Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Obamacare  (Read 1466 times)

mistyeyes

Obamacare
« on: April 23, 2016, 03:08:57 pm »

So, in the vein of resistance to the oppressive state, how healthy is Obamacare in NH relative to anywhere else?  Anything not happening?  Any practical oppostion in the leg, or elsewhere, say along the lines of, as an example, stopping realid? Inquiring minds -really- would like to know.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
Re: Obamacare
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 04:07:23 pm »

Medicaid expansion is a very controversial issue. Currently, NH has a waiver from traditional Medicaid that allows the state to give recipients a voucher with which to buy private insurance. The expansion of this program was recently reauthorized by the legislature in a close vote. It will expire in 2 years unless renewed.

There's also an active movement for NH to join a health care compact that would take away health insurance regulation from the federal government and return it to a consortium of states. However, federal law will have to be changed to allow that.

Apart from policy, some people have found ways around Obamacare, for instance by using faith-based health cost sharing plans.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

JLTW

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 04:28:57 pm »

I've seen a lot of people take their healthcare into their own hands. Another option is to organize a community alternative to insurance, often called health sharing. There's always a workaround.

Stefan Molyneux talked a few times about the trend of young people not utilizing healthcare nearly as much, because they are at the peak of their health and don't plan for the future or emergencies until they have a few minor accidents, or close calls.

I was the complete opposite of this because I was born with a severe genetic disorder that left me in a lot of pain and was neglected for most of my life. Taking it into my own hands was the only way to end the misery and save my life. This brutal autonomy led me to a lot of "hacks" that allow me to take healthcare 100% into my own hands, also saving me hundreds of dollars- thousands per year.

TL;DR, Google has everything if you ask enough questions and ask them creatively. The FSP will help foster future community for healthy anarchist alternatives to statist medical disasters.

mistyeyes

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 06:12:35 pm »

Thank you to both of you for your time and the courtesy of your replies.

Tbh, I don't see much fundamental advantage to the idea of replacing federal oppression with local. But I guess it does somewhat improve the size of the frog relative to the size of the pond so I suppose it's worth doing from that point of view.

How much does "health sharing" cost as compared to the fine for not buying insurance? Are there requirements that must be met for a health sharing arrangement to result in not being liable for the fine? Blue sky: some people start their own religions so as to reduce exposure to tax; has anyone thought of starting their own insurance plan?

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2016, 08:02:52 pm »

There are strict requirements, and in fact I believe that the only health cost sharing arrangements that are allowed to exist are those that were in place before Obamacare passed. All of the existing ones are faith-based. Varrin & Edi Swearingen are involved in one; you could find out more from them.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

politicalGRAFFITI

• New Hampshire Underground Forum
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 09:24:47 pm »

We don't do Obamacare or much of anything else they "require".

mistyeyes

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 08:40:06 am »

I appreciate your reply.  Thank you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything