ian
As a drug using, sexually active atheist, I say, "Welcome!".

Haha, thanks, Ian. It's nice to meet you. :)

Quote from: Rich
Several of us are working on campus recruitment.  If you can organize an LP group on campus, please think about inviting a speaker from the FSP to one of your functions. 

Thanks, Rich. That's a really great idea -- obviously, I've been trying to spready the word about the FSP to other confirmed Libertarians on campus, but I'm unsure of how to approach the more Conservative students, who might few me as a radical and dismiss me off-hand.

Quote from: Ogre
Since you're a sophmore, I presume you haven't seen or signed the First 1000 pledge.  But if there's a libertarian group on campus, there's got to be some folks near graudation who might be interested -- why not have them head to NH for their first "real" job?  Grab some stuff from the site and pass it out!  And let people know about the First 1000 if they're near graduation -- that would be a great milestone to reach.  And link the site and talk it up on facebook as much as you can -- that really gets people clicking and reading.

Thanks, Ogre. And no, I didn't sign the First 1k pledge because I knew I'd be unable to make it to NH in time! I'll still be in school in 2008, particularly if I go for a graduate degree. I've seen some flyers and pamphlets and such on the main FSP page -- some particularly geared at college students -- but am a little hesitant about posting them. All postings on-campus have to be approved prior to posting, and am, as I said above, a little concerned about seriously turning-off conservative students. (Not for my own sake, but because I worry that they'll dismiss the LP, libertarian philosophy, and the FSP immediately, which is not what I want!)

I've been talking it up on Facebook when I can, joined the FSP Facebook group and +shared it on my news feed. I'll probably post a note about in a few days.

Thanks so much for the warm welcome, everyone! :)

freedomroad

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2006, 03:53:37 pm »

You can fly from Nashville to Manchester for $120 each way with Southwest if you buy tickets very early and for a little more if you only buy them a couple months out.  In May, the tickers are as low as $69 each way.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up