Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ethics & Economics Education  (Read 1244 times)

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
Ethics & Economics Education
« on: October 07, 2015, 08:46:39 am »

Last year, I started Ethics & Economics Education of New England (www.e3ne.org) with a mission of raising ethical and economic literacy in New Hampshire and Vermont. We have a world-class Board of Directors, including Jim Otteson (Wake Forest), Roger Ream (The Fund for American Studies), William Ruger (Charles Koch Institute), and Ingrid Gregg (Earhart Foundation).

Our two main programs are a high-school program called Ethics & Economics Challenge and a series of Big Idea conferences for policymakers.

The first involves going into high schools weekly to do Socratic discussions of topics in moral philosophy and economics. At the end of the year, the participating students get to compete for college scholarships by delivering speeches applying what they've learned to a public policy issue. They also get free books, like the Friedmans' _Free to Choose_ and Locke's _Second Treatise_. We ran this program in two high schools last year, but it was an abbreviated program in one of these schools. In the school with the full program, I gave the students a pre- and post-test to see how their knowledge improved, and I saw an average improvement of over 30%.

The Big Idea conferences are for state legislators in NH. We bring in national experts to present on issues of relevance to the legislature. Our first is on gambling policy and takes place on November 5 in the state capital. The idea behind these conferences is to bring the best research on the economic and social consequences of policy reforms to the attention of legislators, so that they can make better decisions.

If you want to support free enterprise education in New Hampshire, please support us! We are currently raising funds for books and scholarships for this year's Ethics & Economics Challenge program at Merrimack Valley High School in Concord, N.H. We'd like to expand to more schools, but all that is dependent on funding. To give, please go here: http://www.e3ne.org/give/ . I greatly appreciate your support!
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything