Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: High School and College Scholorships  (Read 10028 times)

Matthew

• FSP Participant
High School and College Scholorships
« on: August 08, 2002, 01:03:57 am »

Kinda of off topic kind of on topics: I'd like to tell any high schoolers or college student about some scholorships: http://www.aynrand.org/contests/

There is 3 contests: 9&10 grade, 11&12 grade, and college.
Each one is about a different Ayn Rand book.  You must right an essay on one of several differnt topics about that book.  The prize money is pretty high and I don't sespect to many people apply for this (in comparison to scholorships that give you money just because your not white or you are poor, etc).

I've never read an Ayn Rand book or any book on politics, but I know the link between her and libertarianism.  I plan to get Fountainhead at the library and maybe get myself $10,000.  They give away $72,000 in all and I think they do this every year.
"And if Donald Trump delivered the mail, you could send letters for 12 cents, and also gamble with the stamps." Howard Stern

Mega Joule

Re:High School and College Scholorships
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2002, 01:14:35 am »

[quote author=Anti-Flag
I've never read an Ayn Rand book or any book on politics, but I know the link between her and libertarianism.  I plan to get Fountainhead at the library and maybe get myself $10,000.  They give away $72,000 in all and I think they do this every year.

Good luck.  I hope you get the $10,000.  You could use it to go to college in the free state.

Mega Joule
"One essential of a free government is that it rest wholly on voluntary support.  And one certain proof that a goverment is not free, is that it coerces more or less persons to support it, against their will."  (Lysander Spooner, 1867)

NORML54601

• FSP Participant
  • Insert personal text here
    • The unknown ideal
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2002, 10:20:53 am »

Kinda of off topic kind of on topics: I'd like to tell any high schoolers or college student about some scholorships: http://www.aynrand.org/contests/

If you're planning on entering this contest, I would not draw too many parralels between Ayn Rand and Libertarians. Most Rand followers and pure capitalists really don't like libertarians. If you want to know the reasons, I suggest reading this thread:
http://capitalismmagazine.com/forum/messages/1/50.html?1025031867

ChrisforLiberty

• Volunteer Silver Exchange
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2002, 04:59:04 pm »

While I do like Ayn's books, she is too philosophical for me. What I'm interested in is practical means to achieve liberty and emphasizing the benefits of liberty, not features. As for the Libertarian Party, I see it as a method, not an end to all means. It really is how you live your life on a personal level than any political party. If anything, political parties tend to be more of a problem than a solution.
The elitists fear an ever growing political advocacy that is present in the common man and woman. It offends their sense of the class structure and their own morally corrupt world view. What better way to maintain this elitist structure than to indoctrinate a child at a very early age?

foadi

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2002, 01:48:40 pm »

I can't stand Rand.  It takes her 1,000 pages to say what any other person can say in a paragraph...
The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of "loyalty" and "duty." Whenever these twin concepts fall into disrepute -- get out of there fast! You may possibly save yourself, but it is too late to save that society. It is doomed.

Dex Sinister

• Where are we going & why are we in this handbasket
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2002, 08:21:10 pm »

I can't stand Rand.  It takes her 1,000 pages to say what any other person can say in a paragraph...

<LOL> But she says it very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, throughly.

Kinda Like Tolstoy - 'ya either eventually get into her rhythm, or you hate her guts.

Dex }:>=-
"[Thus,] there is no end to observations on the difference between the measures likely to be pursued by a minister backed by a standing army, and those of a court awed by the fear of an armed people.'"

--Aristotle.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything