Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: What's your occupation?  (Read 34375 times)

BarryD

• Friend of the FSP
What's your occupation?
« on: June 08, 2005, 03:16:08 pm »

Hello all,

My wife and I and a lil'n are wanting to move to NH very badly. The only thing truly stopping us is the whole employment problem. It's kinda hard to look for a job in NH from FL. Sure I have a degree and a little experience but nothing overwhelming that empoyers will be clamoring for. I am even considering a completely new career path (advertising currently) in order to get to NH. I have considered getting into programming or even going to law school (for the purpose of really being able to get into the trenches of liberty once up in NH).

So the crux of this post is, what do you people do? Do you see one occupation that is needed in NH more than others? Are there one or two jobs that anyone sees as being highly desired in the next couple of years?

And sorry, chopping trees or shoveling snow won't cut it. I have mouths to feed, and we also expect a certain standard of living. I mean, we're capitalists for crying out loud! We like our comforts and toys.

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Barry   
"If you're going to be a sheep, be aware of who's the Shepard."
Me

Ward Griffiths

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Canvas and Quicklime
Re: What's your occupation?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005, 04:47:29 pm »

My occupation in New Jersey is underemployed Unix System Administrator.  My plan is to open a restaurant specializing in chili probably in or near Laconia, since presently there isn't a decent bowl of red for sale in the whole state.  I figure Laconia is equally inconvenient for those coming from places where they've learned to expect good chili to travel to from either the northern or southern ends of the state.  Besides, until a couple of decades ago it was the home of my mother's family since time immemorial (i.e. probably a few weeks after the fracas in Salem Mass in 1692).
--
Ward Griffiths    wdg3rd@comcast.net

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  (Denis Diderot)

Gabo

• FSP Participant
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2005, 05:40:18 pm »

My plan is to open a restaurant specializing in chili probably in or near Laconia
WOOHOO!  I love chili!

Don't forget the cornbread!
I love my country!

It's my government that sucks...

Herself

• Western Science *is* *so* wonderful!
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2005, 05:51:10 pm »

I fix television transmitters and related things.  There's not a lot of turnover in that line of work, which is one reason I havene't signed up yet.  --See what comes of being too specialized?

--Herself
Civilization in the United States ended by 1913.

Ward Griffiths

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Canvas and Quicklime
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2005, 08:40:24 pm »

My plan is to open a restaurant specializing in chili probably in or near Laconia
WOOHOO!  I love chili!

Don't forget the cornbread!
At least three varieties.  The sweet style, the tart style and my own recipe using blue cornmeal.  Possibly Mexican style as well, but there's already a decent Mexican restaurant in Laconia.  The chili there sucks, as is normal at Mexican restaurants, since chili is not a Mexican food, it merely uses some of the same seasonings.
--
Ward Griffiths    wdg3rd@comcast.net

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  (Denis Diderot)

5thconcerto

• Friend of the FSP
  • To live free!
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2005, 09:58:54 pm »

Two fields that leap out at me are: 1) Nursing, there are always shortages in NH it seems. 2) Anyone in the construction field. Lots of building going on in NH.

KBCraig

• FSP Participant
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2005, 11:02:30 pm »

My bus for getting there is my job as a federal correctional officer, assuming the Berlin prison comes to fruition.

Trust me, I'd much rather win the lottery and tell the BOP to kiss my hairy Scottish butt.

Kevin

lloydbob1

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2005, 06:36:13 am »

Praxeologist.

But, there's no money in it!

PintofStout

• FSP Participant
  • The Dude Abides!
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2005, 11:13:56 am »

I'm a Geographic Information Systems (GIS) technician.  I make electronic maps and databases of sewer systems and stuff.  I'd really like to own a bookstore/private library/education or tutoring center maybe in conjuction with a publishing outfit (online or otherwise).  The major obstacle to the aforementioned dream is absolutely no knowledge of the business!  I just want to be able to read all day, talk to folks and help to educate.
You Moos sure can party!

BarryD

• Friend of the FSP
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2005, 08:53:26 pm »

I just want to be able to read all day, talk to folks and help to educate.

That sounds awesome! Where do I sign up?
"If you're going to be a sheep, be aware of who's the Shepard."
Me

Pat K

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2005, 10:11:02 pm »

I just want to be able to read all day, talk to folks and help to educate.

That sounds awesome! Where do I sign up?

Just add beer and presto dream job.
"It's not all gonna be candy and blow-jobs"-Dale

Jason Osborne ‎"Fighting for reduction of government" is kind of like smashing your dick in a car door to reduce the pain of smashing your dick in the car door, and then getting pissed at the folks who don't want to smash their dicks in car doors as if it is their fault that your dick hurts.

"I don't recommend looking towards a government building if you don't want to see indecent behavior."  --Russell Kanning

freedomroad

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2005, 10:53:57 pm »

I have a few jobs, wholesale food worker, occupational therapy assistant, and pro-freedom activist.  However, I'm in school to be a teacher and I'm not moving to NH until I get my degree.

pcwallis

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2005, 08:39:07 pm »

I am a deal maker.  Got an idea talk to me.

5thconcerto

• Friend of the FSP
  • To live free!
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2005, 08:52:24 pm »

I'd really like to own a bookstore/private library/education or tutoring center maybe in conjuction with a publishing outfit (online or otherwise).  The major obstacle to the aforementioned dream is absolutely no knowledge of the business!  I just want to be able to read all day, talk to folks and help to educate.

Several people have talked of bookstores, and or publishing. Why not do both? I also like the idea of a bookstore, and I want to publish some things. So let's talk. Who knows, perhaps we can create a NH based chain of new and used bookstores. Perhaps combination coffee shop bookstores.

groovygas

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2005, 09:37:37 pm »

I am new to this site and the idea. I am a CRNA 
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 9   Go Up