Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Free State University" - that idea still around?  (Read 4880 times)

creaganlios

"Free State University" - that idea still around?
« on: July 04, 2005, 07:04:11 am »

Is anyone aware of an effort to get a private college started by FSP folks?  I remember talk of one several years ago, but I can't seem to find any web referebce or discussion board for it.  I'm a college prof who's getting itchy to start something new and exciting  ;D
Thom

Simon Jester

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Peas: Don't hate them because they're round
Re: "Free State University" - that idea still around?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2005, 08:12:28 am »

Ooh, ooh, ooh! I am a college student who is ready and eager to see the US university system get smashed to bits for being inefficient and old fashioned :) I don't have any other plans besides that, and I'm not interested in teaching (being one of those weirdos that believes things can only be learned, not taught), but I am extremely interested in getting it started up.

The first rule of the Free State University (and any other Free State School) is that only real books written on whatever topic can be used, no textbooks!

I also think we could very efficiently do most of the courses online, thus eliminating the need for expensive infrastructure while forming geographical groups of students who can get together in real life when they want in order to discuss the texts, or have a traditional college drinking atmosphere :)

Mainly I just want to get rid of all the gen ed (that is, making up for crappy high schools) and diversity bull :)

So, what do you teach, Thom? I'm an econ major (if you didn't notice from my talk of efficiency...)
It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley

Rocketman

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Statism Sucks
Re: "Free State University" - that idea still around?
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2005, 11:16:42 am »

Thom,

I don't know about a private college, but the folks in Keene have already made some inquiries into starting an independent, liberty-oriented learning center.  That seems to be on hold for right now, but I'm sure they will go through with it.  The discussion is at the nhfree.com forum, search for "Liberty Tree Learning Center."

I'm itchy, too... been teaching college composition classes for six freaking years  ;D.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2005, 11:20:50 am by Rocketman »
5/13/06: I'M HOME!!!!!!!!!  #401!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BrianMcCandliss

FREE STATE U.
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2005, 06:45:31 pm »

There's an EASY way to have the best college in the world. It's so simple, I don't know why no one thought of it sooner--probably because it's also based on the principle of FREEDOM, which is anathema to the type of regimented academic-faculty thinking by which ALL colleges are run.

First, you make it an INVESTMENT organization-- however you're investing in students, which can have the highest average ROI of any investment.

Next, you go purely by profit, not begging for subsidies from people and alums; from the student's various tested scores of skills and abilities, you calculate the profession in which the student would make the most money. Educate the student in that field, and use job-search facilities (in-house or hired-out, whichever is better) to get them a job that's calculated to pay the most.

From the start, you use accountants to calculate the individual student's "Projected Return On Investment" (PROI). The higher the PROI, the higher their "scholarship," the less they'll have to re-pay (since they're a lower risk). Students with a zero or negative projected ROI may attend, but they'll have to pay full price-- i.e. they gamble with their own nickel when the odds are slim; this will make even more money for the college.

Admit ANYONE without a criminal record, and don't  require any money up-front from students, as long as they show a positive post-graduate ROI (and the school has the capital to cover it). Don't worry about GPA's or SAT's or ACT's; let money talk, and the other stuff walk.

Then you just hire the best profs in the world (in terms of ROI on their alums) by simply PAYING them more, and buy them the best teaching-facilities they need-- just require them account for it on a cost-benefit basis, in order to avoid extravagance.

Your school will then have the highest ROI of any colllege, and will therefore be the best-- it will attract students because they're guaranteed to make the most money when they graduate.

Likewise, people will be able to buy securities in the University (stocks and bonds)-- which they will do, because the ROI will be competititve with the market.

Now THAT's a school best fitting the title "Free State U--" it makes SENSE. It will also be an investment that benefits society more than any other, since a dollar invested in education (at least postive-ROI education ) will have an even GREATER ROI in terms of profits for the student, and therefore even greater for the economy as a whole.

It will also turn the academic system on its head, since they're used to elitist labels which have nothing to do with a student's true potential-- just that seen by the school's narrow view.  However, college's only worthwhile benefit is increasing a student's income, as well as that of his backers; by beating colleges at that game via the free-market (vs. the pompous "mutual-admiration society" of society's self-proclaimed "intellectual elite"), we'll take them ALL over in no time.

Face it: we're sitting on an academic powderkeg, and this is the spark of capitalism that can blow the elitist institution of academia to Kingdom come.
They want to arbitrarily determine who succeeds and who fails in life-- who rules and who serves; it's nothing more than modern aristocracy, whereby social class and status are inherited, and it's rationalized on the basis that slaves can "work hard and buy their freedom."
This would only be true, if they weren't also stacking the deck at the academic level; this concept of "Free State U." simply shuffles the cards evenly.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2005, 10:25:31 pm by BrianMcCandliss »
Pages: [1]   Go Up