Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for cabin in the woods  (Read 524 times)

joethoreau

Looking for cabin in the woods
« on: December 20, 2017, 01:51:42 pm »

Hey all,

I'm looking to live a simpler life in a more rural setting. I've always dreamed of having a cabin in the woods, and what better place than the home of the Free State Project? I've been a libertarian for many years, just never did anything to promote it. I would love to become an active member of FSP and move to the Granite State.

So, I'm thinking I would like to live somewhere within driving distance of a town where I could meet other FSP members and maintain a social life and sense of purpose, while living far enough away to have 10+ acres, a cabin, and a place to shoot guns and enjoy the outdoors. I would also probably seek work on a part-time basis, so being close to town would obviously help.

I have only been to NH once, and that was years ago, so I am not familiar at all with the best places to look. It would be great to be somewhat close to a town active in the FSP like Keene or Manchester, but far enough away that I can feel remote. Do any such places exist?

EDIT: I would also like Internet access and electricity, so not completely off grid.

Thanks,
Joe
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 01:56:05 pm by joethoreau »

JasonPSorens

• Administrator
  • Neohantonum liberissimum erit.
    • My Homepage
Re: Looking for cabin in the woods
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 06:12:58 pm »

There are many such places in NH. They're harder to find east of the Merrimack Valley (Concord-Nashua corridor), but you can easily find a place with 10 acres within 30 minutes of Keene, Lebanon, Concord, or even probably Manchester. I recommend contacting Mark Warden (www.porcupinerealestate.com). You might also be interested in my NH towns spreadsheet, which I'll likely be updating soon but is still pretty current: https://www.dropbox.com/s/933sduyc5mljmgt/nhtowns15.xls?dl=0 .
"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism

paperboy

Re: Looking for cabin in the woods
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 02:15:06 pm »

Merry Christmas Joe Thoreau,

You can find a lot of properties like that north of Concord.

I happen to be a big fan of Carroll County, but Belknap, Grafton and Coos are pretty nice.

Send me a private message if you want to know more. I am not a realtor, and am not trying to sell you anything.

Good luck. Come up this summer for a visit. Drive around.

Renting for a year or two is not a bad idea. That way you can get acquainted with lots of communities before investing your hard earned dollars.

Pages: [1]   Go Up