Free State Project Forum
268881 Posts in 21892 Topics by 36087 Members / Latest Member: ttjbbre58
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2014, 04:34:34 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Join the FSP

POSTING GUIDELINES and ADVICE FOR NEW MEMBERS

NOTICE: The forum will be down for maintenance beginning at 7PM (NH time) this evening. It should be up again by 9PM. Please forgive the inconvenience and feel free to e-mail arick@freestateproject.org if you have any questions or support requests.

+  Free State Project Forum
|-+  New Hampshire -- The "Live Free or Die" State
| |-+  NH Publicity
| | |-+  More licensing protest coverage
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3  Go Down Print
Author Topic: More licensing protest coverage  (Read 15956 times)
SteveA
FSP Participant

Freedom - Are you man enough to handle it?

Ignore
More licensing protest coverage
« on: May 10, 2005, 04:13:44 pm »

Man Pleads Guilty To Manicuring Without License
http://www.thewmurchannel.com/news/4472328/detail.html

same article in Vermont:
http://www.thechamplainchannel.com/wnne/4472328/detail.html

Here's a link to a google search for anyone interested in more (including some forums discussing it):
http://www.google.com/search?num=20&hl=en&lr=&as_qdr=m3&q=manicure+license+Hampshire+Fisher&as_qdr=y&btnG=Search
« Last Edit: May 10, 2005, 04:21:04 pm by SteveA » Logged

"Fruitless, born a thousand times, lies barren.  Unguided inspiration, yields random motion, circumscribed in destination, going nowhere.  Guidance uninspired, always true in facing, stands immobile.  But fixed upon that destination firmly and with inspiration lofted; beget your dreams."
SteveA
FSP Participant

Ignore
Re: More licensing protest coverage
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005, 10:05:02 pm »

"Fruitless, born a thousand times, lies barren.  Unguided inspiration, yields random motion, circumscribed in destination, going nowhere.  Guidance uninspired, always true in facing, stands immobile.  But fixed upon that destination firmly and with inspiration lofted; beget your dreams."
Michael Reynolds

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 10:23:42 pm »

Anyone know what the possible penalty for this type of "crime" is? I'd be interested to know if the judge went easy on him realizing that this law is absurd.
Gabo
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005, 10:32:59 pm »

I wish he had tried for the whole jury nullification thing.  I don't see how he would lose, unless the judge does some unfair meddling with the case.

I love my country!

It's my government that sucks...
SteveA
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2005, 10:51:13 pm »

Anyone know what the possible penalty for this type of "crime" is? I'd be interested to know if the judge went easy on him realizing that this law is absurd.

I thought I read that it's a misdemeanor but it's $1,000 fine and he's suppose to be in jail a couple days too.

I wish he had tried for the whole jury nullification thing.  I don't see how he would lose, unless the judge does some unfair meddling with the case.

Yes, quite a few people were hoping he'd take it to a jury.  It seems unlikely he'd get a conviction as it was obviously done in protest to a law and not a real violation that needed to be enforced (unless a zero-tolerace policy was trying to be enforced to make a counterpoint Tongue).

He didn't fight any of it though and actually wanted to do the time/fine to emphasize what the law really says.

I've got to admire him for it.  I keep thinking of it like taking a hit for the team - not FSPers but the future freedom of many people.  It's true that without some people taking stands like this we'd be even worse off than we are.  "Freedom isn't free" as they say.

(Think about how much of a change could happen if even a few thousand people in N.H. really took a firm stance on some unjust practices.  That's what keeps government restricted.  It's not a self-limiting process, it's a system with feedback.  We need more feedback!  Hehe Grin)

Gabo
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2005, 10:54:31 pm »

Maybe next time (if there is one), he will try for jury nullification.  After all, his sentencing will go up for repeated offenses so it would be wise to try nullification sometime.

I love my country!

It's my government that sucks...
5thconcerto
Friend of the FSP

To live free!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2005, 10:59:54 pm »

An up-date on Mike. He was sentenced to 32 days jail time with 30 days suspended subject to one years probation in which he must keep his record TOTALLY clean of all crimes and violations.
JonM
First 1000
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2005, 01:22:57 am »

Union Leader editorial very very pro Mike.

Danger!√ā¬†Unlicensed manicurist on the loose!

And cartoon, I will just provide a link so we don't tax their bandwidth every time this thread is hit.

http://www.theunionleader.com/doclib/cartoons/2005/511cartoon.gif

Mike Fisher rocks.
SteveA
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2005, 01:34:41 am »

Union Leader editorial very very pro Mike.

Danger! Unlicensed manicurist on the loose!

And cartoon, I will just provide a link so we don't tax their bandwidth every time this thread is hit.

http://www.theunionleader.com/doclib/cartoons/2005/511cartoon.gif

Mike Fisher rocks.

OMG, those are awesome!!! Grin  Definitely done by sympathists.  (I think the Union Leader in general has been rather sympathetic to the FSP)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2005, 01:40:57 am by SteveA » Logged

LeRuineur6
FSP Participant

Act decisively. Without reserve!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2005, 07:41:11 am »

This is insane!!!!!!!  Thanks to all who showed up and supported this event!!!  Smiley

The next time I get even so much as a ticket for a broken brakelight, I go to jail for 30 days.  How's that for justice?

At least the COs (corrections officers) let me out one day early out of the two day jail sentence by the court.  I think the staff was sympathetic to the cause.  Grin

Please donate $5 to $10 per month to the Liberty Scholarship Fund!
"Noncooperation is intended to pave the way to real, honorable, and voluntary cooperation based on mutual respect and trust." -Gandhi
LeRuineur6
FSP Participant

Act decisively. Without reserve!

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2005, 07:43:18 am »

They did let me out without a fine though, and even without bail after I refused to pay it.  Starve the beast!!!  I've still got the $1 I made from Kat.  LOL

Please donate $5 to $10 per month to the Liberty Scholarship Fund!
"Noncooperation is intended to pave the way to real, honorable, and voluntary cooperation based on mutual respect and trust." -Gandhi
kater
the greater
FSP Participant

NH Resident

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2005, 08:09:28 am »

Mike, congratulations and thank you.  (Seems odd to say that in response to an arrest, but there it is.)  You've really showed what one determined activist (with assistance, surely--thank you Kat) can do to get an issue before the citizenry, and you've more than proven the value of non-political action.  I hope that those of us with other methods and strategies can find appropriate ways to back you up and pursue this issue on multiple fronts.

It's time for President Paul.
www.ronpaulhq.com
JonM
First 1000
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2005, 08:37:45 am »

Some do not agree with Mike's point of view.

This licensing law is one we can live with
Michael Reynolds

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2005, 09:23:20 am »

Congratulations! I must say, this is the first time I've ever communicated with a hardened criminal, I thought under such circumstances I would be robbed or killed, but for such a dangerous deviant you seem like a pretty normal person.  Smiley
Simon Jester
First 1000
FSP Participant

Peas: Don't hate them because they're round

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2005, 09:26:26 am »

"If the skin of the licensee or client is punctured, the licensee shall immediately put on antiseptic, a sterilized bandage and put on latex gloves," reads one piece of wisdom the state requires manicurists to know.

[sarcasm] Gosh, usually when I see someone puntured, I don't clean the wound or bandage it...I just usually roll on some dung and then let it fester. [/sarcasm]

They're going to have to come up with better reasons than that to defend the licensing laws. Most people are capable of common sense actions, such as washing towels when they're dirty.

If this is the only thing they can say against you, I'd say the protest went well. Good job, Mike! Smiley

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley
Pages: [1] 2 3  Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: