Free State Project Forum
270557 Posts in 22086 Topics by 36319 Members / Latest Member: scrubbinsjs
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 30, 2014, 12:10:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Join the FSP

POSTING GUIDELINES and ADVICE FOR NEW MEMBERS

NOTICE: The forum will be down for maintenance beginning at 7PM (NH time) this evening. It should be up again by 9PM. Please forgive the inconvenience and feel free to e-mail arick@freestateproject.org if you have any questions or support requests.

+  Free State Project Forum
|-+  New Hampshire -- The "Live Free or Die" State
| |-+  NH Information and Discussion
| | |-+  Civil Disobedience Event on 5/9 in Concord
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 9  Go Down Print
Author Topic: Civil Disobedience Event on 5/9 in Concord  (Read 39333 times)
LeRuineur6
FSP Participant

Act decisively. Without reserve!

Ignore
Civil Disobedience Event on 5/9 in Concord
« on: April 28, 2005, 07:03:40 pm »

Activist to Defy State Licensing Laws
[/b][/size]

Concord, NH, April 19, 2005 – On Monday, May 9, at noon, Mike Fisher plans to violate New Hampshire’s licensing laws at the State Board of Barbering, Cosmetology, and Esthetics in Concord. In an act of civil disobedience, he plans to sell manicures for profit without obtaining a license from the State government.

The purpose of this event is “to call attention to the State’s intrusive and unnecessary licensing restrictions on entry-level workers and entrepreneurs in many industries,” according to Fisher, the activist heading up the effort through the NH Underground (NHFree.com). “In a free country, people do not need permission to start a business. We are no longer free to make a living without government approval.”

It is a misdemeanor in New Hampshire to sell services such as manicures, haircuts, or massages without a license. These licensing laws were expanded in January to include all tanning businesses.

“In the famous Dandi March, Gandhi walked to the sea to create salt and was arrested along with 60,000 others for violating British colonial salt licensing laws,” Fisher proclaims. “Gandhi’s example inspires me, and that’s why I’m doing this. This will open a lot of people’s eyes. It’s time to put an end to licensing laws once and for all.”

The general public and supporters are invited to attend this act of civil disobedience. The event will be held on Monday, May 9, at noon, at or near the NH Board of Cosmetology at 2 Industrial Park Drive, Concord, NH 03301. Attendees and customers are asked to bring friends, families, cameras, signs, and positive attitudes.

I would like to let everyone here know about this event.  To learn more about it, please read this page and thread on the NH Underground at NHFree.com:

Activist to Defy State Licensing Laws

Civil Disobedience Thread

Thanks!

Please donate $5 to $10 per month to the Liberty Scholarship Fund!
"Noncooperation is intended to pave the way to real, honorable, and voluntary cooperation based on mutual respect and trust." -Gandhi
maverickthree

Ignore
Re: Civil Disobedience Event on 5/9 in Concord
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2005, 07:12:48 pm »

I believe licensing is a good thing---maybe not in all areas---but certainly in some such as in the
financial sectors---it helps to prevent scamming and rip-off artists. Also, it is good for weeding
out those who are not qualified to practice in their professions for various reasons(I can just
hear the "statist" accusations coming from every which way! . . .) Smiley
« Last Edit: April 28, 2005, 07:14:25 pm by maverickthree » Logged

Evil men rule when good men do nothing.

Those with the best information are most likely to succeed.

Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice. And moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.
          ----Barry Goldwater
"Hagrid"
FSP Participant

We don't need 20K... we just need you to move now.

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2005, 07:41:09 pm »

I believe licensing is a good thing---maybe not in all areas---but certainly in some such as in the
financial sectors---it helps to prevent scamming and rip-off artists. Also, it is good for weeding
out those who are not qualified to practice in their professions for various reasons(I can just

Licensing and Certification are 2 entirely different things.  You are (along with many of us) in favor of Certification... not Licensing.

You can work without a Certificate.  You cannot work without a License.  You could start small or cheap, learn on the job, and get a certificate... It's a piece of paper someone trusted issues to you when you prove you have talent/skills.

Pat K
First 1000
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2005, 07:45:28 pm »

Licensing does nothing but give the state another cut of peoples earnings.

"It's not all gonna be candy and blow-jobs"-Dale

Jason Osborne ‎"Fighting for reduction of government" is kind of like smashing your dick in a car door to reduce the pain of smashing your dick in the car door, and then getting pissed at the folks who don't want to smash their dicks in car doors as if it is their fault that your dick hurts.

"I don't recommend looking towards a government building if you don't want to see indecent behavior."  --Russell Kanning
lloydbob1

Email
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2005, 08:14:36 pm »

Licensing does nothing but give the state another cut of peoples earnings.

And protects the licensed from competition.

Licensing won't sstop the unscrupulous from stealing your money. People who handle other peoples money can be bonded.
Tracy Saboe
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2005, 04:54:39 am »

Licensing and Certification are 2 entirely different things.  You are (along with many of us) in favor of Certification... not Licensing.

You can work without a Certificate.  You cannot work without a License.  You could start small or cheap, learn on the job, and get a certificate... It's a piece of paper someone trusted issues to you when you prove you have talent/skills.
And that someone that trusted you doesn't need to be the government either. With the government completely out of the business, competing certification companys would be the cominent form of self regulation probably.

Tracy

We agree that "Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." --George Washington

Jack Conway

Conway Supports Obamacare
Conway Supports Cap and Trade
Conway Supports Abortion
Conway’s Utilities Rate Hike Scandal
Conway is in Bed with Big Pharma
Conway is Backed by Wall Street Bankers
LeRuineur6
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2005, 02:39:51 pm »

The NH Attorney General called yesterday while my wife and I were browsing at the mall and threatened me with arrest if I perform a manicure without a license.  Here's Dave's follow-up press release about it:

NH AG's office threatens arrest over manicure
[/size][/b]

Concord, NH, April 29, 2005 - Seacoast entrepreneur Mike Fisher doesn't look the part of a manicurist - or an outlaw. But he's about to become both.

Invoking the patron saint of civil disobedience, Fisher plans to violate New Hampshire's cosmetology laws - right in front of the officials who enforce them. And representatives of Attorney General Kelly Ayotte have already threatened him with arrest.

Fisher, 23, of Newmarket, says he is so exasperated with state regulations on small businesses that the time has come to simply flout them.

His plan is to show up in front of the New Hampshire Board of Barbering, Cosmetology and Esthetics, a bureaucracy that regulates nail salons. There, he says, he will administer a manicure - for profit - "regardless of what they threaten me with."

After deciding his course of action, Fisher sent the Board a note informing them he would be showing up at their office to break the law they enforce. That triggered a call from the Attorney General's office; one of their investigators informed Fisher police would be present and he would be arrested immediately if he attempted to perform an unlicensed manicure.

Fisher says he got the idea from watching the movie "Gandhi."

"The British government (In India) had salt licensing laws," he says. "You could not make salt without a license. Now we cannot cut nails without a license, and I really don't see the difference."

A computer repairman, Fisher admits that until April he didn't know the first thing about manicuring but has now learned the basics. He points out that anyone who *does* want to work as a manicurist would not be able to stand up to the Board the way he is doing. "They could lose their ability to get a license." he says.

It's the principle of the thing that bothers Fisher and a desire to see a rollback of state restrictions on most industries. "In a free country," he growls "people do not need permission to start a business."

As in most states, it is a misdemeanor in New Hampshire to administer a manicure without a license. An increasing number of other small business activities also require licenses. Fisher believes these simply provide a barrier to entry for young entrepreneurs like himself without effectively protecting the consumer or the public. "Private institutions and competition are more effective protectors of the customer," he adds, "and these are both weakened when government tries to do the job."

Supporters are invited to attend, join the fun and witness Fisher's act of civil disobedience. But you do not have to disobey the law yourself unless you wish to man the tweezers! The event will be on Monday, May 9, at noon, at or near the NH Board of Cosmetology at 2 Industrial Park Drive, Concord, NH 03301.

Summary:

What: Civil disobedience against "manicure law"
Why: To call attention to state govt. overregulation of small business
How: By delivering a manicure without a license
Where: At or near the enforcing bureacracy: NH Board of Barbering, 2 Industrial Park Drive, Concord, NH 03301
When: Monday, May 9, noon (in the event of extreme weather, call the numbers below for a status report)
Who: Mike Fisher, supporters from NHfree.com, whoever wants to join us. Expected turnout: 10-20
Contact: Mike Fisher, 603-498-7935 Backup: Dave Ridley 603-721-1490
« Last Edit: April 29, 2005, 06:46:09 pm by LeRuineur6 » Logged

"Noncooperation is intended to pave the way to real, honorable, and voluntary cooperation based on mutual respect and trust." -Gandhi
JasonPSorens
Administrator

Neohantonum liberissimum erit.

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2005, 03:00:26 pm »

Things get curiouser and curiouser... I'm really looking forward to this. You should email your press release to the guys and gals at IJ; I'm sure they'd get a kick out of it. (BTW, "Gandhi" is typoed in the message above.) Keep us updated!

"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism
SteveA
FSP Participant

Freedom - Are you man enough to handle it?

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2005, 03:06:47 pm »

OMG, you're beautiful Cheesy  (In that manly slap on the back way of course Wink)

Though not everyone will see it the same way, but that's heroism as much as a guy on the front lines in Iraq, and more noble too.  Man, I wish I was there (it's my own fault I'm not there yet ... Damn, I'm a lazy bastard Sad)

I'd have to admit it's probably best doing it when you don't have a lost of assets at risk though but the truth is that there's a real limit to how many people can be harrassed for bogus laws.  (Yes, quite a few people can be but it's not infinite)

Talk about taking a hit for the team.  It would rock seeing more people there but one person is enough to get the point across.

Something to think about also, nudity, at least in some places isn't even illegal when it's performed as a protest against nudity laws.  People have the right to seek redress of grievances against government and there are acknowledgements of it in laws.  Besides, I can't imagine a jury of people unanimously declaring you guilty of what's obvious a constitutional right to protest such a law.  The mere fact that you receive a few dollars doesn't detract much at all from the much more obvious (especially with forenotice of the event and holding right in front of the Board of Cosmetology!)  People have different heroes, well you've just been added to my very small list of heroes.  I hope it all goes well for you.

"Fruitless, born a thousand times, lies barren.  Unguided inspiration, yields random motion, circumscribed in destination, going nowhere.  Guidance uninspired, always true in facing, stands immobile.  But fixed upon that destination firmly and with inspiration lofted; beget your dreams."
LeRuineur6
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2005, 06:55:43 pm »

Things get curiouser and curiouser... I'm really looking forward to this. You should email your press release to the guys and gals at IJ; I'm sure they'd get a kick out of it. (BTW, "Gandhi" is typoed in the message above.) Keep us updated!

I edited the press release and contacted the Institute for Justice's Vice President and Director of Communications.  Thanks!  Hopefully they'll be interested in it.  I'll call them on Monday so they're aware of the event.

LeRuineur6
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2005, 07:06:49 pm »

Wow, SteveA, I really don't know what to say!  Thank you for the kind words, they are much appreciated!

I probably will not do manicures nude, but that would be an idea for a good and LOUD civil disobedience in the future that you could organize!   lol Grin

Besides, I can't imagine a jury of people unanimously declaring you guilty of what's obvious a constitutional right to protest such a law.

I will plead guilty.  Honesty has become one of my central principles.  I'll refuse to compromise so I will plead guilty to breaking the law because the law is WRONG!

This will send a clear message to the people that I'm NOT trying to further my own objectives at the expense of a few bureaucrats and police officers, then trying to avoid punishment.  In fact, I'm willing to suffer in order to show the utter brutality of the law.  I only hope that people will feel enough sympathy for this punishment to demand immediate change.

FTL_Ian
FSP Participant/First 1000
Golden Porcupine

Peaceful Evolution

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2005, 11:34:43 pm »

You're clearly willing to suffer, and that's quite courageous.  I say take it all the way.  Plead not guilty, get a jury trial, and then have the NH Underground start in with a FIJA campaign outside the courthouse and in the media.

Challenge the law itself in court.  Alert the Jury to Jury Nullification IN the courtroom, personally. ( You may have a contempt charge thrown at you and a mistrial, but it could result in more coverage.)

I think this could result in some awesome nationwide press coverage, with a little luck.  Just be sure to mention the FSP to any media.

150+ Reasons to Move to Keene : http://move.FreeKeene.com

Join the *other* liberty activism forum in NH: http://forum.shiresociety.com
KBCraig
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2005, 11:39:57 pm »

Mike, I realize that you've asked that no one else get arrested over this. And for Phase I, that might be the best course getting into the news and raising awareness.

But for Phase II, a repeat offense, I suggest that as Violator #1 is being cuffed, Violator #2 plop into the chair and loudly offer a manicure (or haircut) for money. If that doesn't sufficiently confuse the PTB, several more bystanders should be waiting to do the same thing. They'll run out of cops and cuffs really quickly; can you imagine the "officer needs assistance" call for more cars because there's a riot of unlicensed cosmetology?

Kevin
1DayAtATime
First 1000
Global Moderator

Live Free or Die!

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2005, 11:50:55 pm »

I will plead guilty.  Honesty has become one of my central principles.  I'll refuse to compromise so I will plead guilty to breaking the law because the law is WRONG!

If you think the law is unconstitutional, then it is not really a law and you could plead not guilty.

Please do not take anything I say as 100% accurate or as an official opinion of the FSP.

Haven't joined the Free State Project yet? Join now! http://freestateproject.org/fsn10
Looking for resources on where to live and how to find a job in NH? http://freestateproject.org/resources
LeRuineur6
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2005, 09:48:28 am »

If you think the law is unconstitutional, then it is not really a law and you could plead not guilty.

I hope this does not offend anyone, but I believe the constitution either authorized such a government as we have or has been powerless to prevent it and is thus not fit to exist, as Lysander Spooner once said.

I will be guilty of breaking an unjust law, so I will plead guilty.  Anything else would be dishonest of me.

Mike, I realize that you've asked that no one else get arrested over this.

It's really up to each individual person whether or not they're willing to suffer the punishment to show that the law is wrong.  In fact, it would be more effective if more people were involved, and I would welcome it.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 9  Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: