Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Future mover wants to join FSP  (Read 4023 times)

Birdman

Future mover wants to join FSP
« on: January 26, 2015, 12:48:34 am »

Hi, I am an 18 year old libertarian from Long Island, New York. A while ago, I came to the conclusion that New York is no place for any Liberty loving individual to live and I began to search for a Freedom friendly state to call home. No state seemed quite right until I found New Hampshire. I then decided that after college I would be moving to NH. Then one day I heard about the FSP while watching YouTube videos about New Hampshire. I was interested and did some research and I decided that I want to join. I very much would like to be an FSF activist, but I would also like to pursue a career as a forest ranger, which is a government job, would I catch much flak from the other participants for that? I will be moving to New Hampshire regardless, but I would really like to Join The Free State Project.

elkingrey

• Daily Anarchist
Re: Future mover wants to join FSP
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 06:23:48 am »

Why do you want to be a forest ranger?

Birdman

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 04:24:06 pm »

The reason I want to be a forest ranger is because I love nature and the outdoors and want to help protect it.  Forest rangers provide assistance to both private and state forestry agencies, forest rangers are often the first responders to natural or manmade threats to forest areas and rangelands. They help to fight forest fires and they perform search and rescue missions to save lost or injured hikers, hunters, skiers and avalanche victims. Another important part of a forest ranger's job is educating the public. Rangers are often called upon to speak with groups of adults and kids to educate about fire safety and how to enjoy the forest without harming it or themselves. They also sometimes speak in schools or summer camps. Also, the job does not require me to kidnap anyone and lock them in cages, so it is compatible with my libertarian beliefs. Also this may sound stupid, but I've wanted to be a forest ranger ever since I was a little kid.

elkingrey

• Daily Anarchist
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 05:36:39 pm »

I hate to break it to you, but if you want to protect the forests you probably don't want to work for the government. Most of the big forest fires, at least in California, are started by government employees. Furthermore, government shouldn't even own forests, or any thing for that matter.

I would look into becoming an arborist and finding private employment in the forest industry. But that's just my two cents.

I highly recommend this old, but very good, interview of Walter Block. Don't let its poor quality discourage you from watching it. It may totally change your paradigm about the government as protector of nature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMxgYY_q-AI

freedomroad

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 07:41:25 pm »

Hi, I am an 18 year old libertarian from Long Island, New York. A while ago, I came to the conclusion that New York is no place for any Liberty loving individual to live and I began to search for a Freedom friendly state to call home. No state seemed quite right until I found New Hampshire. I then decided that after college I would be moving to NH. Then one day I heard about the FSP while watching YouTube videos about New Hampshire. I was interested and did some research and I decided that I want to join. I very much would like to be an FSF activist, but I would also like to pursue a career as a forest ranger, which is a government job, would I catch much flak from the other participants for that? I will be moving to New Hampshire regardless, but I would really like to Join The Free State Project.

Welcome to the FSP Forum! No need to wait. You can join the FSP right now :) http://freestateproject.org/join

It is great that you realized NY is a horrible place to be for a liberty activist. Well, I really enjoy visiting NYC but it seems every time I go, I noticed another liberty or freedom taken away. That's pretty bad because it is already the least free place in the US.

It seems some people will give you flak over that. I won't. Many free staters have worked for the government, especially as part of the military. Lots of free staters in NH currently are part of the government (usually on a town committee) or have run for office to become part of the government.

There are lots of forests in NH. NH and ME are the 2 most forested states in the nation. Most of the forests in NH are privately owned. There are state parks and the White Mountains.

Have you been to NH and talked with forest rangers? Mount Monadnock is the most hiked mountain in the Western Hemisphere. It's in southwestern NH and there is a state park around much of it. I recommend hiking it during the season and making small talk with a ranger about how to get a job in the industry.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 08:04:11 pm »

I think there's a libertarian case for a government role in conservation (externalities), though perhaps not through ownership of land. But private conservation is also a big deal in NH. You may want to keep up with some of the nonprofit land trusts here, which are large and well-funded.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

Jerry B

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 12:32:56 pm »

I hate to break it to you, but if you want to protect the forests you probably don't want to work for the government. Most of the big forest fires, at least in California, are started by government employees. Furthermore, government shouldn't even own forests, or any thing for that matter.

The forests are being ruined by the irrational policies of the environmentalist wackos. http://www.thenewamerican.com/tech/environment/item/16396-burning-up-the-west-feds-greens-cause-catastrophic-fires

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 12:42:27 pm »

Suppressing fire is what caused the damaging buildup of fuel in the first place.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

freedomroad

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 02:37:27 pm »

The forests are being ruined by the irrational policies of the environmentalist wackos. http://www.thenewamerican.com/tech/environment/item/16396-burning-up-the-west-feds-greens-cause-catastrophic-fires

That doesn't seem to be much of an issue in the most heavily forested states (NH and ME) :) Of course, almost all of the forest is privately owned and we get plenty of rain in NH.

Birdman

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 11:15:02 pm »

Forest fires are not really a thing in New Hampshire. Most of my job as a forest ranger would involve checking trail signs, giving friendly advice to tourists and bird watchers, teaching Boy Scouts and schoolchildren about wilderness safety, acting as a hunting guide, and rescuing lost hikers and hunters, and avalanche victims. None of that seems to conflict with Libertarianism, so being a forest ranger seems okay to me.

elkingrey

• Daily Anarchist
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 05:05:05 am »

While none of the activities you mention violate the non-aggression principle, I assure you that there are duties you'd be required to do that would. Furthermore, you'd be collecting a paycheck from the government, which of course is funded through theft.

elkingrey

• Daily Anarchist
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 05:18:35 am »

Just came across this on reddit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVqSqN7dgDU

and this:

http://www.reddit.com/r/newhampshire/comments/2tzrbk/nh_wood_nh_good/co42cdk

That two year school seems right up your alley. Why wait 4 years to move when you can get your foot in the door in the industry right now and be in New Hampshire all in one?

Auspicious Aspect

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2015, 06:55:01 am »

The State of NH has a small unit of forest rangers, about a dozen.

There are also some private rangers employed by lumber companies, although there is a lot more of that sort of work in Maine.

freedomroad

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2015, 09:04:25 pm »

Furthermore, you'd be collecting a paycheck from the government, which of course is funded through theft.

It depends. According to NH law, the state parks system is supposed to fund itself. NH is the only state like that. Does it actually fund itself? That's debatable by most likely no, especially if you consider the Cannon ski area a state park. I don't know, outside of the money pit, maybe it is self funding?

Birdman

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2015, 03:16:28 am »

Just came across this on reddit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVqSqN7dgDU

and this:

http://www.reddit.com/r/newhampshire/comments/2tzrbk/nh_wood_nh_good/co42cdk

That two year school seems right up your alley. Why wait 4 years to move when you can get your foot in the door in the industry right now and be in New Hampshire all in one.

Thanks Elkingrey, I will definitely look into this, I am also exploring other options besides being a forest ranger because the ranger service is not hiring, and does not look like it will anytime soon. As long as the job pays well and doesn't require me to violate the Nonagression Principle, I am happy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything