Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: What's your occupation?  (Read 34424 times)

nanmac

Re: What's your occupation?
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2005, 01:40:15 pm »

My first day on the boards...hi...I'm a Photographer... Photo-editor/retoucher...and Graphic Artist. But I'm self taught...No degrees. I work for a maket research company who doesn't care about such things...a "show me the money" kind of place.
(and in fact, I do make pretty good $$) So...What are the chances there for that?
NanMac

brontus

« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2005, 04:32:12 pm »

I would think photographers and graphic artists are going to be in demand in just about any city.  Additionally to that, from SE NH, Boston is supposed to be about an hour's drive.

After a while in any career, most employers are going to be more interested in the amount and quality of your job experience than the amount and quality of your education.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"
 -- Ben Franklin

CP ridgerunner

« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2005, 08:06:16 pm »

And sorry, chopping trees or shoveling snow won't cut it. I have mouths to feed, and we also expect a certain standard of living. I mean, we're capitalists for crying out loud! We like our comforts and toys.

I personally won't mind chopping trees to begin with. I am just graduating from college and anything that puts food on my table, a roof on my head and enough spare change to keep the debt-collectors(college debt) at bay ;D ,  will be fine to begin with.

Eventually I am planning on becoming an Author, along the lines of Michael Critchon and Tom Clancy. I got big amibitions and want to make it as big as them. But I will take any crapshoot job to begin with like Loggin' or whatever till I get my break. I also got a ton of other business ideas, but they all come later.

So all you future publishers are lookin' for some Author to collaborate with, contact me. Sure we can work something out.

SA

Well I cut and sold firewood for awhile back in the early 80s, had a old 1 ton Ford flat bed truck 10 foot bed with high side boards, I would put 4 rick of green oak and hicokry on that truck sometimes, its a wonder I did not bust a tire.                   
   Word of advice get a good chainsaw I bought a cheap liitle 14inch bar Poulin, got the dan thing stuck up a tree one time when the tree swung back up straight in the air, had to borrow another saw to cut it down.                                         
        You might want to invest in one of those gasoline powered log splitters, using a maul or wedge and sledge hammer on a big knotty log aint no fun especially if you get a hold of a sweet gum tree.                                                                     
   Hey I loved the work but at the time I loved partying more, I usually would just work at it a couple days a week enough money to eat on, pay my electric bill, buy beer and about 100 dollars to party on.                                                   
   I might take it up again when I retire from my present job.

Samuel_Adams

• Liberty and Justice for all
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2005, 12:21:38 am »

Hey I loved the work but at the time I loved partying more, I usually would just work at it a couple days a week enough money to eat on, pay my electric bill, buy beer and about 100 dollars to party on.                                                   

So how does a complete newbie like me break into this kinda tree-choppin' job?

If you decide to take it up again, and need another hand or something, hit me up and if I am availaible I wouldn't mind giving it a try.

SA
"If ya love wealth better than liberty, tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go from us in peace... May your chains set lightly upon you..."

CP ridgerunner

« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2005, 12:06:57 pm »

So how does a complete newbie like me break into this kinda tree-choppin' job?

If you decide to take it up again, and need another hand or something, hit me up and if I am availaible I wouldn't mind giving it a try.

SA

I'm not sure how it would work up in NH. but I would say that with the increase cost in heating oil, natural gas and propane there will probally be more of a demand for firewood.                                                                                 
         It appears timberwolfcorp.com has some advice about starting, operating and growing a firewood business. They are out of VT, they make and sale hydraulic log spillters etc.                                                                                 
  Another guy has a website in MN called firewood.com, he sells to Famous Daves BBQ, as well as to homes, it looks like he is selling over the internet.                                                                                                                                   
        Down here firewood is sold by the rick or face cord instead of by the cord. A cord is 8 feet by 4 feet by 4 feet, a rick would be 8 by 4 by what ever length of the log usually 15 inches to  2 feet.                                                               
  In the early 80s I sold a rick of hardwood mostly oak or hickory cut, split, delevered and stacked for 25 dollars. Today down here it will usually be 40 dollars.                                                                                                                         
        In the 80s I usually advertised on a  local AM morning radio show called Swap and Shop, I would call in on the air say what I had and give my phone number.

unChris

« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2005, 11:40:24 am »

Whats the outlook for retail managment? I recently got out of highschool and could be becomming an assistant manager at a specialty retail shop and wondered what my job outlook would be with that experiernce in NH? Iv also though about getting into doing photography for weddings and such.

Another question, there any good clubs in NH? Like techno clubs or something? Thanks for the feed back.

-Chris

Power Penguin

• LG Coordinator / First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • I know where (some of) you live!
    • Protect your property from theft!
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2006, 06:46:05 pm »

I'm in IT and network management, as are many other people. I know, I want to be unique, but this is just something I'm good at and it pays better than a lot of jobs at least (though not extremely well in my case). Anyone in the financial/banking world want to start something? I have some small buisiness ideas that would probably be extremely lucrative but would be offset by the fac that the Feds and their state/local minions would probably can it and me.
Concerned about privacy? If so, check out the official Asset Protection Crash Course. How can you afford not to?

StraitShooter

• Near Toronto
    • RKBA in Canada
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2006, 01:07:54 am »

I'm also a geek (computer programmer).  :)  Large information/database systems.   Currently employed with a decent company, and I work from home -- so theoretically I could live just about anywhere I have an Internet connection.
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty,  he establishes a precedent which will reach to himself."
--Thomas Paine (1737-1809), conclusion,  _Dissertation on First Principles of Government,_1795

Power Penguin

• LG Coordinator / First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • I know where (some of) you live!
    • Protect your property from theft!
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2006, 06:48:18 pm »

Me too actually, albiet I work *very* part time :\. I'm a full-time student but I'd like to have more work, esp. on weekends, holidays, etc.
Concerned about privacy? If so, check out the official Asset Protection Crash Course. How can you afford not to?

mn0mad

« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2006, 05:25:46 pm »

Hello - I'm an electronics engineering technician, and can maintain & repair everything from toasters to multi-million dollar radar systems.  (Retired military - AF).  My preference would be to work for any technology-oriented company, big or small, particularly space-related industries if possible.

I also enjoy sci-fi, so I think my long-held paradigms of technology + personal responsibility & freedom = an incredible future worth striving for.  But in many ways I'm worried about the direction we currently seem to be headed.  (Police state.)

I like the wide-open country here in the west, and never thought much about moving to the eastern U.S.  But who knows...  I'm interested to see how this goes.  Thanks.

lordpoee

• Murray Computer Science Group
« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2009, 11:30:43 pm »

I'm in the Real Estate business in NH! :)

How much does a square foot of land go for? Can you facilitate the purchase?
I want to put a garden gnome on it.

MartyB

« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2009, 07:04:11 am »

I'm a freelance translator. My job is highly portable. All I need is an internet connection and my PC.

We could move to NH tomorrow if the federal government wasn't so difficult regarding immigration...

frankwtodd

• FSP Participant
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus!
    • Homepage
« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2009, 07:56:13 am »

I'm a technical writer. I've been looking for work in NH for several years now with limited success. A lot of places might hire, but only for 6 months or so. I need longer term as I have mouths to feed.

In the mean time, I've been saving my pennies. If I don't find a job within a couple of years I'm just going to buy or start a business in NH and come on up anyway!!
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
-- Herbert Spencer

Trenks

« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2009, 11:25:52 am »

Architect. Also looking to go to law school. I doubt there is any relationship between kind of career or occupation or job and political viewpoint. I don't think anyone is more likely to move to NH if they are in any particular area of industry.

I think there are many hidden business opportunities in this depression. I think there are many niche ways to make money people haven't figured out yet that would be profitable specifically in a downturn. There should be a topic on that.

Jeff LaGrange

• FSP Participant
  • AKA (1) poorkollegekid (2) Axon Hillock
    • Facebook
« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2009, 10:37:14 pm »

I wish someone would start a Porcupine Better Business Bureau.
"No nation however powerful, any more than an individual, can be unjust with impunity.  Sooner or later, public opinion, an instrument merely moral in the beginning, will find occasion physically to inflict its sentences on the unjust... The lesson is useful to the weak as well as the strong." --Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, 1804.

"It is the trade of lawyers to question everything, yield nothing, and talk by the hour." -  Thomas Jefferson

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."

Thomas Jefferson
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 9   Go Up