Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: From Texas looking to move to New Hampshire to Join the FSP!  (Read 3623 times)

Holly2020

From Texas looking to move to New Hampshire to Join the FSP!
« on: March 14, 2015, 09:36:13 pm »

Hey everyone, my name is Holly and I currently live in Texas. I became involved in activism back in 2011 and joined a group in the DFW area for the RP 2012 campaign. We held numerous events to spread the message of liberty. We spent most of our time training on the convention process and went to the Republican convention as delegates. We were successful in getting one liberty minded delegate to the convention as an alternate. Since then I have remained involved mostly in state affairs. There is a good network of liberty minded people in Texas and they are making strides. But I, along with my family, are looking to make the move to NH to be a part of the FSP and live in a liberty friendly state. I've been researching NH but still have some questions.  Just looking for ideas on best towns for housing, high schools and of course FSP events. We would like to be in an affordable rental market to begin with but would eventually like to buy. I have a teenage son in High School who is very active in music in theater. Looking for community theater and choral/barbershop groups as well. Are there towns that have larger amounts of FSP participants? Any info you can provide would be amazing!

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
Re: From Texas looking to move to New Hampshire to Join the FSP!
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 09:54:50 am »

This spreadsheet contains lots of info on NH towns: http://www.dartmouth.edu/~jsorens/nhtowns2.xls I believe liberty603.com has mapped some of this info, which helps to see where the towns are located. I would say Grafton is the town with the most FSP movers per capita and Manchester with the highest absolute number of FSP movers. It's a small state, unlike Texas, so it's easy to drive to meet people in different towns. Also, county government is very small, and most important decisions are made at the town level, and these towns cannot be annexed against their will as in Texas. So there's much more choice and robust competition among local government in NH than in TX.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

KBCraig

• FSP Participant
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 07:17:46 pm »

Welcome!

We moved from Texas to far northern NH, and couldn't be happier.

freedomroad

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 11:24:51 pm »

I lived in TX for a time. I'm much happier in NH :)

We have about the same amount of ice, more snow, but no fire or crazy ants. Hardly any roaches and no known locations of poisonous snakes either. The diseases the ticks have here tend to be worse, though :(

Anyway, I enjoy the climate, the activists, and the tax structure better here.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 08:00:25 pm by 1DayAtATime »

Holly2020

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 06:47:11 pm »

Hey everyone, thank you for the info. Its great to hear that the move from Texas to NH was awesome!

Good to know most of the activism is very local. There is a some activism here for state wide issues but not so much local. There a a couple local movements in North Texas but mostly targeted at one specific issue, not liberty in general. It's still a very small base of those who even make any attempt to be involved.
We are looking at a move in about six months. I would really love to come visit first but financially I don't think we can afford two trips! So this would be a blind move ;)
We have been researching the towns and I think I would like to be in the southern area of the state but most importantly want to be around other free staters. Would like some recommendations or just personal opinions on the southern towns.
I know to contact the Welcome Wagon when we make the move but I would love to talk to someone in general about the people and lifestyle..It would be great to know a few people before we head that way.

freedomroad

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 08:08:50 pm »

Hey everyone, thank you for the info. Its great to hear that the move from Texas to NH was awesome!

Good to know most of the activism is very local. There is a some activism here for state wide issues but not so much local. There a a couple local movements in North Texas but mostly targeted at one specific issue, not liberty in general. It's still a very small base of those who even make any attempt to be involved.
We are looking at a move in about six months. I would really love to come visit first but financially I don't think we can afford two trips! So this would be a blind move ;)
We have been researching the towns and I think I would like to be in the southern area of the state but most importantly want to be around other free staters. Would like some recommendations or just personal opinions on the southern towns.

There are maybe a couple 100 free staters in Manchester. Maybe a couple 100 more in the towns within a 20 minute drive of Manchester. The government schools in Manchester are some of the worst in the state.

I assume you are planning on renting your first year here. A lot of apartment places don't like big dogs.

You might be able to find more specific answers to questions relating to southeastern NH on the FB group. None of the people that have replied to your here live in that part of the state. https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheFreeStateProject/

There is also a housing group.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/123673281001783/

Holly2020

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 06:13:21 pm »

Great info, thanks for the links and info about Manchester schools.

My first thought was to rent due to our situation. But I am actually selling a property here and and now really looking to buy and re-invest. Doing some research on the market.

Hard part really is that I have a son who is 15. Based on his interests, I would like to be within 30 miles (or thirty minute drive,lol) of MA. Also, he has been in government schools his whole life..He hates it almost as much as I do, but he is very involved in choir and theater programs. I hate to take that away from him on top of the move. I have to work. There is no option of homeschooling myself.

** Question though, are there home-school groups that actually do the lessons in place of the parent and do the current laws protect this? If not might have to look in to the fight...

He is very active now in community theater and barbershop music so there is outside activity to take the place of school programs and I would like to continue that. I have the barbershop info but need info on community theater programs.

Really looking for the low key lifestyle, very rural, very beautiful and very free....

I am so turned off by the word community anymore. The progressives use the word so frequently to defend their theft of my money and my choices that I get the chills when I just hear the word. I hope that can change. Cannot wait to be around people who understand the daily struggle of just wanting to be free so bad it hurts to the core...

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 07:49:03 pm »

There's a big theater and music scene for teenagers here in the Upper Valley area. A couple of links... http://ncct.org/ http://revelsnorth.org/
We haven't started homeschooling yet, but I know many homeschooling families do pool or "swap" instruction in advanced subjects.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

freedomroad

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2015, 09:02:22 pm »

Great info, thanks for the links and info about Manchester schools.

My first thought was to rent due to our situation. But I am actually selling a property here and and now really looking to buy and re-invest. Doing some research on the market.

Hard part really is that I have a son who is 15. Based on his interests, I would like to be within 30 miles (or thirty minute drive,lol) of MA. Also, he has been in government schools his whole life..He hates it almost as much as I do, but he is very involved in choir and theater programs. I hate to take that away from him on top of the move. I have to work. There is no option of homeschooling myself.

If you want to keep him in government schools, you could rent an apartment for a couple years in Derry or until he graduates. Look for a place to buy during that time. Derry has one of the largest high schools in the state. It is a private school but it is the go to high school for several towns in the area. The campus is larger than most community colleges. I'm sure it has plenty of programs. You can look through it. http://www.pinkertonacademy.org/ The property taxes are too high in Derry to buy, though.

I don't know much about the home schooling community in NH. There is some information here. https://freestateproject.org/resources/education/homeschooling
Pages: [1]   Go Up