Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Coming to visit New Hampshire, considering moving  (Read 1437 times)

MuhRoads

Coming to visit New Hampshire, considering moving
« on: January 20, 2018, 01:58:44 pm »

Hi everyone,

My girlfriend and I are IT Professionals currently living in the Raleigh area. We have an adorable dog named Zoey, but neither of us have any real connection that requires us to stay in this area, and we've been eyeballing New Hampshire. Not only does it look gorgeous, but the Free State Project and the politics of the state are a huge plus to us (we're both extremely Liberty-minded individuals).

Specifically, we're considering the Manchester, NH area because of the availability of tech work. Both of grew up in smaller towns, so we're fine with the small town feel, but you have to go where the work is!

Before taking the plunge or making the FSP pledge, we plan to come visit this year to see if New Hampshire is the place for us! We've got availability to do between March - June.

What is the best time to come and visit?
Should we try to time our visit with PorcFest or another liberty-focused event?
We're both foodies, so we have to ask what the "must try" restaurants are in Manchester too!

Thanks everybody. The FSP seems fantastic and this forum seems like a great place. Glad to be here.

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
Re: Coming to visit New Hampshire, considering moving
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 03:55:48 pm »

I would definitely recommend timing your visit with PorcFest. You could do the social thing at PF and your own exploring either before or after the event. There are also regional meetups around the state, which you can see on the NH Liberty Calendar, www.nhcalendar.org.

I live in the Upper Valley and don't know Manchester as well, but you might want to stop by one of the Murphy's restaurants, which are owned by a Free Stater. Nothing super unusual, but solid food & reasonable prices. I think Murphy's Diner has better food than the Taproom next door. I'm a pescatarian, and there's not much for me to eat at the Taproom.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
    • We must be the change we wish to see in the world.
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 02:33:16 pm »

I would agree.
You can also check liberty calendars if you are coming before and after. There seems to be more than one thing happening each day.
I think a place like Manch might be about the same size as Raleigh or a little smaller.
The hills are a bit bigger and a little better looking. Not so hot, but colder. You will find lots of people to get along with.
I think some dog lovers go on hikes together in the hills to the west and north
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi
New Hampshire Free Press - The Nonviolent Revolution Starts Here

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

MuhRoads

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 06:12:28 pm »

I would definitely recommend timing your visit with PorcFest. You could do the social thing at PF and your own exploring either before or after the event. There are also regional meetups around the state, which you can see on the NH Liberty Calendar, www.nhcalendar.org.

I live in the Upper Valley and don't know Manchester as well, but you might want to stop by one of the Murphy's restaurants, which are owned by a Free Stater. Nothing super unusual, but solid food & reasonable prices. I think Murphy's Diner has better food than the Taproom next door. I'm a pescatarian, and there's not much for me to eat at the Taproom.

Thanks Jason! We might be able to make it to PorcFest, but more than likely we'll be shooting for the March timeframe since we'll already be in New York City in March and it's about halfway to NH already. PorcFest looks like a ton of fun though! I'll definitely add Murphy's to the list.

I would agree.
You can also check liberty calendars if you are coming before and after. There seems to be more than one thing happening each day.
I think a place like Manch might be about the same size as Raleigh or a little smaller.
The hills are a bit bigger and a little better looking. Not so hot, but colder. You will find lots of people to get along with.
I think some dog lovers go on hikes together in the hills to the west and north

Thanks Russell. That calendar has a ton of stuff on it, which is seriously exciting if we take the plunge, knowing we'll be in good company. Raleigh has about 480k people to Manchester's 110k and Raleigh is 144 sq miles to Manchester's 35 sq miles, but that's alright. We both grew up in small towns so it doesn't bother us. I am a mountain and hill lover, so that part sounds great. Zoey would definitely love the extra walks too.

I appreciate all the advice here guys!

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 08:20:12 pm »

March is around the start of "mud season" in NH and probably the least appealing time of year to visit, but you have to work with what you're given! It's definitely still winter weather in the early part of the month and there could be snow at any time in March. The legislature will still be in session and it might be fun to go down to the state house and pop in on some committee hearings. You'll see how open to public input NH's government is.
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

MuhRoads

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 08:37:41 pm »

March is around the start of "mud season" in NH and probably the least appealing time of year to visit, but you have to work with what you're given! It's definitely still winter weather in the early part of the month and there could be snow at any time in March. The legislature will still be in session and it might be fun to go down to the state house and pop in on some committee hearings. You'll see how open to public input NH's government is.

I was reading a bit around mud season, and it does sound a bit awful, but it's typical after a lot of snow. Unfortunately, March is the time when I have the most availability. I don't mind the winter though, and I love snow, so it should be okay. Concord isn't very far from Nashua/Manchester where I'll be visiting, so that sounds like a good idea!

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 02:52:23 pm »

beware on your way up ..... the federal government might have opened up again
they are very dangerous
The NH Underground - "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces." -- Etienne de La Boetie, The Politics of Obedience: The Discourse of Voluntary Servitude

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 02:53:28 pm »

also in the cities you don't notice mud

MuhRoads

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2018, 10:03:42 pm »

beware on your way up ..... the federal government might have opened up again
they are very dangerous

Yeah, unfortunately they're back now!

also in the cities you don't notice mud

Good to know.

Levi

• RealtorĀ®. Photographer.
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2018, 09:22:13 am »

Did you ever make it up last month?  I think the best times to visit are July and August for summer fun, or early October for fall colors.

Russell Kanning

• FSP Participant
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2018, 12:47:59 pm »

and september up north
and into november down south
also winter for cheap rentals

Pages: [1]   Go Up

anything