Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Gay/lesbian acceptance/activities in NH?  (Read 11740 times)

adamson42

Gay/lesbian acceptance/activities in NH?
« on: May 30, 2005, 12:07:01 pm »

As I am way out on the <-------- other coast, I thought I'd ask if there were any "out" gay/lesbian participants in the FSP who could address the issue of g/l friendliness and acceptance in NH.  I'm a city guy, and have a fair amount of trepidation concerning moving to a state where the largest city has a population of just 100k.  As Libertarian as I am and as supportive of the FSP as I am, I'm a bit dubious about things like g/l social activities, dating, and the like.  I don't want to totally isolate myself!

"Hagrid"

• FSP Participant
  • We don't need 20K... we just need you to move now.
Re: Gay/lesbian acceptance/activities in NH?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2005, 07:03:48 pm »

While I'm not gay (or lesbian... for that matter), I can tell you that Manchester has a few good gay bars... a bunch of us go there for Karaoke some nights...  And we tend to sing raunchy songs...   My personal choice is "Rainbow Connection" (the lyrics take on whole new meanings in a gay bar... and yet still speak of freedom dreams too)

There is a community here, for sure... private msg me, and I can put you in touch with moved FSPers who might otherwise not be interested in being public...

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2005, 10:34:17 pm »

I'm a lesbian trapped in a man's body... does that count?

Okay, in all seriousness... yes, there are people who will not be very accepting of "alternative lifestyles."  No, it will not be as bad as many from outside the Northeast will make it out to be.  Most cities of any size have eitehr official, or unofficial, "gay bars" or the like.  There is a pretty strong "mind your own business," "live and let live" vibe around here.

I'm a plumbing/heating contractor, and the company I work for has something around a dozen clients who are openly homosexual, and none has ever made any comments to me that would tend to indicate any significant fear of persecution, or even a fear of being shunned.  I can't speak for New Hampshire, directly, but I know that southern Maine is seeing a lerge influx of gay men (fewer lesbians, for some reason) who ocme up from Mass and build/buy summer houses.  There are some percentage of homophobes in the population - as there are anywhere - but it is not publicly accepted, and those who feel that way either "grin and bear it" or just do their best to avoid situations in which they would have to interact with homosexuals.  (I doubt that many homosexuals want to interact with homophobes, so that seems like a win-win solution)  The only gay couple I know that seem to really draw any significant negative comments would do so even if they were a man and a woman - they have a tendency to bicker in public, and one has a habit of stomping his feet and throwing tantrums, which isn't exactly appealing in anyone over the age of two, regardless of sexual orientation...

Overall, I think you'll find that, as I said, this is pretty much a "live and let live" sort of area.  Honestly, you've more likely to upset people due to being "From away" than being gay.  But if you're moving to a city, that's not likely to be the same sort of issue that it is in small towns (I can never be a "real Mainer" because I was born out-of-state, even though my family moved here when I was barely over a year old).

Of course, the best way to get a feel for the area would be to come for a visit.  The last week of July would be a good time...

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

amagi

• I said Live it or Live with it!
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 02:18:41 am »

As I am way out on the <-------- other coast, I thought I'd ask if there were any "out" gay/lesbian participants in the FSP who could address the issue of g/l friendliness and acceptance in NH.  I'm a city guy, and have a fair amount of trepidation concerning moving to a state where the largest city has a population of just 100k.  As Libertarian as I am and as supportive of the FSP as I am, I'm a bit dubious about things like g/l social activities, dating, and the like.  I don't want to totally isolate myself!

Things might've changed since I was in NH (1975) but seems UNH had a LOT of Gay's. I think Gay's are great...more females for me! (uh...if I wasn't married that is.) ;-)
No human being, nor any number of human beings, have any right to make
laws, and compel other human beings to obey them. To say that they have
is to say that they are the masters and owners of those of whom they
require such obedience.
            Lysander Spooner

adamson42

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2005, 08:06:34 am »

<snip>

Of course, the best way to get a feel for the area would be to come for a visit.  The last week of July would be a good time...

Joe

Looks enticing but it'll have to be in 2006.  I just blew my annual travel budget signing up for the Advocates' 20th anniversary conference in Atlanta in October.  I've been a recipient of their annual Lights of Liberty award five years in a row now, so I feel a certain obligation to do something for them!  They just keep giving me awards!   :D

Morey

• FSP Participant
  • just another ancap
    • Rant and Rave
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2005, 12:52:42 pm »

You may want to join the folks on the Yahoo list at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/outfsp/

If you find time, it looks like they could use some help fleshing out the links section.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2005, 06:58:53 pm by Morey »

adamson42

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2005, 07:29:22 pm »

You may want to join the folks on the Yahoo list at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/outfsp/

If you find time, it looks like they could use some help fleshing out the links section. I found an ancient page here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/outfsp/ - some googling of these names in quotes might help you find some current info.

Wow - it's been in existence since September and I am just the 8th member.  A lot of work to be done...!  This is going to be a tough one because most gays/lesbians identify with the Democratic party - but then when you get within the subset of gay/lesbian Libertarians, I reckon it would be difficult to get many to uproot to a small state.

freedomroad

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2005, 12:38:56 am »

Isn't New England one of the most excepting parts of the nation to gays?  MA is the only state with gay marriage, right?  VT was the first state with civil unions.  I know many companies and I think even some government jobs give partners insurance coverage.  NH was the first state in American to have a gay bishop.  I've heard that gays are concentrated in high numbers in small towns across VT.  Boston, one of the largest and most liberal cities in the nation is a 30 min drive from southern NH.  Surely, Portland has a large gay community and it is not far from NH

Anyway, I would not worry about it.  You will have 20,000 friends from the start.

jgmaynard

• FSP Shadow Advertising
  • FSP Participant
    • The Light of Alexandria
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2005, 12:17:08 pm »

When we ran the Keene State Libertarians, the Keene State GLBT group supported us to a great extent. We did several events they took part in, and they had us give a recruitment speech to their group.

JM
The Light of Alexandria By James Maynard

A history of the first 1,000 years of science, and how it changed the ancient world, and our world today.

http://www.lightofalexandria.com

adamson42

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2005, 07:31:35 pm »

Anyway, I would not worry about it.  You will have 20,000 friends from the start.

Well yeah, but it would be nice to find a date too... or god forbid, another gay libertarian!  :D  I have that situation here in OR where I know a ton of libertarian activists but I'm the only homo for miles.

KBCraig

• FSP Participant
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2005, 11:07:12 pm »

I checked pinkpistols.org, but there's not a chapter in NH. There is a chapter in Boston, though.

http://www.pinkpistols.org

There are lots of gay libertarians in the group. Just the fact that they've broken free of the leftist "victim" stereotype and taken responsibility for their own safety says a lot.

Kevin

Morey

• FSP Participant
  • just another ancap
    • Rant and Rave
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2005, 12:21:36 am »

I'm pretty sure you already know about Outright, but just in case: http://www.outrightusa.org/ - They have a Yahoo group as well.

adamson42

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2005, 07:55:34 pm »

Yeah, I've heard about pinkpistols (sorry, not a gun person) and Outright (a total joke as a "national" organization; barely relevant outside of Atlanta and perhaps one other city). 

I guess I need to re-direct the thread just a bit to stuff local on the ground in the larger cities of NH (I guess Manchester is the only one >100k).  I would prefer not to drive an hour into Boston to always do stuff there.  If I was always doing that, I might as well move to Boston and be an active Libertarian there!

I guess I need a bit more reassurance that there's actually some kind of *local* support structure for gays & lesbians in NH.

Green

• Smash the state!!
    • www.infoshop.org
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2005, 08:06:30 pm »

Yeah, I've heard about pinkpistols (sorry, not a gun person)

Oh No!  You are an anti-gun-ownership statist now!!!   :o

(just kidding...poking fun at unnamed individual on this forum...)
"The liberty of man consists solely in this: that he obeys natural laws because he has himself recognized them as such, and not because they have been externally imposed upon him by any extrinsic will whatever, divine or human, collective or individual." -Mikhail Bakunin

Pat K

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2005, 08:39:06 pm »

Well yeah, but it would be nice to find a date too... or god forbid, another gay libertarian!  :D  I have that situation here in OR where I know a ton of libertarian activists but I'm the only homo for miles.

So it sounds like you would not be leaving homo Paradise  ;D why not try NH. Hell the folks there are activists ,they could start a date adamson campain if the pool is that scarce ;D
"It's not all gonna be candy and blow-jobs"-Dale

Jason Osborne ‎"Fighting for reduction of government" is kind of like smashing your dick in a car door to reduce the pain of smashing your dick in the car door, and then getting pissed at the folks who don't want to smash their dicks in car doors as if it is their fault that your dick hurts.

"I don't recommend looking towards a government building if you don't want to see indecent behavior."  --Russell Kanning
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

anything