Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Finally making the move after 10 years of trying!  (Read 10129 times)

ptb

• Voluntarist Freethinker
Re: Finally making the move after 10 years of trying!
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2015, 06:34:26 am »

Tarrin, if you would like to stay a couple days in Grafton while you scout around NH, know that you're more than welcome to our guest bed.

- Peter

DrLupo

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2015, 09:55:13 am »

I would love to check out Grafton too, I have not decided 100% what town to move to yet. I would really appreciate staying a night or two to check it out.

Pat K

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2015, 04:27:56 pm »

:D 8)
"It's not all gonna be candy and blow-jobs"-Dale

Jason Osborne ‎"Fighting for reduction of government" is kind of like smashing your dick in a car door to reduce the pain of smashing your dick in the car door, and then getting pissed at the folks who don't want to smash their dicks in car doors as if it is their fault that your dick hurts.

"I don't recommend looking towards a government building if you don't want to see indecent behavior."  --Russell Kanning

DrLupo

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2015, 11:16:16 pm »

I was looking at pictures of Franconia, it is so pretty.  Tell me more about that and Lisbon?

elkingrey

• Daily Anarchist
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2015, 09:01:26 am »

I was looking at pictures of Franconia, it is so pretty.  Tell me more about that and Lisbon?

Lived in Franconia for 2.5 years. Our house (rented) had an amazing view. I think there are lots of houses in the Franconia area that will get you views of Canon and Lafayette. I will say the one difficult thing about north country is that there aren't many places to rent. But there are tons to buy. I think the reason why this is is because houses are so "cheap" that there's no point in renting for most people.

One thing you'll notice is that many of the small towns in north country have distinctive "flavors" to them, i.e. conservative or liberal. Franconia is a liberal town. I know most libertarians hate liberals with a capital H, but I generally prefer them over conservatives. I know both conservatives and liberals are fucked in the head, but I feel less threatened by liberals. Liberals at least value peace and tolerance, even if they suffer from cognitive dissonance. Conservatives tend to be much more violent, police and military worshiping people, I've found.

Again, let's not forget that we're living in a prison planet, so no matter where you go you're going to be surrounded by authoritarian pieces of shit. That being said, each person often has their preferences about what type of dirtbag they'd rather be around. My preference is liberals. If that's also your preference, Franconia is the place for you. I think Lisbon may have a more conservative lean to it, but I haven't spent a ton of time there. It's also nice, but not as nice as Franconia, in my opinion.

Franconia is clean and wealthy and safe. The police seemed very relaxed. It's an old hippy town, I've been told, and I don't think the people would put up with asshole cops. In fact, 6 years ago there was 1 asshole cop everybody in town hated. Some kid shot and killed the cop, then some armed bystander killed the kid. Everybody in town went to the kid's funeral and nobody went to the cop's funeral. Pretty interesting story in fact. There's actually much more to the story than that, but that's the short version.

We would have stayed in Franconia except for the fact that our landlords moved back from California (liberals who maybe saw it wasn't peaches and cream over there??) and wanted their house back.

Anywho, my vote would be for Franconia or Lincoln. But pretty much anywhere in North Country is a win as far as I'm concerned, except for Berlin. Bleh.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 09:05:51 am by elkingrey »

DrLupo

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2015, 11:28:08 am »

Man thanks so much for the insight.  I really need to check it out.  You are right, finding a rental that is not a high priced vacation rental is a bitch.  I am having a tough time finding anything in that area at all.  I also was checking out south of the mountains.  I saw tamworth and thought I would check on youtube for a town tour. Funny thing is, I found this video for Tamworth.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYpF5lizrrQ   So that place might be tainted a little, lol. 

I think I would be happy anywhere near the mountains with a view but I think I need to be 20-30 mins from a large enough town to get work.  I am tempted to go way up north to Pittsburg and the border, just for the experience, but I don't think anyone lives that far.

Oh BTW, what did you think of Littleton?

elkingrey

• Daily Anarchist
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2015, 12:12:25 pm »

Man thanks so much for the insight.  I really need to check it out.  You are right, finding a rental that is not a high priced vacation rental is a bitch.  I am having a tough time finding anything in that area at all.  I also was checking out south of the mountains.  I saw tamworth and thought I would check on youtube for a town tour. Funny thing is, I found this video for Tamworth.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYpF5lizrrQ   So that place might be tainted a little, lol. 

I think I would be happy anywhere near the mountains with a view but I think I need to be 20-30 mins from a large enough town to get work.  I am tempted to go way up north to Pittsburg and the border, just for the experience, but I don't think anyone lives that far.

Oh BTW, what did you think of Littleton?

I would love to live up in Pittsburg or Colebrook area. Maybe some day I'll be able to make it happen. People do live up there, though.

Littleton is an excellent town. The old main street is thriving all the time, which is a rarity to see these days. Plus, that's where you go to do your shopping anyways. They've got Lowe's, Home Depot, Wal Mart, a really big and nice Food Coop, fast food, restaurants, you name it. They've got it. Lots of places to live around Littleton that are in the forests and are really nice. Littleton is a win, IMO. I would say Littleton is the best "big city" in north country. But again, if you live north of the notch, like say, in Franconia, you're going to be a short commute to Littleton or Lincoln, or wherever. And even if the commute is a little "long" it's still very pleasant! No such thing as traffic up north. And the scenery is amazing. North country really is a great place to live. In all honesty, if you're looking to rent a house, you probably won't get to choose the city you live in. You'll choose the house to live in and the house will choose what city you live in. You'll just commute to wherever you decide to set up shop.

DrLupo

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2015, 07:30:01 pm »

Thanks for all the great advice, I have been searching the Franconia , littleton area and it looks great!  Move back there when I move up , I would like at least one friend to hang out with.

DrLupo

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2015, 06:11:32 am »

Also there was another place I was interested in but I don't know anyone who has lived there.  Can anyone tell me about Conway?

elkingrey

• Daily Anarchist
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2015, 08:38:27 am »

I'm in Whitefield now. It's only 30 min from Franconia and 20 min from Littleton.

Conway.... or is it North Conway?? is really nice. It gets a LOT of tourism. Lincoln also gets lots of tourism, but Conway might get more. I think on any given day there are more tourists in those towns than there are actual residents.

But Conway is really pretty with lots of nice restaurants and entertainment and outdoors stuff to do. It's a place I'd have no problem living in. I remember a couple years ago seeing a youtube vid about a free stater girl who lived in Conway. Don't know who it was or if she's still there.

I'm telling you, there are some absolutely amazing places in New Hampshire that haven't yet even been touched by Free Staters. I mean, I get it. Manchester has the biggest population and therefor the most activists and job opportunities. But damn. It's surprising to me to we haven't yet gotten a foothold on some of these other places. Somebody's going to have to get the ball rolling eventually.

Anywho, Conway is also a win, but you'll definitely be a good distance from any other free staters. At least right now. Like I said before, eventually we'll be everywhere.

Edit: Scratch that. There are a few people in Tamworth, I think, which is near Conway.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 08:44:07 am by elkingrey »

DrLupo

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2015, 09:47:22 pm »

I was looking at Whitefield online, it looks really nice too. Cheap land and houses.

elkingrey

• Daily Anarchist
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2015, 10:39:15 pm »

The downtown part of Whitefield is nothing to write home about. Nothing bad, per se, but nothing really going on there. But the outskirts of Whitefield are very nice. Whitefield is also a win.

LakesRegion

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2015, 11:18:10 pm »

Conway.... or is it North Conway??

North Conway is a village in Conway.

DrLupo

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2015, 09:59:07 pm »

Where is the area with the cheapest property tax?

LakesRegion

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2015, 11:19:31 pm »

I think that kind of depends on where you want to live. In general, lower property taxes are in the north and higher property taxes are in the south...but that's not completely true. Parts of the Lakes Region and Seacoast are low too.

The following website should give you a rough estimate, but it doesn't look quite up to date.
http://www.joeshimkus.com/nh-tax-rates.aspx

Current breakdown:
http://www.revenue.nh.gov/mun-prop/municipal/documents/2014-local.pdf
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

anything