Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some questions on New Hampshire (and Hanover in particular)  (Read 223 times)

2ndattempt

Some questions on New Hampshire (and Hanover in particular)
« on: September 25, 2017, 01:49:29 pm »

Hello. I have known about the FSP for a decade but haven't signed the Statement of Intent. I'm an immigrant from India. I'm considering moving to New Hampshire because basically I want to be left alone, and my current state is awful with the usual mix of taxing/spending/regulating.

I'm looking to learn about NH from a liberty perspective. Which non-rural municipalities are freer? Due to my personal situation, Hanover may have the best job fit. How is Hanover for someone with limited government preferences, as compared to say, Keene or Manchester?

Right now, I'm caught between the "Who will build the roads?" and MAGA crowds and I want out. My property tax is north of 3.5% of appraised value, and state tax burden is about 10% of income. I'm hoping that New Hampshire will be a nice change. Features I'm looking for in a community are: walkability, decent private K-12 school with a STEM focus (or a good public school), activities for kids (swim lessons, skiing, etc.), and decent dining options. My wife and I would prefer a friendly, family-oriented community.

Thanks!

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
Re: Some questions on New Hampshire (and Hanover in particular)
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 02:44:10 pm »

I live in Lyme and work in Hanover. It's definitely a family-friendly area with good schools, skiing, swimming, and restaurants. The whole micropolitan area probably has a population of about 60,000.

While a great place to live in some respects, it's also one of the most strictly zoned and highest-taxed parts of the state, unless you move to one of the blue-collar exurbs. Your property tax would probably be at or close to what it is now (but of course no income or sales tax). Residential homes are surprisingly expensive for a semi-rural area. However, on the fringes of the greater Hanover-Leb area you will find towns like Orford, Canaan, and Grafton that have no zoning, or towns like Plainfield, Cornish, and Croydon that have school choice (send your kid to private school for free or a deep discount) for at least some grades. Croydon is also one of the lowest-taxed towns in the state. But then commuting to Hanover or Lebanon will take you at least 25 minutes.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism
Pages: [1]   Go Up