Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What made you change state preference?  (Read 1400 times)

Sebastian

• FSP Participant
  • Elderado
What made you change state preference?
« on: July 02, 2003, 09:24:10 pm »

You were almost convinced you knew which state had your preference, but then you noticed this one thing that made you change your mind.

What was that one thing?

What state initially had your preference, and what state now has your preference?
Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for yourself.

jenlee

• FSP Participant
  • Freedom Lover
Re:What made you change state preference?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2003, 09:54:20 pm »

While I have yet decided which state I would/will vote for, one has come along from back in to the middle with me.

And why? Proof. Real proof. And that is the only way I would/will vote, for the state that can show me enough proof this will work there.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2003, 09:55:34 pm by jenlee »
Choices. One, plenty of room to expand. Two, freeze em and stack em like cords of wood, thaw em out to vote and then refreeze em. Choices.

StevenN

• Friend of the FSP
Re:What made you change state preference?
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2003, 10:18:53 pm »

Well, I can't say that one certain factor made me change my mind from WY to NH. But I think there's one that could be fairly unique, and it was still crucial to my "switch".

Actually, it was the "people" in each state.

On these boards, I have heard much about WY from non-natives. Now, this can be a good thing. However, I think the "people" are the one real factor. And I think that a non-native can only know so much about "the people". You've mentioned you're from Holland. I can look at data, read newspapers, etc., and maybe get a good understanding about the Dutch people. But you'd have to admit that, unless I have lived among the Dutch and experienced the Dutch culture, I really can't get a true feel for what they're like.

So, when trying to gauge "the people", I look more at what natives say.

First, the Libertarian Party gubernatorial candidate in the most recent election came out and said that he did not think that the FSP would be successful in WY. Those who were pro-WY immediately came out and accused this man of being a loser (hey, he's running on the LP ticket, what does he know about success?) and a looney. I did not see it that way. The WY LP has had a good amount of "success" and they seem to be among the better of the state LP's (I think they have major party status). One would imagine that they would put their best foot forward for a gubernatorial race. I would also think that he would have at least SOME experience in WY politics. So if a man who has some insider knowledge of the WY political scene and someone who is a native says the FSP won't work their, I assume that he has at least some substantiation to his claim. Certainly this high-profile state libertarian would have something to gain with the FSP moving there?

I then contrast this statement with how receptive the gov. of NH has been to the FSP, welcoming us with open arms. Even if you think he's just a dirty statist politician (evidence proves otherwise), it would show that the powers-that-be in the state are willing to schmooze us to get our support; and that "libertarians" are already a powerful force in NH.

Now, the second native will come as a surprise to WY supporters: "WyoRancher" certainly pushed me away from WY (a rancher from WY posted a while back, not a FSP member). Now, no doubt, WyoRancher was a "freedom-lover". It wasn't his comments on freedom or the FSP that bothered me.

First:

And you also need to take great care, because if the government wants you out, they can EASILY do it, based on the way you have structured things. Wyoming's livelihood comes from its natural resources. All they would have to do is to tell Marathon Oil to shut down a few of its facilities, and unemployment would skyrocket, and FSP would be blamed (and with the liberal media coming from Denver, you can count on that).

This points out what I believe to be a weakness in WY for those who want to stand up to the feds: leverage. It seems like WY, even if the people wanted to, would have a harder time effectively standing up. WY seems to have many more "liabilites" than NH - more monetary dependency, Yellowstone, federal employees, etc. It seems that NH has more ability to stand up to the feds with little fed dependency and actual monetary outflows to DC. But this wasn't really crucial.

I could be off-base, but I got a certain "vibe" from this Wyomingite. Now, I believe that the people of NH and WY are probably equal in terms of "friendliness" (both very friendly). But I had a feeling that, in order for Wyomingites to listen to porcupines, a great deal of "conformity" needed. Meaning, "hey, I'll take your ideas to heart, and consider your propositions, but only if you are 'one of us'". Not that they'd be hostile, but that, if you're too "different" (not gritty and cowboy-esque), they won't consider what you have to say and generally ignore you. A rural westerner may feel quite comfortable in that type of environment. But as someone who's a bit quirky and doesn't really fit that mold, I would not only feel "uncomfortable", but I feel that Wyomingites wouldn't really hear what I'd have to say. Even if I did conform, I'd be worried that, if I happen to not present the ideas in freedom in just the right light, my activism would fail. Basically, I feel like it would be like walking a tightrope.

Now, I contrasted this to how I percieved the "people" of NH from NH natives. I found people that were not only friendly, but seemed to be very accepting of people for who they were. Not to mention, all the positive/neutral comments about the FSP from NH papers. Whenever I heard about people talking about the FSP to NH natives, the comments tended to be along the lines of being welcome (no one seemed to even think of the FSP as an "invasion") and successful. Lots of these comments came from people next door in VT and MA.
"A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man" -- Jebediah Springfield
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything