Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just how cold is the winters in NH relative to Austin,TX  (Read 3894 times)

cuddlyaxe

Just how cold is the winters in NH relative to Austin,TX
« on: November 09, 2014, 04:06:35 pm »

Hi, I was born in NH, and am thinking of returning as I've always had a connection and urge to move to my home state (Now I just have a excuse to do so :3)
But after living in Austin for so long, Im more than a bit scared of what will happen to my outdoor time (in the winter I mean)

I personally can take the cold, just not the wind, and I like dressing comfortably year round (Yep, I go everywhere is basketball shorts and a t shirt)

Thanks

Bazil

• not the spice and not the country
Re: Just how cold is the winters in NH relative to Austin,TX
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 08:04:13 pm »

NH isn't windy per-se.  Austin can get cold in the middle of the night.  However NH does stay below freezing from Jan to Mar day and night, but 90% of that time you're inside anyway.  You will need protective clothing during these months.  Probably the best place for you would be the seacoast.
"If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!"- The government | "Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often, and for the same reasons!" -  a friend

freedomroad

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 09:35:39 am »

Hi, I was born in NH, and am thinking of returning as I've always had a connection and urge to move to my home state (Now I just have a excuse to do so :3)
But after living in Austin for so long, Im more than a bit scared of what will happen to my outdoor time (in the winter I mean)

I personally can take the cold, just not the wind, and I like dressing comfortably year round (Yep, I go everywhere is basketball shorts and a t shirt)

Thanks

You can wear clothes that just protect you from the cold. You can wear clothes that just project you from the wind. You can even wear clothes that protect you from both.

As for the difference in weather:
Austin, TX and Salem, NH
Dec. avg. high: A=63, S=40
Jan. avg. high: A=62, S=35
Feb. avg. high: A=65, S=38

Jul. avg. high: A=96, S=83
Aug. avg. high: A=97, S=81

If you are upper middle class or have an online job, you can afford to live in both places. Otherwise, it will take some getting used to living in NH. One thing you don't have to worry about is while NH doesn't have a general sales tax, property taxes tend to be about what they are in Austin, or even lower.

Neal Conner

• First 1000
  • FSP Participant
  • Republica Neo Hantoniensis
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 02:40:14 pm »

Hi cuddlyaxe. I moved from Florida as a native to the Sunshine State, and I'm loving it.

Acclimatization. It happens. And I'd rather be free and need to bundle up than wear flip flops in fascism. ;)

Hope to welcome you here to New Hampshire in the near future!
"To get things done, you must love the doing, not the secondary consequences. The work, not the people. Your own action, not any possible object of your charity." – Howard Roark

cuddlyaxe

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 10:34:03 pm »

Yes, but Im outdoorsy

So I cant spend 90% indoors

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 11:50:49 pm »

You have to dress for it. Wool is your friend, and so are good boots. I'm outdoorsy, I grew up in Houston, & I love it here - but then I never liked the climate in Houston.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

Bazil

• not the spice and not the country
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 03:42:27 pm »

I have a saying.  When you're too cold you can always add more layers.  When you're too hot there are only so many you can take off.  NH is one of the better states in New England for outdoor activities.  It's just the activities change depending on the time of year. Or the number of layers change while you engage in those activities.
"If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!"- The government | "Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often, and for the same reasons!" -  a friend

KBCraig

• FSP Participant
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2015, 09:54:40 pm »

I grew up in Arkansas, then lived in Texas for 24 years before moving to NH.

Give me -21F (like we had Wednesday morning) over 35 and freezing rain (like happens all the time in Texas from November through February), any time!

If being able to walk outside in shorts and a t-shirt any time of the year is your main priority, then NH is not for you.

A healthy lifestyle and intentional living are key to surviving up here, especially north of the notches.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything