Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Musician considering a move to NH  (Read 3349 times)

Tom Sloan

Musician considering a move to NH
« on: July 11, 2012, 04:04:36 pm »

I'm getting ready to graduate with a BA in Jazz Studies (I play the double bass, also good with classical music and have been hosting a jazz show on our university's public radio station) in December and I'm considering moving to New Hampshire. I saw a thread from 2005 showing some promise that people were interested in developing a music scene in New Hampshire and was wondering how that was going. I recognize that, like anywhere else, for me to make a living playing music I would be doing a wide variety of things including country and rock (I'd actually be delighted to get involved with a prog rock band playing electric bass) I also recognize that I'm probably not going to hit the ground running, make a splash and instantly be recognized. I'll probably get a job doing something completely unrelated to music while I pay off college loans.

At any rate, I'm wondering how New Hampshire's music scene is developing and if there'd be much use for me - as well as what kind of prospects there are for commuting to Boston for gigs.

time4liberty

Re: Musician considering a move to NH
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 04:45:26 pm »

I'm getting ready to graduate with a BA in Jazz Studies (I play the double bass, also good with classical music and have been hosting a jazz show on our university's public radio station) in December and I'm considering moving to New Hampshire.

Awesome! My brother in law is an excellent jazz guitarist.

I saw a thread from 2005 showing some promise that people were interested in developing a music scene in New Hampshire and was wondering how that was going. I recognize that, like anywhere else, for me to make a living playing music I would be doing a wide variety of things including country and rock (I'd actually be delighted to get involved with a prog rock band playing electric bass) I also recognize that I'm probably not going to hit the ground running, make a splash and instantly be recognized. I'll probably get a job doing something completely unrelated to music while I pay off college loans.

I don't know, to be honest. Here in Nashua, there's at least one studio with live jazz: http://www.studio99nashua.com/nh-jazz-presents-studio-99/

Restaurants have live jazz sometimes too.

At any rate, I'm wondering how New Hampshire's music scene is developing and if there'd be much use for me - as well as what kind of prospects there are for commuting to Boston for gigs.

Southern nashua is only 45 minutes from downtown boston, if there's no traffic.

freedomroad

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 05:06:03 pm »

Welcome to the FSP Forum Tom!

I'm getting ready to graduate with a BA in Jazz Studies (I play the double bass, also good with classical music and have been hosting a jazz show on our university's public radio station) in December and I'm considering moving to New Hampshire.

Awesome.  We would love to have you in NH.

I saw a thread from 2005 showing some promise that people were interested in developing a music scene in New Hampshire and was wondering how that was going. I recognize that, like anywhere else, for me to make a living playing music I would be doing a wide variety of things including country and rock (I'd actually be delighted to get involved with a prog rock band playing electric bass) I also recognize that I'm probably not going to hit the ground running, make a splash and instantly be recognized. I'll probably get a job doing something completely unrelated to music while I pay off college loans.

I don't know much about jazz music but I do know where a lot of the big music events happen in NH.  The bigger music scenes tend to be in Nashua, Manchester, Portsmouth and Laconia.  However, there are scenes all over the state including Keene, Hampton Beach, Lebanon, and so on.  There is also a notable music scene in Lowell, right over the NH border in MA.  Commuting to MA is common for both audience members and musicians.  Boston is 45 minutes from Nashua and 30 minutes from Salem without traffic.  There also also big scenes in Worcester and Springfield, MA. 

I know a musician recently moved to NH from CT.  I beleive he is involved in several bands, but the bands mostly play in CT but might also play in MA and NY.  I think he lives in NH, maybe an hour or so from CT.  I know a pro-liberty rock band based in Dover.  I know another band with at least 1 pro-liberty member based in Dover.  I'm pretty sure everyone in both of those bands has a day job.  Both bands play around the NH/ME/MA area but may travel further from time to time.  Being based in Dover or somewhere else in the NH Seacoast is pretty cool for bands (though, I not sure if it would be best for individual musicians) as it allows easy commuting to the Portland, ME, Boston, MA and Manchester/Nashua, NH areas.

I agree with you that being a musician would likely be a back-up part-time job in NH at first.  If you are very talented, you will likely be able to turn it into a full-time gig, eventually.  Plenty of big bands have come out of the Boston area and there is lots of live music (classical/rock) all over Portsmouth/Manchester, NH and the Boston area.

If you are looking for another job in the mean time, I recommend reading this and checking out a bunch of the links http://freestateproject.org/jobs

anon37268573

• First1000
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 05:07:03 pm »

I'm getting ready to graduate with a BA in Jazz Studies (I play the double bass, also good with classical music and have been hosting a jazz show on our university's public radio station) in December and I'm considering moving to New Hampshire. I saw a thread from 2005 showing some promise that people were interested in developing a music scene in New Hampshire and was wondering how that was going. I recognize that, like anywhere else, for me to make a living playing music I would be doing a wide variety of things including country and rock (I'd actually be delighted to get involved with a prog rock band playing electric bass) I also recognize that I'm probably not going to hit the ground running, make a splash and instantly be recognized. I'll probably get a job doing something completely unrelated to music while I pay off college loans.

The local weekly alternative news paper in southern New Hampshire should give you a pretty good idea of the amount of music events going on:
       http://hippopress.com/
Their website is horrible and doesn't reflect the paper. So, here's the most recent issue:
       http://hippopress.com/past-issues/158
On page 65 of the PDF it looks like there's about 200 events per week or so.

The local weekly alternative news paper in Boston is the Phoenix:
      http://thephoenix.com/
There's probably about 3 times as much music stuff in the Phoenix, IIRC, from way back when I was young enough to read it. And, of course Boston
has The Berklee College of Music:  http://www.berklee.edu/ and tons of Universities/Schools.

Most of the events in Boston tend to be in the Back Bay, Porter Square, Cambridge, and Harvard Square. The commute to Boston should be no problem at all from any of the towns in southern New Hampshire (Salem/Derry, Seacoast, Nashua). I do it every day. Manchester would be possible, too (which is where most of the affordable housing in the state is). But, I wouldn't want to make that commute everyday. It would probably only be about 20 minutes or so longer than commuting from Salem.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything