Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Homeschool-University  (Read 31523 times)

LoveFreedomAndLiberty

• Much of what I say is only my humble opinion
Homeschool-University
« on: October 04, 2011, 10:56:34 pm »

Does anyone know of any affordable, legitimate university/college level homeschool programs?  Is there a test at the end of the program so that the student has a legitimate degree to show employers?
"There has never been a good war or a bad peace." -Benjamin Franklin

John Edward Mercier

• Native
Re: Homeschool-University
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 11:04:55 pm »

Should be several on-line programs that are legit.

LoveFreedomAndLiberty

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 12:53:06 pm »

So, homeschooling does go beyond K-12?

What is the average cost to homeschool a K-12 child, and what is the cost to homeschool a university level student?

There are some places that offer onlines degrees, but that is not what I am talking about as the $37,000 (appx.) price tag for an online education still makes higher education out of budget for some families.  Some families/individuals might not want the extra debt/loans.

Also, some families might not want to fill out the applications that ask questions like "How many people live in your household?" "What high school did you go?" and so on.  Some people may just want an education without the many questions, and/or personal information required on some applications or finacial aid paperwork.  Some families may value privacy but still want an education.  So, homeschooling might be better for privacy and financial reasons for some people.  Just an opinion.

I am just curious if homeschooling exists for higher education?  Anyone know of any specific providers?  Are the degrees respected by employers?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 01:02:31 pm by LoveFreedomAndLiberty »

Toowm

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 05:40:37 pm »

The Gary North system would serve as a good way to homeschool college with an accredited degree as proof.
toowm
Porc -- The Other, Other White Meat

Toowm

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 05:42:09 pm »

Found this as a general caution for those that seek to change education through start-ups:

http://avichal.wordpress.com/2011/10/07/why-education-startups-do-not-succeed/
toowm
Porc -- The Other, Other White Meat

Jacobus

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 11:40:37 am »

Try MIT's Open Courseware:

http://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm

oddonesout

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 11:29:16 am »

Blake Boles, author of College Without High School, and founder of Unschool Adventures, has created Zero Tuition College.  http://www.ztcollege.com/   My kids are a little too young for it right now but it seems pretty awesome.    Jessica

Alex Libman

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 12:05:30 am »

MIT OpenCourseWare is great, and lots of universities are following in its footsteps.  This week's foremost example:

From Slashdot -- Stanford's Free Computer Science Courses --

Stanford University is offering the online world more of its undergraduate level CS courses.  These free courses consist of YouTube videos with computer-marked quizzes and programming assignments.  The ball had been started rolling by Sebastian Thrun and Peter Norvig's free online version of their Stanford AI class, for which they hoped to reach an audience in the order of a hundred thousand, a target which they seem to have achieved.

As well as the previously announced Machine learning course, you can now sign up to any of:  Computer Science 101, Software as a Service, Human-Computer Interaction, Natural Language Processing, Game Theory, Probabilistic Graphical Models, Cryptography and Design, and Analysis of Algorithms.  Almost a complete computer science course and they are adding more.  Introductory videos and details are available from each courses website.

There are lots of others.  The Khan Academy starts at the beginning, but some of their videos [BT] could be considered college-level.

I think we're already passed the point where you can get an excellent college-equivalent education online for free, at least in the most common study areas.  If not now, then soon for sure.  What's needed is more certification programs that can objectively verify people's knowledge and ability without making them jump through hoops the way colleges do...

LoveFreedomAndLiberty

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 09:58:00 pm »

Thank you for the great links and info. 

escapist_reborn

• Liberating the world one graphic at a time!
    • Graphical Liberation Front
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 10:48:55 pm »

I'll have to chime in and mention my school, George Wythe University. They are an excellent small school in Utah, and I completed my four-year degree there, spending only one (by choice) on-campus. I would recommend them above any other university in the world, especially for libertarians and others who march to the beat of a different drummer:

http://www.gw.edu/
Joël Valenzuela<br />Chief Contrabandist, Graphical Liberation Front

LoveFreedomAndLiberty

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 02:57:37 pm »

powerline87

• Pro-Life, Minarchist Libertarian, Engineer
    • Facebook profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2012, 08:57:46 pm »

If you decide to homeschool your kids, they should learn the official stuff probably from the books used by public schools, but they should learn their REAL economics starting in what would be like 6th grade with Peter Schiff's book, "How an Economy Grows and Why It Crashes," then moving on to Henry Hazlitt's "Economics in One Lesson," for a full understanding of the basics, then moving on to things, if they really care, like Ron Paul's "End the Fed," the History of Economic Thought books by Murray Rothbard, and maybe even Ludwig von Mises's "The theory of Money and Credit," which I only recommend (and I haven't even finished it yet), to someone who is really interested in it and has a LOT of free time.  Get the rest of your econ material from Tom Woods and mises.org

Also, have them read the "Politically Incorrect Guide to History," by Tom Woods at what would be like 8th grade.  Then, a book I'm going to start reading at some point, and what I heard is really good and in-depth for US Colonial History, is Murray Rothbard's "Conceived in Liberty," which is around 1600 pages long.

I am NOT a teacher (although people have told me a should have been... I do tend to over-explain stuff sometimes.), but these books were interesting and informative for me.

I never learned Latin, but I look it up, and apparently the easiest way to learn Latin is with a book called "LINGVA LATINA", which I started reading, but then got to busy with other stuff to continue reading.  You have to schedule out time every day to learn if you want to, and I don't really make schedules for myself, so, that never really took off, but I have learned a little bit of Latin, not enough for a conversation yet, but the book seems to be good, as it teaches through Immersion (all the sentences are Latin, you have to figure out what they mean while you read it based off the pictures and the context in the sentences).

Math and Physics would be easier for me because they're actually related to my major, but I'ld look for textbooks used in a public school's AP (Advanced Placement) math and science classes, and base your material off of that.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 08:59:21 pm by powerline87 »

EricMasters

• FSP Participant
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 03:51:05 pm »

I'll have to chime in and mention my school, George Wythe University. They are an excellent small school in Utah, and I completed my four-year degree there, spending only one (by choice) on-campus. I would recommend them above any other university in the world, especially for libertarians and others who march to the beat of a different drummer:

While I'm sure this is a fine institution, I believe it's fair for everyone to be aware of this which I got off of the school's website:

"At present, George Wythe University is not accredited by a regional or national accrediting agency. GWU is currently pursuing accreditation of its on-campus undergraduate program, and fully intends to accredit all programs as soon as possible thereafter. Meanwhile, our alumni still regularly gain admittance to law school and other graduate programs."

escapist_reborn

• Liberating the world one graphic at a time!
    • Graphical Liberation Front
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 04:48:02 pm »

While I'm sure this is a fine institution, I believe it's fair for everyone to be aware of this which I got off of the school's website:

"At present, George Wythe University is not accredited by a regional or national accrediting agency. GWU is currently pursuing accreditation of its on-campus undergraduate program, and fully intends to accredit all programs as soon as possible thereafter. Meanwhile, our alumni still regularly gain admittance to law school and other graduate programs."

While I'm sure the non-accreditation concern can be a valid one, I believe it's fair for everyone to be aware that my unaccredited degree still got me into the White House. I've never had problems because of it... quite to the contrary, in fact.
Joël Valenzuela<br />Chief Contrabandist, Graphical Liberation Front

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 06:17:55 pm »

Liberal arts colleges don't need accreditation.  This was one of the reasons that some of use have been looking into setting up an actual liberal arts college for liberty bound porcs.  The idea being that students graduating from high school could make the move now and actually live in the Granite State while pursuing a degree.  If techical courses are your deal, science/computer/engineering type courses could serve as the "electives," and possibly even a "minor."
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up