Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thanks For Their Service [Bush Jr. Phenomenon?]  (Read 1026 times)

UCCO2004

Thanks For Their Service [Bush Jr. Phenomenon?]
« on: June 14, 2017, 10:26:12 am »

I have noticed something about the American military in the past 10-15 years, that our culture did not do in the '80s and '90s to my knowledge.

It is the phenomenon (which appears to have started under Bush Jr., especially after 9/11) of saying "Thanks for your service" to people affiliated with the U.S. military.

In my opinion, it is the neoconservative agenda to get people to obsessively think about what the military is doing overseas, especially in the Middle East.

First Bush Jr. started this custom, then Trump talks about "Our depleted military" when we already spend as much on our military as Russia, China, Iran, and North Korea combined.

[The only thing I agree with Trump about is "Our geriatric Air Force" with its Stratofortresses that were made in the 1950s, but then again, they are strategic bombers meant to drop nukes!]

Has anyone else out there noticed this phenomenon of "Thanks for your service"? 

I believe it was appropriate when the world was with us against Bin Laden, but after that morphed into the Iraq conflict/debacle/quagmire, and now we have ISIS, it's almost annoying to hear people say that same exact phrase 15 years later, instead of using original word choice they might use.  I'm not saying soldiers, Marines, airmen, sailors, etc. are unworthy of thanks, but I wish Bush Jr. (R) hadn't revived militarism around the same time Rangel (D) tried to reinstate the draft.

Anyone care to respond to this thread?

ThomJeff

Re: Thanks For Their Service [Bush Jr. Phenomenon?]
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 09:24:45 am »

Old OP but something I can speak to...

First thing, I recommend you read "Tribe" by Sebastian Junger - he puts my thoughts on paper more concisely.

TYFYS is insanely detrimental to the US, our communities, and the soldiers themselves. It may have meant something in '01-02...but I can't think of a single thing that rings more hollow than that phrase.

If anyone is still interested - I will elaborate.
Pages: [1]   Go Up