Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: How Tax Friendly is Your State?  (Read 11165 times)

Kelton Baker

• Former FSP President
  • FSP Participant
  • Freedom is Free, it's tyranny that costs us dearly
    • Kelton Baker
Re:How Tax Friendly is Your State?
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2003, 12:12:42 pm »

. . .

How about this, Massachusetts has a budget 9 times larger than NH!  :o

. . .

Just considering that MA has a population roughly 5 times the size of NH, yet spends 9 times that of NH says that the government and voters in MA are very different from NH.
---
How about if we compare state budgets per state populations, budgets per number of taxpayers, and budgets per number of eligible voters? (I think its all a good idea, I propose it with the hope that someone else will volunteer the work:)
Give me some men who are stout-hearted men Who will fight for the right they adore. Start me with ten, who are stout-hearted men And I'll soon give you ten thousand more...--O. Hammerstein

freedomroad

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2003, 01:52:21 pm »

How about if we compare state budgets per state populations, budgets per number of taxpayers, and budgets per number of eligible voters? (I think its all a good idea, I propose it with the hope that someone else will volunteer the work:)

Why do any of that?  State budgets are not directly related to taxes.  This is a tax thread.  For example, Alaska, with the lowest taxes in the country, has a large budget and large taxes.  Wyoming, with some of the lowest taxes in the country gets a great deal of its spending money from its investments and its mineral laws.  This is a tax thread, people should not spend several hours trying to come up with unrelated details.

Hank

• "The Men That Don't Fit In"
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2003, 05:53:07 pm »

I'd much rather live in a state that its state and local governments on sales taxes, usage taxes, royalties, tolls, and user fees.

I do not want to live in a state whose governments intrude into my privacy and private property with income taxes or property taxes.

Property taxes and income taxes should be automatic failures.

Any state or local government that relies on property taxes will be in an unwinnable bind.  Demand for more services will scuttle movements for lower taxes.  People will always want "everyone" to pay for the swimming pool or golf course for the few.

Start with a state with no property taxes and an acceptance of sales taxes and user fees and we heading in the right direction.

Otherwise, introducing user fees and sales taxes to pay for the stuff that property taxes paid for will be a minefield for porcupines.
There's A race of men that don't fit in,
A race that can't stay still;
So they break the hearts of kith and kin,
And they roam the world at will.
http://www.internal.org/view_poem.phtml?poemID=295
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up