Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I Need Help In Making The Move  (Read 423 times)

mwstroberg

• FSP Participant
I Need Help In Making The Move
« on: April 25, 2017, 01:45:46 am »

Hi all, my name is Mark W. Stroberg, and I have been a Free State Project member since May of 2004. When I lost my job (I am a software engineer) in 2011 in Sunnyvale, CA, my woman and I ended up homeless for five months, living in a Safeway parking lot in my car. My former coworker, Kevin, helped us move to Montana and gave me a job with his remote software consulting business. Things have been up and down, but at least I've had food to eat and a roof over my head for 6 years now. The problem is, I want to thrive, not simply exist. My current situation is stultifying, and I have little freedom to maneuver, either employment wise or in regard to where I live. We are quite frugal, and do not squander our money. My medical expenses are fairly high, however, and it is really difficult to make ends meet. Any Obamacare policy would be an absolute joke, costing thousands of dollars a year and imposing thousands of dollars in deductibles.

We intend to make the move soon, within a month or two. While I can come up with the money to actually transport us to New Hampshire, I honestly don't know how I would pay for a deposit and first months rent on an apartment or rental property to live in for a month or so while I looked for work. I have several questions:

1. What area of New Hampshire would be the best for looking for a software engineering job? I am willing to commute a reasonable distance, perhaps even out of State. I am going to look for work before I move, but am going to move soon regardless, before my spirits fall any lower.
2. Is there any way to personally meet people on these forums? I would like to make a deal with an FSP member in NH, who could possibly provide a single room for us, for one month, with the understanding that whatever portion of the rent I was unable to pay for this month, would be repaid with interest once I was working. I will look on the housing forums, but it would be nice to talk to someone who actually lives in NH and can give me advice and help me to make connections.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks.

Mark W. Stroberg

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
Re: I Need Help In Making The Move
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 08:17:41 am »

Well, there's no substitute for actually visiting the state - PorcFest is the best opportunity for that. Meeting a large number of people will make it more likely that you'll "click" with someone. Does your partner also work?
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

mwstroberg

• FSP Participant
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 02:42:06 pm »

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I would be unable to get away, because of my work demands. I have wanted to attend PorcFest for many years. It really sounds like fun.

I referred to Violet as my "woman," but, essentially we have been living as husband and wife for ten years. She is disabled, and would lose her health insurance if we were legally married.

I am prepared to move to NH even without visiting, as the things I have read about it online are enough to sway me. Although I am from California, and was raised as quite a wimp as far as climate was concerned, I have spent six years here in Montana, so I am now quite accustomed to cold winters. I live in a very dry area, though, and I believe that virtually anywhere in NH would present more snowfall than where I am currently living. We like the snow though. Where I come from, we would get measurable snowfall (rarely more than a tenth of an inch) once every 20 or 30 years.

I will be looking for work first. If I could somehow get a full-time permanent position, I would probably be able to get an advance on my first month's salary, and would have no trouble paying my way up front. We'll see how that works out, though.

Levi

• RealtorĀ®. Photographer.
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 10:33:53 pm »

Are you on FB?  If so, I can tell you which groups to join to get a sense of the liberty community here.

mwstroberg

• FSP Participant
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 04:06:29 pm »

Levi,

Thanks. I do have a Facebook account, and would love to know about any groups whose names you could provide.

Mark W. Stroberg

mwstroberg

• FSP Participant
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 08:51:55 pm »

I have been doing some research on where to find software engineering jobs in or near NH. Apparently the best area is around Nashua, because of high-tech areas of NH, and also because of its close proximity and access to employment in MA. Is there anyone out here who could confirm this? Are there any Free Staters who are employed in the software industry who could give me any leads or suggestions?

Thanks.

Mark W. Stroberg

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 07:33:34 am »

Try this one first: https://www.facebook.com/groups/fspjobalert/ . Yes, Nashua area is best. Lots of software engineers in the FSP and I'm sure some will pipe up if you post there.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

mwstroberg

• FSP Participant
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 02:02:47 am »

Sorry for not replying earlier, Jason. I appreciate the response. I will try out the link you provided.

Thanks.

Mark W. Stroberg

wakko

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 10:17:52 am »

I'm in the Nashua area and also working in software. There's a few tech companies in the Nashua/Manchester area, a couple in Concord, and several more down in MA between Westford and Burlington. Obviously, there's always working in Boston, too. The commute into Boston is about an hour one-way, which sucks, but there's bus and train options that make it slightly less awful. So, you could easily live in NH and work in MA. It'd mean paying MA income tax, unfortunately. But, it's a necessary evil for a lot of folks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up