Free State Project Forum
270830 Posts in 22134 Topics by 36396 Members / Latest Member: R38E
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 31, 2014, 03:31:16 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Join the FSP

POSTING GUIDELINES and ADVICE FOR NEW MEMBERS

NOTICE: The forum will be down for maintenance beginning at 7PM (NH time) this evening. It should be up again by 9PM. Please forgive the inconvenience and feel free to e-mail arick@freestateproject.org if you have any questions or support requests.

+  Free State Project Forum
|-+  FSP -- Recruiting and Publicity
| |-+  Group Outreach (Moderator: Chris Harrison)
| | |-+  College Liaison Topics
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2  Go Down Print
Author Topic: College Liaison Topics  (Read 10163 times)
mrdthree

No hay me llama!

Ignore
College Liaison Topics
« on: October 16, 2004, 04:33:26 pm »

Hi

Wanted to start a discussion thread where people can offer questions or suggestions about college campus recruiting, libertarian ideas on campus, or for anyone who wants a place to field questions, comments or wants to discuss topics relating to the FSP and colleges or universities.

-Mark Dranias
kater
the greater
FSP Participant

NH Resident

Ignore
Re:College Liaison Topics
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2004, 10:38:50 am »

This is great.  Colleges are one of the areas we really haven't pushed yet, and I think we could do a lot of good work there.  As a local group leader, I'm interested in pursuing college opportunities in the Mid-Atlantic area, but I'd love to find one person here who can head it up as a project.  What kind of outreach have we had across the board?  Has HQ gotten in touch with campus libertarian groups?  (Just asking to make sure we don't duplicate efforts.)  Is there an overall strategy that local groups can fit into to help?  Or is the strategy up to us and individuals with HQ and the liaison as resources?

Thanks.

It's time for President Paul.
www.ronpaulhq.com
mrdthree

No hay me llama!

Ignore
Re:College Liaison Topics
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2004, 07:26:14 pm »

Hi kater,

cpmarch and I have been engaged in a 50 day plan to contact the first 500 people on a list  of over 1000 potential college students.
For details, check my posting on the FSP Publicity and Recruiting: Results
forum http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?board=25;action=display;threadid=8444
(this project started in the FSP Publicity and Recruiting: Ideas and Opportunities thread)

The major contact sources I am using are:
http://chelm.freeyellow.com/collegelibsusa.html .
http://www.fed-soc.org/studentdivision.htm
http://www.lp.org/organization/campus.html

I am using MS Access as a database to contact folks. If you want to help email me and I'll fill you in on the details (I am only through Texas on one list so there is much left to do)!

later,
Mark Dranias
College Liaison

This is great.  Colleges are one of the areas we really haven't pushed yet, and I think we could do a lot of good work there.  As a local group leader, I'm interested in pursuing college opportunities in the Mid-Atlantic area, but I'd love to find one person here who can head it up as a project.  What kind of outreach have we had across the board?  Has HQ gotten in touch with campus libertarian groups?  (Just asking to make sure we don't duplicate efforts.)  Is there an overall strategy that local groups can fit into to help?  Or is the strategy up to us and individuals with HQ and the liaison as resources?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2004, 07:36:39 pm by mrdthree » Logged
Steve
FSP Board Member
Administrator

La Vero vin liberigos

Students for Academic Freedom
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2005, 05:36:40 am »

Any chances to work with these people?
http://www.studentsforacademicfreedom.org

Maybe a bit too conservative, but we could advertise on FrontPage.com:
http://frontpagemag.com/Articles/ReadArticle.asp?ID=16550
http://www.frontpagemagazine.com/contact/advertise.asp
rdeacon
FSP Participant

Six Years Into a Ten Year Sojourn

Ignore
Re: College Liaison Topics
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2005, 11:14:09 pm »

The best issue to bring up to college students is the drinking age, hands down.

This issue effects the lives of 90% of college students age 18-21, support for reform crosses party lines, and it's a logical slam dunk considering the vast ethical disparity of having a conscription age of 18.
lloydbob1

Email
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2005, 09:29:15 am »

In the '70's when they were, actually,  drafting people, the discrepancy between Draft and Drinking age,  and, the complaints about it brought the drinking age down to 18, where it had already been in some states.
I'm not sure why it was changed to 21, or, if it is Federal law.  It is probably one of those deals where the Feds won't return some of our tax money for a program if our state doesn't comply with their arbitrary law.
BlueLu

MMMMMMM! Monadnock

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2005, 12:56:11 pm »

I'm not sure why it was changed to 21, or, if it is Federal law.  It is probably one of those deals where the Feds won't return some of our tax money for a program if our state doesn't comply with their arbitrary law.

This is exactly the way I remember it coming down from FedGov in the 1980s.  I think Montana was the last state to hold out with an 18 year-old drinking age.  Where I lived, they stair-stepped the drinking age up every year, and I was caught in the process, so that one year I was old enough to buy alcohol, then I was not.  The next year I was old enough for a while, then I was not.....
BlueLu

MMMMMMM! Monadnock

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2005, 01:01:44 pm »

One of my favorite tactics from college political club days is to photocopy good articles and get to a big lecture hall very early or during the lunch break, and just put a copy in front of every seat.  This is good when you have identified halls where a political science and economics class will take place.  Lower division classes or classes for non-economics majors and non-polysci majors are most effective, IMO.  There have been several Mises Daily Articles that have made me wish I was back at the Uni doing this.
rdeacon
FSP Participant

Six Years Into a Ten Year Sojourn

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2005, 01:04:55 pm »

In the '70's when they were, actually,  drafting people, the discrepancy between Draft and Drinking age,  and, the complaints about it brought the drinking age down to 18, where it had already been in some states.
I think this is the case, and I think the funds in question are federal highway dollars. 
mrdthree

No hay me llama!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2005, 08:32:44 pm »

..., if it is Federal law.  It is probably one of those deals where the Feds won't return some of our tax money for a program if our state doesn't comply with their arbitrary law.
I think this is the case, and I think the funds in question are federal highway dollars. 

Im not sure if it is federal law. I am from Illinois originally and when I was in grade school (in the 80's) Wisconsin had a 18 year old drinking law while  Illinois had a 21 year old law. That changed sometime around then too.
-Mark
kater
the greater
FSP Participant

NH Resident

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2005, 09:45:49 am »

Mark,

How's your outreach project going?  I spoke (to a tiny group, admittedly) at a local college a month or two ago and had some success.  Would love to help.

Kate

www.ronpaulhq.com
1DayAtATime
First 1000
Global Moderator

Live Free or Die!

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2005, 01:09:58 am »

One of my favorite tactics from college political club days is to photocopy good articles and get to a big lecture hall very early or during the lunch break, and just put a copy in front of every seat.  This is good when you have identified halls where a political science and economics class will take place.  Lower division classes or classes for non-economics majors and non-polysci majors are most effective, IMO.  There have been several Mises Daily Articles that have made me wish I was back at the Uni doing this.

This is a really good idea for people to do at the colleges in NH.  That way, the college kids of Nh might become slightly more libertarian on the issues mentioned in the articles.  But, how do you use this in colleges in other parts of the country.  I want to know how to recruit FSP members with this method.  Thanks.

Please do not take anything I say as 100% accurate or as an official opinion of the FSP.

Haven't joined the Free State Project yet? Join now! http://freestateproject.org/fsn10
Looking for resources on where to live and how to find a job in NH? http://freestateproject.org/resources
kater
the greater
FSP Participant

NH Resident

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2005, 01:57:42 pm »

Not to be annoying, but I've asked a few times (on the forum and by email) and haven't heard anything about the college outreach project.  Can we get a status report and, most importantly, a wish list for help? 

www.ronpaulhq.com
kater
the greater
FSP Participant

NH Resident

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2005, 11:17:36 am »

Hello?

www.ronpaulhq.com
kater
the greater
FSP Participant

NH Resident

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2005, 04:35:08 pm »

Have we had any contact with the Boston University Libertarian Society?  I just saw that Prof. Randy Barnett will be speaking to them in April, and I wonder if we've made any overtures.

www.ronpaulhq.com
Pages: [1] 2  Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: