Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving to New Hampshire in a Few Years  (Read 601 times)

rippld

Moving to New Hampshire in a Few Years
« on: September 09, 2017, 01:25:41 pm »

Hello, this is my first post on this forum, my girlfriend and I are currently saving money in order to move up to New Hampshire and start a small farm by 2021. Are there any local groups for us to get our farm's name out once we are moved? Also we are planning a trip to New Hampshire next summer, any suggestions for must-see sights? Any information will help, thanks.

paperboy

Re: Moving to New Hampshire in a Few Years
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 06:22:21 am »

There are lots and lots of small farmers here in NH.

Not many of them, that I am aware of, are cash positive.

They generally have a family member or two that work a full time job in addition to working the farm.

Buying a farm can be expensive. Two recently (in the last two years) sold in our town. Both were around $400,000 and needed lots of work.

The people who now live on these farms LOVE LIVING IN NH.

It's awesome here. I pinch myself everyday.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 07:32:35 am »

It depends on where you are and what kind of farming you are doing. If you are doing a large-scale dairy or apple farm, you can get by doing that full-time, though the profit margins are narrow. Vegetable farming is really profitable only in prime locations along the Connecticut River. A few of the larger farms also do CSAs, U-Pick, weddings, and the like to make ends meet. But most farms are part-time operations.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

paperboy

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 05:32:41 am »

I do know some profitable farmers here in northern New England. But in every case, it's almost a multi-generational deal where their family started the farm generations ago. The cost of buying a farm generally offsets any ability to generate positive cash flow.

In both cases I cited below, the people paid cash for their farms, which can help... You're not sweating the monthly mortgage payments, but you still have a lot of expenses. Taxes, Insurance, Energy, Seed, Equipment, etc.

God Bless Them! Farming is hard work. I worked on a 600 acre dairy farm in high school. Long enough to know I didn't want to work 7 days a week for the rest of my life. America and NH needs more independent farmers.

RidleyReport

• FSP Participant
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 12:47:14 pm »

Hello, this is my first post on this forum, my girlfriend and I are currently saving money in order to move up to New Hampshire and start a small farm by 2021.

yayy!  maybe google samizdat farm
http://RidleyReport.com
http://NHexit.com - If Britain can do it, New Hampshire can do it
Pages: [1]   Go Up