Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Prospects for Private School Teachers  (Read 2111 times)

frannyglass

Prospects for Private School Teachers
« on: February 26, 2015, 09:02:13 pm »

My husband and I are libertarian and classically liberal, respectively, and currently reside in Texas.  As native Northeasterners, however, we have a two- to three-year plan to move to Northern New England.  New Hampshire appeals to our political sensibilities as well as our desire for natural beauty; we appreciate the conservatism of Texas but our city makes the aesthetic impression of a parking lot.  We lived in Vermont once, but were frightened away by self-proclaimed Marxists.

We both teach humanities, primarily in private, college preparatory schools.  I am particularly interested in classical schools.  We are realistic, however, and would be willing to work in public schools; we can apply for reciprocity to obtain NH certification.  What is the likelihood that we will be able to procure positions in our field within reasonable commuting distance of each other?  We understand that we might have to be separated for a year.  How important is proximity to attracting even an invitation for an interview?  Will living outside of New Hampshire severely limit our opportunities?  If so, would it be worth it to take a sub-par job and continue to search when we arrive?  We have been researching all of the NH private secondary schools and we keep tabs on the Diocese of Manchester school employment website (we are Catholic).  Are there any resources that you can recommend?

Liberty603

• FSP Participant
  • Mover #586
    • Liberty603.com
Re: Prospects for Private School Teachers
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 09:08:50 pm »

Welcome!  :)

You may find this article interesting:
https://freestateproject.org/blogs/mover-stories/we-made-move-pre-stater-edition-rick-honer

Proximity will be at least somewhat limiting but if you're willing and able to come up for an interview and can do a good job of conveying your seriousness about relocating, I'd think that with a little persistence you'd have a good shot.

Keep a close eye on this site for job opportunities:
http://careers.nais.org/jobs?keywords=new+hampshire
-------------------------------------
Update your address@Porcfest@FreeStateNH  |  New Hampshire Liberty Maps: Liberty603.com | @Liberty_603

frannyglass

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 09:17:30 pm »

Thank you for your reply!  We check the NAIS website daily.  Unfortunately, as indicated in the article from your link, our field is in the least demand; that is why we are resigned to the possibility of being separated.  Perhaps things will look up once I graduate with an M.A. in my subject matter (in 2016).  I did manage to land my college prep position in TX all the way from Maryland, but I imagine it is more difficult in NH with the more limited market.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 09:18:32 pm »

Of possible interest:
http://www.carneysandoe.com/

It's a small state, so even if you end up in different towns, you may be able to commute to both without too much trouble.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

Liberty603

• FSP Participant
  • Mover #586
    • Liberty603.com
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 09:41:35 pm »

It sounds like you're quite on top of it and may have already done this, but if I were in your position I would definitely mail resumes and cover letters to any and all schools that might be possibilities.

This obviously depends on your personal situation and preferences, but it's certainly imaginable that one of you might be offered a job at a private boarding school and the numbers could still work on one income, because with free room and board your expenses can be very low.

That said, there are many decent public schools in NH if one of you is willing to go that route.

Best of luck and hope to see you in NH soon  :)
-------------------------------------
Update your address@Porcfest@FreeStateNH  |  New Hampshire Liberty Maps: Liberty603.com | @Liberty_603

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 10:12:21 pm »

Maybe also consider schools in neighboring states, like Thetford Academy in Vermont. I know there are some Catholic high schools just across the border in Mass. as well.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

frannyglass

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 05:58:30 pm »

Thank you for your responses.  We have a few résumés out for advertised teaching opportunities in NH, northern Mass, and western Maine.  Keeping our fingers crossed...
Pages: [1]   Go Up