Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Floridians asking about tips for NH Winter  (Read 3782 times)

Adrum

Floridians asking about tips for NH Winter
« on: February 05, 2015, 11:16:44 am »

My family & I are considering a move to NH to join the FSP.  We are from Orlando, FL, so as I'm sure you get all the time from Southerners on this forum, we're wondering about the Winters.  I'm originally from up north, though I've been in FL for well over 30 years now.  I know about acclimatization and I know about dressing for the weather.  But, I've not experienced a true winter for more than a week in over 30 years.  So, I'm just wondering, do you have any tips for us Floridians to make a NH Winter easier?

My wife & kids have never seen snow and their idea of freezing is anything below 50.  I keep telling them that wet/humid cold, like we have here (in Orlando, by the way), is a more chilling type of cold than dry cold, but they don't have any idea what I'm talking about.  Is the NH winter a dry cold?  What about by the Seacoast, is it more of a wet cold there?

Any tips or info you can give us to help us be better prepared for a NH Winter would be greatly appreciated.  I'm also thinking about vacationing there next Winter, possibly at Attitash Mountain Village in Bartlett, The Village of Loon Mountain in Lincoln, or Cold Spring Resort in Ashland -- anyone familiar with these places want to offer suggestions?

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
Re: Floridians asking about tips for NH Winter
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 11:30:07 am »

Take winter seriously and buy what you need to be comfortable: waterproof, insulated boots and gloves, hats, scarves, finger & toe warmers if necessary. For the car: ice scraper and deicing windshield fluid. Snow shovel. Your car must be front-wheel drive at least. 4WD and snow tires will help you in particularly difficult spots, like icy, unpaved, steep driveways.

Have fun with it. Learn to ski and/or ice skate, get snowshoes, get out there.

Wet/dry cold... It varies. I think we're substantially wetter than a place like Colorado. Unlike Chicago or Buffalo or the high plains, though, there isn't a lot of wind here, unless you're on top of a mountain or right by the ocean.

I've never stayed at any of the places you've mentioned, but Ashland is really not in the White Mountains - it's just south of them - so if you really want to be in the mountains, I'd go with Loon Mountain, Attitash, or similar places.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

Adrum

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 07:59:55 am »

Thanks for the tips, Jason!  If we do this, I'm definitely getting into snow skiing. 

RP2016

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 07:31:28 am »

If you arrive in summer and let your body acclimate to the changing seasons you'll be fine. I currently live in Maryland and right now it is about 10 degrees outside with little wind and it just doesn't feel that cold anymore because we have had a really cold winter. In November if I stepped outside and it was 10 degrees I would be freezing.

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 04:27:44 pm »

exactly ... move here in summer and just keep adding layers
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

FTL_Ian

• FSP Participant/First 1000
  • Golden Porcupine
  • Former FSP, still in NH.
    • Free Keene - NH's Liberty Activism Destination
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 12:35:34 am »

I'm a FL native and am skinny - I get cold easily.  I've never looked back after having been gone for almost a decade from Florida.

Seasons are neat!  Get good winter gear and if you over-dress, you can always take off a layer.  Drive carefully in winter conditions - don't be a in hurry.  Look at the ground when walking in winter conditions. 

With any luck you won't crash your car into a ravine and/or break bones falling on ice.  You can't have reward without a little risk! Come on up!  ;D

Number one rule for winter: don't get cocky.

Oh, and nothing here is as devastating weather-wise as a hurricane.  There's just the problem with freezing to death because the power goes out too long.
150+ Reasons to Move to Keene : http://move.FreeKeene.com

Join the *other* liberty activism forum in NH: http://forum.shiresociety.com

freedomroad

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 10:42:48 am »

Oh, and nothing here is as devastating weather-wise as a hurricane.  There's just the problem with freezing to death because the power goes out too long.

Um, yeah, I don't think that is a big concern.  People are much, much more likely to die from being too hot in the apartment than being too cold.

You do bring up a good point, though. IMO, no matter where you live, it makes sense to be prepared. I recommend always keeping at least a few days of food, water and supplies at your house. In NH, that might include a pair of wool socks for everyone in the family, plus wool blankets. Ladies/kids wool socks are $3 at Ocean State Job Lot.

I'm a Southern guy. I bought a wool steering wheel cover. It's great in the South to keep your hands from getting wet. It keeps my hand warm in the North. $10. I was able to ditch the seat cover that I used in the South to keep my legs from getting wet while in a car in the summer. I was also able to ditch the sun protector I'd put on my dash to keep the sun out of my car. However, I spent $15 and bought a tarp. If a big snow storm is coming (I don't have a garage or carport), I put the tarp over my car. When I'm ready to drive, I take the tarp off. No cleaning of the car required :)

To keep my feet warm in the winter, I bought slippers. $15. Really good winter coats are $20 to $40 at stores like Ocean State Job Lot or you can buy them a lot cheaper at a used clothing place. I bought a winter hat for when I do sports outside in the winter. Walmart had a nice Boston Red Sox winter hat for $5. I took up snowshoeing as a fun winter activity. $40 from Ocean State Job Lot.

There are a ton of us Southerners that relocated to NH as part of the FSP. I even know of a Mexican that moved here. You will likely do great up there :)

James D.

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 11:23:15 pm »

Is the NH winter a dry cold?  What about by the Seacoast, is it more of a wet cold there?

Seacoast man here! I'd classify NH cold as a "dry cold," though not as dry as places out west (like the Rockies, for instance). All in all, I find the cold here to be highly bearable, especially if you live in one of the less rural parts with plows and so on. Here in Dover, we've just carved little paths with snowblowers on the sidewalks and the plows handle the roads. So we just get 3.5 ft railings on either side for walking the dog :)

But the roads here are great, almost none of these storms actually impact life, and plus - we have a never-ending supply of libertarians to hang out with. And it sounds like you're a family man, which is great! Lots and lots of families have made the move in the past couple of years.

And hey, if you come up and make a visit, track me down and we'll get you upright on downhill skis in no time. Water skiing is a 1.5/10 compared to downhill skiing once you have the hang of it!

KBCraig

• FSP Participant
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 09:26:57 am »

I'm at the opposite corner of the state from the Seacoast, so I don't know about down there, but up here it's definitely a "dry cold".

You should have seen our teenage son's eyes bug out the first time he heard that it was too cold to snow. "Where did you move us to, that it gets too cold to snow?!?!"

But yeah, any time it's below 10 degrees, there is zero moisture in the air. It can snow when it's colder than that, but not much.

And the crazy thing is that that's when it's most comfortable outside, as long as there's no wind.

I keep telling them that wet/humid cold, like we have here (in Orlando, by the way), is a more chilling type of cold than dry cold, but they don't have any idea what I'm talking about.

You get to go tell them that you're right. :)

My wife and kids spent 15 months up here while I was still working in Texas. I would come visit when I could, and the first January I stepped out on the porch for more kindling to rebuild the fire, about 3 a.m.  I was wearing just flannel lounge pants, a long sleeve tee, and slippers. It was -27, and no wind, and I didn't feel even slightly cold.

The next day I flew into DFW, where it was 34 and freezing rain... and that is when I froze my ass off! There is nothing more miserable than "winters" where it's in the 30s-40s and raining.

I'm also thinking about vacationing there next Winter, possibly at Attitash Mountain Village in Bartlett, The Village of Loon Mountain in Lincoln, or Cold Spring Resort in Ashland -- anyone familiar with these places want to offer suggestions?

A winter vacation might be too much of a shock for them. I'd suggest the summer (like PorcFest), or Fall foliage season (just get reservations in advance, because that's the most expensive and sold out time of year).

Our background: I spent three years in Germany in the Army, but other than that I lived in Arkansas or Texas for 50 years. My wife spent some time in Iowa as a kid, but lived in Louisiana all her life. Our kids were all born in Louisiana or Texas and lived in those states or Arkansas; for all of them, a quarter inch of snow constituted an "emergency", with schools closed and the stores bare of bread and milk.

We arrived on October 1, and after the first winter everyone was acclimated just fine. They all love it up here, especially having real seasons. One son now lives in Milwaukee, one is in Watertown NY, and two are still here with us. So, no one has been scared away by the winter weather!

KBCraig

• FSP Participant
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 09:30:36 am »

Oh, and a Facebook friend is vacationing in Orlando right now. He just posted a picture of his daughter in the outdoor pool -- all alone, because it was 68 and raining, and everyone was inside hiding from the "cold".  ;D

Adrum

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 01:41:30 pm »

Thanks for all the great responses "y'all".  I truly appreciate getting some input from people who are actually there and have actually gone through the whole acclimatization thing.

As a follow up note to my original post, we've booked a Summer vacation in Ashland, NH for the 4th of July, at Cold Spring.  We'll be there for a week.  I'm really looking forward to it!  And perhaps I'll still be able to pull off a Winter vacation next year -- I've been snow skiing before and loved it, but it's been a couple decades as I was just a kid at the time.  I never would have imagined it would be so long before I was able to hit the slopes again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything