Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: More Speakers Confirmed  (Read 12257 times)

Denis Goddard

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Free the Mallocs!
    • Free State Blogs
More Speakers Confirmed
« on: November 11, 2006, 02:22:56 am »

This just in....
http://freestateproject.org/libertyforum/2007/speakers

Confirmed: Michael Badnarik will be the Friday Keynote speaker

Other newly confirmed speakers:
* Christopher Gronski, New Hampshire coordinator for the We The People Foundation
* Joe McQuaid, Publisher of New Hampshire's statewide newspaper, The Union Leader
* Bill Westmiller, national chairman of the Republican Liberty Caucus

"Hagrid"

• FSP Participant
  • We don't need 20K... we just need you to move now.
Re: More Speakers Confirmed
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 05:31:01 am »

This just in....

Bleh, I think you just lost a lot of listeners.  His performance (especially compared to spending) was horrible in the Texas election.
He's lost credibility with many as a result.  I like Michael personally, but you can't find anyone else to Keynote?  If the Keynote is a speaking event with a charge, it should be someone people will pay to listen to, and Michael's losing that status fast.

Dreepa

• First 1000
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 08:49:24 am »

This just in....

Bleh, I think you just lost a lot of listeners.  His performance (especially compared to spending) was horrible in the Texas election.
He's lost credibility with many as a result.  I like Michael personally, but you can't find anyone else to Keynote?  If the Keynote is a speaking event with a charge, it should be someone people will pay to listen to, and Michael's losing that status fast.

yeah we have another keynote.... his name is John Stossel.

There are also some other speakers in the works.
And I am sure we can get 250 people to pay to hear Badnarik speak.

mappchik

• FSP Participant
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 09:16:25 am »

I will gladly pay to hear Mr. Badnarik speak. His constitutional lectures are said to be wonderful. I also expect his experiences with debating opponents and handling questions on the hot button issues with hostile reporters will be very helpful.

Regardless of the final results in his race for the house, the fact that he managed to stay a visible presence during the entire race, and to be enough on the minds of voters to figure high in the pre-election polling means his message was striking a chord. That the voters in his district reverted to their life-long comfort zone on election day says something awful about them, not Michael Badnarik. (Notice that Ron Paul doesn't run as a libertarian, even though he is well known in his district to be rLc.)

freedomroad

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2006, 09:29:06 pm »

This just in....

Bleh, I think you just lost a lot of listeners. 

His speech is just about free if you pay for the other stuff.  He is a nice guy and has lots of fans.   I don't know about anyone else, but I have my ticket.

KBCraig

• FSP Participant
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2006, 10:52:05 am »

This just in....

This should be his house-hunting trip, or perhaps his welcome "home".  ;D

Kevin

FTL_Ian

• FSP Participant/First 1000
  • Golden Porcupine
  • Former FSP, still in NH.
    • Free Keene - NH's Liberty Activism Destination
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2006, 03:45:37 am »

Seth, all LP candidates blew chunks as they usually do.  Blame Badnarik's campaign manager if you want someone to blame, or Texas voters, or Texas media.  Whomever you choose, the fact still remains Badnarik is a good candidate who also happened to be the LP pres candidate as well.

Plus, he's an FSP member.
150+ Reasons to Move to Keene : http://move.FreeKeene.com

Join the *other* liberty activism forum in NH: http://forum.shiresociety.com

Denis Goddard

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Free the Mallocs!
    • Free State Blogs
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2006, 09:08:27 am »

... and he's a damn good speaker. Intelligent, entertaining, informative, energizing.
If he'd come to NH and run as an (R), he just might dethrone Lynch in a few years' time  ;D

freedomroad

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2006, 10:00:11 am »

If he'd come to NH and run as an (R), he just might dethrone Lynch in a few years' time  ;D

no

He has what it takes to get elected to state rep as a R+D in a multi-rep district, maybe more.

Denis Goddard

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Free the Mallocs!
    • Free State Blogs
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2006, 02:44:48 pm »

no

He has what it takes to get elected to state rep as a R+D in a multi-rep district, maybe more.
He could easily be a Senator.... and the Prez of the Senate has more power than the Governor

bruehound

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2006, 03:51:34 pm »

I find Michael to be eloquent and engaging and I urge a full court press to get him to make the move to New Hampshire.

I believe his inner circle failed him by spending on administrative excess and inefficient communications and not funding direct voter contact(i.e. direct mail) as a critical priority.

And, yes, I would suggest he run as an R or D in NH.

KBCraig

• FSP Participant
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2006, 03:06:14 am »

He's lost credibility with many as a result.

I think you just lost a lot of credibility as an election analyst. At least where Texas is concerned.

Michael Badnarik won 4.33% of the votes in his district, which was the most of any Libertarian candidate in a 3-way race in Texas. The others ranged from less than 1%, to about 2.5%. Badnarik stood well above the average, by about twice.

LP-TX did almost no advertising. They don't even have a local chapter in most counties. And yet, they managed to field candidates in almost every state office, even those without a major party challenger.

In those races consisting of the (REP) or (DEM) incumbent and the (LIB) challenger, the Libertarians snagged 22-25% of the vote. It's obvious the anti-incumbent mood was high, and the Libertarians were "good enough" for those fed up with the GOP/DNC status quo.

It's also obvious that many of those who are willing to vote Libertarian, are afraid of voting (L), if it would mean the (R) or (D) would win (whichever they feel is a bigger threat.)

I can confirm that with an anecdote: When I voted in Texas on 11/07/06, I voted for two GOP incumbents (my Congressman, and Jerry Patterson for state agri commissioner). In every other race, I voted for the Libertarian. If there wasn't a Libertarian, I left it blank.

Kevin

RalphBorsodi

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2006, 04:22:16 am »

It's also obvious that many of those who are willing to vote Libertarian, are afraid of voting (L), if it would mean the (R) or (D) would win (whichever they feel is a bigger threat.)

Then the the only electoral strategy that makes sense is in a three way race to perfectly triangulate between the Rs and Ds so that you attract as many Rs as Ds so people don't feel it is necessary to engage in lesser evil voting.

garthwaited

• Administrator
  • First 1000
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2006, 02:16:21 pm »

I will gladly pay to hear Mr. Badnarik speak. His constitutional lectures are said to be wonderful.

See for yourself, instead of second hand conjecture.  You don't even have to pay:
   http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=michael+badnarik+class

garthwaited

• Administrator
  • First 1000
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2006, 02:21:27 pm »

About Badnarik's FSP promise, I think we should waylay him.  I'm hoping it's part of his speech, I really am, but if not lets grill him about it on the carpet.

He _is_ a man of principle.  He did sign up.  He did say that if he lost in TX he would move early.

I wish the First1000 had a two year horizon, so we could make him sign THAT.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up