Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Finally making the move after 10 years of trying!  (Read 9760 times)

DrLupo

Re: Finally making the move after 10 years of trying!
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2015, 09:57:58 am »

I am seeing some places in the north that say zero.  Are there areas with no tax up there?

LakesRegion

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2015, 11:58:44 pm »

Oops...I linked to an outdated version. Sorry about that.

Here is a more current version:

http://www.joeshimkus.com/NH-Tax-Rates-2014.aspx

Kilkenny has a tax rate of zero, but nobody lives there. It's a mountain range...within the White Mountain National Forest....

I'm not sure why the others are listed as zero, but they do have taxes.

Success, Odell and Millsfield are townships. That means that they are unincorporated.

Success has a tax rate of 5.29, but nobody lives there year round. Some people have cabins on Success pond. It borders Berlin, which is the most northern city in NH, so that's interesting.

Odell has a tax rate of 8.27, and according to the US Census Bureau there is a population of 4.

Millsfield has a tax rate of 16.15, and according to the US Census Bureau there is a population of 23.

It sounds to me like you are especially interested in low property tax and living “up north”. At the same time though you don't want to live near a major town, but want to be near older folks who have chronic conditions and money.

Well, I know it's not “up north” but the Lakes Region has many older folks with money. My opinion might be a little biased since I grew up around here, but I think the Lakes Region is one of the nicest areas. Property taxes are lower compared to other parts of the state. Meredith, Center Harbor, Moultonborough, Tuftonboro, Wolfeboro, and Alton are all really nice places to live.

If you have your heart set on being “up north”,  then I would suggest the Conway area or Lincoln.

Lincoln is a really cool town. I've gone up there many times over the years, it's definitely touristy though. Great views for sure and it's right on 93. Manchester would only be about an hour and a half away.

The Conway area is probably nicer than Lincoln in that it has more stuff to do. Also very touristy. The view is probably about the same as in Lincoln....breathtaking. The drawback to Conway though is that you'd have to drive a bit longer. Manchester is probably about a two hour drive, but on the other hand it's closer to the Seacoast than Lincoln. Kind of all relative.

If you visit NH you should definitely try to hit the Lakes Region, Conway area, and Lincoln.

DrLupo

« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2015, 11:37:43 am »

Well Conway and Lincoln were my favoriates but I am open to anywhere around there.   I will say this the Lake region is tempting just because they have Funspot!  I know I will be going there probably once a month and blowing all my laundry money.  I can't wait to finally see it.

Yes, I like everywhere you suggested on paper. I am hoping to come drive and see all this soon, how bad are the roads right now to these small towns? I need to make a loop and see all this but I need to also find some cheap hotels, I am doing this run with very little money.  Any ideas where I can find cheap places to crash that week?

LakesRegion

« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2015, 03:26:50 pm »

Yes, Funspot is awesome! Definitely my favorite place to go in all of NH. You have to check it out when you come for a visit. Plus it get's bigger and better every year. I'm more into the classic video games, but I was so excited when they got the Hercules pinball machine. It's so much fun to play, even though I still suck at it. Ten-pin and Candlepin bowling, bingo, and indoor mini-golf. What more could you ask for? Bob Lawton is the man. On most days I go he still hangs around watching people play games. The City of Laconia kept trying to stop him from building Funspot and he just kept fighting them. Gotta love that guy even though he supports Romney. Maybe he's just confused in his old age. Anyways, Funspot has an interesting history. When you go make sure to get a coupon from a store around here or print one off the website to get some free tokens.

Another reason you might consider the Lakes Region is that there is a meetup of local FSP participants. I'm not sure if you've heard of them or not, but here is a link:

https://www.facebook.com/LRPorcupinesNH

Gilford, Meredith, and Belmont have a FSP representative. So that's kind of cool if you are interested in working within the system aspect of it. I can't speak for the whole region, but from personal experience most people in the area seem friendly towards the FSP whether they know it or not. I'm not saying you should come out and say, “My name is DrLupo, and I'm a Free Stater.” That would be kind of odd. There are a ton of people that have moved from other states to NH, so it's not like it would be unusual for you to move to the area. You probably will get the question, “Why did you move to NH?”. I'd suggest saying something along the lines of, “I love the idea of liberty and freedom. I like the fact that there is no income or sales tax. It's great that the government has personal responsibility when it comes to car insurance, and wearing seat belts etc.” and maybe slip in a Live Free or Die in there for good measure. NH is not a libertarian paradise. Not everyone you meet here is going to be liberty minded; however, there are definitely more liberty minded people here than anywhere else in the world.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by “how bad are the roads right now to these small towns?”. Do you mean like “winter driving” or in disrepair? I'm assuming you are asking about driving in the winter. You really shouldn't have an issue if you pay attention to the weather. Don't drive during a snow storm or when it's icy out. We've hardly gotten much snow at all this year, which is very unusual. It's been a long time since we've had such a green Christmas, that I can remember anyways. Very cold and yet it got warmer yesterday which made it very icy out. You have to watch out for that black ice. Four wheel drive is useless on ice. The only things it's really good for is accelerating, it's nice to have but it isn't a necessity. Definitely should have snow tires though, that's kind of a must unless you have really, really, good all seasons. Personally, I'd still go with winter ones though. As for a visit, I'd think you'd be fine as long as you pay extra close attention to weather conditions. I mean it's not like people don't drive up here because of snow. This is NH and it snows here...Just don't drive like a maniac and watch out for the other guy. Conditions can change fast. The drive to Lincoln and the Lakes Region should be easy. The Conway area might be a bit more tricky, but I've certainly done it in the winter before many times.

Well I know the cheapest place to stay in my area is the Landmark Inn in Laconia. I thinks it's only like $60 dollars a night. I've heard good things from some people and some not so good things from other people. I might want to look into airbnb.com if I were you.

DrLupo

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2015, 11:34:25 am »

Wow thanks for all the advice, this helps a great deal.  I just have zero idea what to expect moving there. I super excited to be near Funspot though. I am bouncing back and forth between a few cites up north.  I just have to make a trip up at this point. I was hoping there was a liberty flop house around, kind of like Keene has. I got to do this on a very tight budget.

LakesRegion

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2015, 11:45:43 pm »

Yeah, no problem. I wish I could be of more help, but as far as I'm aware nothing like that exists up this way yet. That would be cool though. Well, let me know if you have any questions about the area, and I'll do my best to answer them.

DrLupo

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2015, 10:36:20 am »

Does anyone know of cheap places to stay up north?  Anyone want to rent me a room or spot to crash in the spring?

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2015, 11:58:41 am »

If you want to go really cheap, check out hostels and cabins! Dartmouth has some cabins that they rent out at $25/person/night. They're in the wilderness and sometimes lack electricity, but...
http://www.hostels.com/new-hampshire-state/usa
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2015, 11:59:49 am »

BTW, I'm happy to let you crash here, but we're as far from Conway and Lincoln as Manchester is.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

DrLupo

« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2015, 02:41:17 pm »

Jason thanks so much for the offer, I will let you know if I come out that way for a night.  Also thanks for the great link.

KBCraig

• FSP Participant
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2015, 02:21:45 pm »

I have to say I am partial to North Country.

Wife and I lived in Franconia for 3 years. Loved it.

You know, I've still never met your wife. If your mom didn't mention her now and then, I'd start to suspect she was fictional.  ;)

elkingrey

• Daily Anarchist
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2015, 06:41:27 pm »

I have to say I am partial to North Country.

Wife and I lived in Franconia for 3 years. Loved it.

You know, I've still never met your wife. If your mom didn't mention her now and then, I'd start to suspect she was fictional.  ;)

That's what everybody says!  :D
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

anything