Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thoughts from a future FStater educator? (That rhymes, weee!)  (Read 4561 times)

BarryD

• Friend of the FSP

Hello again,

I had an awakening today! I have been searching for a logical way for my family to move to NH, and I've hit on an idea that would be good for my wife and I. We would be VERY interested in dropping our present careers and salaries to become teachers for a Porc/Libertarian/Private school.

I have read most of the posts for this forum and I see that a lot of FStaters homeschool. But, I also recognize an undercurrent that if there was such a school available, they would gladly send their kids to it immediately. I like the concept of homeschooling alright, but I feel that a actual school run by such like-minded individuals would be much more beneficial and advantageous for all.

If there are already such schools (or close variants thereof), could someone please direct me to them. I would like a school that does have some sort of structure, but obviously in a non-parochial/gubment kind of way. I hope there are some schools like this already established. The kind of school we would be interested in would hopefully already have been founded, or is being run by someone with solid business intelligence. I would want this school to be a legitimate shining example of how education can be in this nation (I'll settle for county/state for now). But it needs to be run well, as any private business should, in order to keep it open and attract other familes.

We are willing to get our teaching certificates or go back to school for our Master's, whatever it takes to accomplish this goal. We have an infant now and we want to prepared when it's time for her to go to school. I know some might scoff at the whole Master's thing, but we are serious about doing this right and not on a wing and a prayer. All of our childrens' educations are too important to eschew traditional means of "learning" the education business just to rebel for the sake of rebelling. I really hate it when people do that.

I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions about this topic. We are very excited that we might be able to really make a difference when we get to the Free State. I mean, what's better than teaching the next generation of FStaters?!

"Boy, I'm gonna learn you good."

The BarryD
"If you're going to be a sheep, be aware of who's the Shepard."
Me

BlueLu

• MMMMMMM! Monadnock
Re: Thoughts from a future FStater educator? (That rhymes, weee!)
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2005, 02:40:06 pm »

Here is a thread I started some time ago in this area:

http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?topic=3576.0

I have about 5 years of work do to on other projects before I get into this, but I do plan to get involved in such a school in NH, or start one up if it does not exist near me.  On the second page of the thread I have linked to, there is a posting by Wayne Anderson, who is an FSP member and runs a Montessori school that would probably be to your liking.  Montessori schools usually do not offer classes for older kids, though.

solomon

• FSP Participant
  • evolution did not end with us growing thumbs
    • my myspace
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2005, 11:00:07 pm »

i started a thread about wanting to teach, and now i find this thread. this is a great idea. if all the prospective educators could get together, we could really get something done. i just don't know how we could involve the whole state.
To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are<br />to stand by the president,   right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic ans<br />servile, but is morally treasonable--Theodore Roosevelt

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 08:57:14 am »

i started a thread about wanting to teach, and now i find this thread. this is a great idea. if all the prospective educators could get together, we could really get something done. i just don't know how we could involve the whole state.
I don't think you need to whole state to start.  Pick one town and then expand.

freedomroad

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2005, 11:52:58 am »

I plan on being a teacher in NH.  Government or private school, I don't care.  NH and near-by towns are full of private schools.  Even the main high school in Derry is private.  I hear Bush went to school near NH.

Rocketman

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Statism Sucks
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2005, 12:08:29 pm »

Barry and others,

I'm very interested in this, but I'll need a year or two away from teaching before I get serious about a new school.  I have a M.A. in English and several years experience teaching college composition.  I'm quitting my current job in May and moving to NH.  If there are any discussions about a start-up school or learning center of any kind, I would like to be involved!
5/13/06: I'M HOME!!!!!!!!!  #401!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

freedomroad

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2005, 01:43:50 pm »

also, this website is very interesting.

http://www.sudval.org/
Pages: [1]   Go Up