Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Huh?  (Read 8279 times)

jeanius

Huh?
« on: September 15, 2006, 04:28:28 pm »

As a newish resident of New Hampshire, I considered enrolling my kids in our town's public school as a way for them to make friends, etc.  I didn't of course.  Sanity returned with a bit of networking into the local homeschooling community and my brood hooking up with kids via other "out of school" activities.  This article certainly reinforces that decision.  You may be able to sympathize with my reaction to government schools adding pre-school to their lineup.  Kindergarteners must have good judgment from the get go.  I'm waiting for holding the thumb and forefinger in the shape of a gun and saying bang bang to be an expulsion level offense.  I'm sure it already is somewhere.  Argh.

Jean

http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/duluthsuperior/15517993.htm

5-year-old suspended for using novelty popping firework in school
Associated Press
RACINE, Wis. - A novelty firework has landed a 5-year-old boy in hot water.

Quinn Lucier was suspended from kindergarten for four days after he brought to school a "popper," a novelty firework that makes a loud pop when its string is pulled. He found it in his older brother's drawer.

When Lucier poppped the item at Jerstad-Agerholm Elementary School in Racine on Monday, the noise startled his teacher and earned him a trip to the principal's office.

The principal, Cecilia Holley-Young, imposed the four-day suspension, telling the boy's mother the item qualified as an explosive device.

Rachel Lucier said she understood that her son shouldn't have brought the popper to school but she thought the punishment was unnecessarily severe.

"I don't want it on his record, either elementary (school) or police-wise," she said. "I'm just worried, anything he does later in life, if this is going to come back to haunt him. Is he going to be considered the bad boy?"

Thursday was the last day of Quinn's suspension, said district spokeswoman Linda Flashinksi.

Holley-Young did not immediately return a call Thursday from The Associated Press seeking comment.

Ann Laing, an area superintendent for Racine Unified, said Holley-Young suspended the boy based on her interpretation of the district's "Code of Student Responsibilities and Rights."

The district doesn't have a zero-tolerance policy and principals can use their discretion in applying punishments in these cases, Laing said.

According to the district's code, the suggested discipline for a minor or first incident involving use of a "pyrotechnics device" ranges from detention to suspension. The code recommends expulsion for serious or repeat offenses.

The Luciers and school officials disagree on how threatening the popper is.

"The parents seem to think it was harmless," Laing said. "The principal and the teacher thought it was harmful."

Laing said the Luciers could appeal the suspension. Rachel Lucier said that's precisely what she and her husband will do.

"I understand there's a code of (conduct), but there should be some consideration for age," Rachel Lucier said. "There's got to be a line where there are different actions for different ages."
« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 04:30:22 pm by Jean »

Pat K

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
Re: Huh?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 04:45:54 pm »

"The principal, Cecilia Holley-Young, imposed the four-day suspension, telling the boy's mother the item qualified as an explosive device".

This statement qualifies the principal as a jackass.
"It's not all gonna be candy and blow-jobs"-Dale

Jason Osborne ‎"Fighting for reduction of government" is kind of like smashing your dick in a car door to reduce the pain of smashing your dick in the car door, and then getting pissed at the folks who don't want to smash their dicks in car doors as if it is their fault that your dick hurts.

"I don't recommend looking towards a government building if you don't want to see indecent behavior."  --Russell Kanning

KBCraig

• FSP Participant
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006, 01:21:19 am »

I was going for "blithering idiot", but "jackass" works, too.

Yet another indication that the "zero" in "Zero Tolerance" refers to the number of brain cells required.

Kevin

Spencer

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2006, 04:39:26 pm »

"I don't want it on his record, either elementary (school) or police-wise," she said. "I'm just worried, anything he does later in life, if this is going to come back to haunt him. Is he going to be considered the bad boy?"

His mother sounds slightly nuts, based on the above quote.  Who cares if some government monopoly school declares you a "bad boy" at 5 years old?  It should be considered a badge of honor to go against the dumb "rules."

"I hope you know that this will go down on your permanent record.  Oh yeah?  Well don't get so distressed.  Did I happen to mention that I'm impressed?" -- From "Kiss Off" by the Violent Femmes
"t is the fortune of a free people, not to be intimidated by imaginary dangers.  Fear is the passion of slaves."

-- -- Patrick Henry of Virginia, speaking against ratification of the proposed Constitution, 7 June 1788

FreeBoB

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2006, 10:49:07 pm »

A child's record and history stays with her while she's in the government educational system.  It colors what the teachers and staff think of her and consequently, her education.  :(.

Spencer

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2006, 11:17:25 pm »

A child's record and history stays with her while she's in the government educational system.  It colors what the teachers and staff think of her and consequently, her education.  :(.

I know that it does, but when you're 25 it won't matter at all (except to make you into a freedom-oriented anti-government type).

I think teachers' views of the children of FSPers (and other freedom-oriented types) will more likely be impacted by the parents' attitudes re: the government educational system than by anything the kids do / say.
"t is the fortune of a free people, not to be intimidated by imaginary dangers.  Fear is the passion of slaves."

-- -- Patrick Henry of Virginia, speaking against ratification of the proposed Constitution, 7 June 1788

KBCraig

• FSP Participant
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2006, 10:23:21 pm »

I know that it does, but when you're 25 it won't matter at all (except to make you into a freedom-oriented anti-government type).

But at 25, the education you've received will make a difference in your life. For kids whose parents rely on public schooling, a black mark at age 5 will mean getting shunted into special programs as often as possible, justifying more federal grants, and causing the child to be continually pushed into non-mainstream education.

You're quite right that parents (and students) shouldn't accept this, and should consider it a badge of honor to defy the system. But for the vast majority out there, this is just crazy talk.

Kevin

jeanius

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2006, 09:56:37 am »

It's easy to say, from our liberty aware position, that it doesn't matter.  However, one of my many theories about how much like cattle much of the nation is, is that the education system makes them that way.  The trick is to get out of it or counter it constantly if you don't have a non-government school option.  The problem is partly unaware parents who are intimidated by the school "authority" and subsequently kids who are indoctrinated into the "government officials are always right" mentality. 

If you are in the public school system and get labeled it can affect your future depending on what you end up wanting to do.  Permanent records are just that.  Future schools want to see them.  Scholarship applications can require them. Etc.  Pooh-poohing the impact doesn't make the impact go away.  Refusing to go along with such a warped system is better. 

I can't imagine a system that expects a five year old to behave perfectly or would suspend or expel them for not doing so.  It's just whacked!  I cannot stomach the thought of the government getting hold of three and four year olds.

Jean

pascal

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2007, 12:33:46 am »

How dangerous is a school with no logical thought >:( Fuck the government and their minion)
To be free ,be free!

Otosan

• FSP Participant
  • I'm ready to move, anywhere, anytime!
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2007, 11:22:34 am »

Will this childs "criminal record" prevent them from purchasing a firearm?     :P
"The perfect slave is the slave who thinks that he is free."
- [Unknown]
Taxes are the extra money we give the government to do  good things! (2nd grade Social Studies book)

lloydbob1

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2007, 11:39:30 am »

Will this childs "criminal record" prevent them from purchasing a firearm?     :P

Perhaps  by the time he is old enough to buy one.

manuelrodriguez

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2007, 04:32:36 am »

>:(

what kind of educational system they have? I'm confused........

:)

sj

• Administrator
    • The Ridley Report
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2007, 12:38:38 pm »

The worst thing about this story is the lesson the child learned: he learned to be docile, to not take risks, to do whatever he's told and not have fun.  Public schools have produced a nation even more full of sheep than those of history.

As far as Jean's original comment about how it might be an expulsion level offense to say "bang" and point your thumb and pointer at someone, it's happened many times already.  Any of you who've watched Michael Moore's "Bowling for Columbine" (I like to know what the enemy is thinking) has heard about the boy expelled for pointing a chicken finger that looked like a gun and saying "bang."  There was also the boy expelled for making a paper gun during crafts class.
Moved?  Email Moved@FreeStateProject.org to let them know where you landed, and to get your mover number.

Enlil

• my photo
    • My Humble Blog.
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2007, 04:28:55 pm »

I can't even talk about stuff like this, it all frusterates me so much. You know, there is a concept that if you put all of your energy into things you want to happen, you will lead other people to believe in you, and they will put their energy into what you want to do as well; however, if you put all of your energy in trying to stop other people from doing what they want to do, you will get some to follow you, but for those that you are trying to stop, you will actually gain more passionate support. To try to stop others is something we can do when we get to the top, for now, we just have got to try to get up there. This is the reason the democrats are paralyzed (thank god), they are entirely reactionary. The republicans are visionary, and look where they are in this era of history. That is where we need to be, the party of vision, not the party of reaction. At least, that is what I think...
------ ------ ------
People will not know me for the thoughts that fill my head, but only for my actions that fulfill this world.

http://reasonvsexperience.blogspot.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything