Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best town for single guy makin the move in month or so  (Read 1518 times)

jeffcap

Best town for single guy makin the move in month or so
« on: September 29, 2016, 02:14:07 pm »

Hello all,
Finally decided to make the move and join you all. I'm 38 single male and heading up from Florida solo with a dog. Any suggestions on cities/towns to check out that are affordable and have a community of free staters. Keene has sparked my interest, but seems a bit expensive from what I see on craigslist. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jeff

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
Re: Best town for single guy makin the move in month or so
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 07:02:09 pm »

Manchester is where the largest number of Free Staters are, though the highest per capita concentration is in Grafton (but there are no jobs in Grafton). There are also many in the suburbs of Manchester (Goffstown, Weare, Dunbarton, Hooksett, Amherst, Auburn). If you like outdoorsy stuff, you may want to get farther north, like New London, Andover, Ashland, Laconia, Tuftonboro, etc., etc.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

pudge27

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 11:27:32 am »

Hey Jeff,

So I recently moved to Hampstead in June. It's about 15 mins from MA and 30-45 mins from Manchester. If you want to come visit, and check out some of the surrounding towns, let shoot me a message.

Andrew

Retiree

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 02:07:18 am »

How does Portsmouth fair for Free State project members? It seems be a nice community at first glance, but it seems to get little mention here. Is there something I am missing?

The other area I would likely consider would be Hanover and the surrounding towns simply because I think proximity to a university would be nice.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 07:34:15 am »

The Praxeum is in Portsmouth, so it's a hub. https://freecoast.org/ But the city itself is extremely expensive and tightly zoned with high property taxes and some really bad politicians. Most Free Staters live in nearby towns rather than the city itself.

Same goes for Hanover, really, although Hanover is less densely populated and it really gets quite rural away from the College and the retail areas of Lebanon. We live in Lyme, the town just to the north, though probably not long-term. Ultimately, we'd like to live in a place like Croydon, about 35 minutes from the College.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

Retiree

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 12:30:41 am »

I must concede after living in the suburbs of Phoenix Arizona for a few years I would not mind an urban environment. While I am ideologically libertarian (as one might suspect on this forum) I tend to find myself driven to more liberal areas as opposed to conservative ones. More specifically I have always liked New Castle, but am not sure how practical living there would be.

If I was married I might be more keen to move to a more remote area, but I am concerned about venturing too far away from a city for lack of things to do.

KDus

• Made it halfway from CA.
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 04:49:06 pm »

Great topic. Cuz moving to NH will require becoming single; for me.

Based on experience, I think population size is the only metric that matters when we're over 25yo
Pages: [1]   Go Up