Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: A bit of information Please.  (Read 8123 times)

Steve and Family

• Languages: English/Spanish
A bit of information Please.
« on: April 02, 2006, 09:32:26 pm »

Hello all, I am Steve and I found out about FSP quite by accident. I started looking at it on the net and liked the ideas presented and would like to check it out. I told my wife and we decided that we would make the Porcfest our summer trip. We thought it would be a good way to know what the organization and people are truly like. We will be travelling quite some distance to get there as we will be comming from the Boise area of Idaho. A lot will be riding on the impression I get while at porcfest as I feel that the only way to do any good for the organization is to move to NH, not just sign up and wait for everybody else to go first. The in formation that I am seeking here in the forum is, since the FSP does not do any of the endorsing of candidates for office and such, this is done by local liberty loving groups. I am wondering if these groups will be having speech time at the porcfest to "recruit" for lack of a better word, newbies such as myself that are contemplating a move to the area. The things that I would be looking for in a potential group are: Sizeable membership, Actual involved activism, Professional attitude, and Recognition and adherence to the concept of "separation of Church and State". If anybody reading this would like to give me some information on which of the liberty loving organizations in the area meet these criteria, it would be appreciated. Thanks.

Dave Mincin

• FSP Participant
  • I'm a llama!
Re: A bit of information Please.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2006, 10:07:41 pm »

Hi Steve,

Super to hear you and yours will be making Porcfest.  The answer to you question is yes, yes, yes! :)

My first suggestion is check the Porcfest section of this forum, then look for Kater and ask her any question
you might have about the coming get together.  She is a great gal, and is in fact heading up our effort.

Pretty sure the New Hampshire Liberty Allliance will be there so, hope you look us up! :)

Regards,
Dave Mincin
« Last Edit: April 02, 2006, 10:10:24 pm by Dave Mincin »
Please join us!
http://www.nhliberty.org/ New Hampshire Liberty Alliance.

" A leader knows that if he is generous with his time, his people will be generous with their effort."

Plug>>>>Realtor Lovejoy Real Estate!

Morey

• FSP Participant
  • just another ancap
    • Rant and Rave
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 12:49:29 am »

Porcfest is the best way to learn about the group.  You'll be glad you made it!

Last year we had people from just about every freedom group in NH, I think.  Some did formal talks, but pretty much everyone is accessible around the campfires in the evening. 

I'll look forward to meeting you!

Otosan

• FSP Participant
  • I'm ready to move, anywhere, anytime!
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 06:12:02 am »

There is a down side to Porcfest....... :(

and that is the last day when ya have to say goodbye to all the friends ya just made and ya know that  ya do not want to leave NH, but ya have to because of commitments back home.   But ya know now that FSP is for real and that it will work (and maybe better when ya get there).... ;D

As for Porcfest, ya go from campfire to campfire, and ya meet People from all over the USA with the same desire that ya have, and that is to be free.

Ya hear conversations about freedom, and yes there are arguments about guns control, but not on how to control them, but which calibar is better for different situations..... ;D

This will be my 3rd porcfest (4th if ya count Elect NH one) and I have yet met someone that I did not  like......well maybe Lloyd (that is because he forgot my name.......hehe..... ;D)

"The perfect slave is the slave who thinks that he is free."
- [Unknown]
Taxes are the extra money we give the government to do  good things! (2nd grade Social Studies book)

lloydbob1

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 07:15:05 am »

Although Otosan is a true Appalacian, Rebel Kentucky Redneck whose family tree, probably, does not fork, he doesn't really talk like that.

5thconcerto

• Friend of the FSP
  • To live free!
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2006, 09:35:39 am »

Although Otosan is a true Appalacian, Rebel Kentucky Redneck whose family tree, probably, does not fork, he doesn't really talk like that.

And Lloyd has a fondness for commas.  ;D

Otosan

• FSP Participant
  • I'm ready to move, anywhere, anytime!
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 06:11:50 am »

Kentucky Redneck !  >:(

Kentucky....heck that is like calling me a D##N YANKEE...... ;D

I am a 7th generation stump jumping, rigid running redneck from Alabama!  Who now lives in the hills of 10EC.  I moved here to help increase the State of TN's IQ level....brought it up by 2 pts..... ;D

"The perfect slave is the slave who thinks that he is free."
- [Unknown]
Taxes are the extra money we give the government to do  good things! (2nd grade Social Studies book)

lloydbob1

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2006, 07:46:16 am »

Sorry about the insult, but, I confuse all of the states in that inbred Hellhole south of the MDL ;D

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2006, 01:34:27 pm »

The things that I would be looking for in a potential group are: Sizeable membership, Actual involved activism, Professional attitude, and Recognition and adherence to the concept of "separation of Church and State". If anybody reading this would like to give me some information on which of the liberty loving organizations in the area meet these criteria, it would be appreciated. Thanks.
I think you will find some professionalism in a group in NH (none that I am a part of)..... just not in the average attendee at porcfest. It is a campout after all.
Some groups you will find in NH like the concept of "joining Church and State together" .... and pushing them both off the same cliff. :) NH is very different than Idaho. No one "church" has control of things.

In order for us to advise you as to what groups might fit your criteria, I think we need to know what kind of activism you are interested in.
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

kater

• the greater
  • FSP Participant
  • NH Resident
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2006, 02:52:15 pm »

Steve and Family,

I'm so sorry that I missed this thread...  I'm organizing the festival, and yes, we will absolutely have formal and informal presentations by local organizations.  Actually, on our big day of speakers, the morning will be devoted to discussion of the state of various liberty issues in New Hampshire, while the afternoon will cover some of the strategies available to activists.  You'll see everything ranging from civil disobedience and protests to effective lobbying, lawsuits, and running for office. 

Please take a look at the Festival page as it evolves: http://freestateproject.org/news/festival/.  And feel free to contact me by email at porcfest@freestateproject.org, or here on the forum.  I look forward to seeing you in New Hampshire.

Kate
It's time for President Paul.
www.ronpaulhq.com

Soundwave

• FSP Participant/First 1000
  • Golden Porcupine
  • Soundwave superior, constructicons inferior.
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2006, 03:31:48 pm »

What part of Boise? My family and I lived there for 5 years.
-Julia

Steve and Family

• Languages: English/Spanish
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2006, 08:59:08 pm »

Thank You Kate for your reply. The first couple of replies to the thread were positive and somewhat useful, but quickly deteriorated from there. Before your post I was beginning to give up hope on getting any detailed information. Sounds like Porcfest will be very informative as well as fun.

As for Soundwave, we are not actually in Boise, we are in Nampa. I just but Boise area because even people unfamiliar with Idaho always seem to know where Boise is.

Soundwave

• FSP Participant/First 1000
  • Golden Porcupine
  • Soundwave superior, constructicons inferior.
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2006, 05:49:08 pm »

ah yes... Nampa.
-Julia

BradKeyes

• FSP Participant
  • Why?
    • Active Mind Thoughts
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2006, 12:58:04 pm »

Steve,

My name is Brad Keyes and it sounds like you and your family are in a similar position to the one my wife and I were in 2 years ago. We were living in Minnesota with our four daughters, had signed up for the Free State Project but had only interacted with people online. We had planned on coming to New Hampshire no matter what but we figured our timeframe would be 3 to 5 years. We hadn't met anyone face-to-face so we decided to come out the the 2004 PorcFest to see what these people were really like.

At the PorcFest we met well over 100 people and were extremely happy to find them to be honest, intelligent, interesting, and dedicated people. It was exciting to talk with the people who were already in New Hampshire and those planning to move soon. The quality of the people we met was enough to make us update our plans and we decided to move as soon as possible. We went back to Minnesota, put our house on the market, and moved in Februrary 05.

Tim Condon did a write-up about our move which you can find here: http://www.freestateproject.org/community/moved/keyes.php

We haven't regretted the decision. We love it here and there's a good chance you will too. I don't have time to go into all the things we love about New Hampshire right now but my wife, Margot, and I will be at the PorcFest and we'd love to talk. If you'd like to talk to someone sooner, please give us a call anytime - you can find our phone number on the Welcome Wagon page: http://www.freestateproject.org/community/welcomewagon/

As for organizations within New Hampshire that you could work with there are several excellent groups you can join depending on whether or not you are interested in town politics, state politics, taxpayer advocacy, civil disobedience, education, gun rights, and more. There is no shortage of groups to join and people to work with who are actively pursing smaller government and greater liberty.

If you'd like to talk please give me a call.
Knowledge becomes wisdom only after it has been put to practical use. Knowledge must be gained by ourselves. Mankind may supply us with the facts; but the results, even if they agree with previous ones, must be the work of our mind. - Benjamin Disraeli

varrin

• Former FSP President
  • FSP Participant
  • THE air male
    • Varrin's FSP Info Page
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2006, 07:49:05 pm »

Steve & Fam,

Here's a stray data point for you.  I opted out of NH and co-authored the Idaho ballot paper for the state vote that ultimately resulted in NH being picked as the FSP's destination (funny... another former FSP post-vote President was the other co-author... NH *must* be good to whoop up on both of our writing! hah!).  Needless to say, I've since joined again.  And like that hair club for men guy, I'm not just the President, I'm a customer! ;)  I moved to Keene, NH in late-2004 and haven't regretted it for a moment.

You'll find a little of everything here.  I'd dig a few minutes to chat with you about Idaho.  Might be helpful re: knowing more reasons why NH was a better choice ;)  Also, if you wind up moving, it would be nice to hear your story from a standpoint of someone from one of the other candidate states (particularly the western ones) coming on out. 

And one last comment... I'm the Christian Community Liaison... and I couldn't agree with you more about Separation of Church and State.  I don't want the government anywhere near my church.  I woudln't push my church off a cliff though...  ;D

V-

Departed Fresno, PRC (Peoples Republic of California): October 18, 2004
Arrived Keene, FS (Free State!): October 25, 2004!
To contact me, please use email, not PM here.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up