Free State Project Forum
270458 Posts in 22072 Topics by 36305 Members / Latest Member: WilliamTow
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 23, 2014, 06:37:18 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Join the FSP

POSTING GUIDELINES and ADVICE FOR NEW MEMBERS

NOTICE: The forum will be down for maintenance beginning at 7PM (NH time) this evening. It should be up again by 9PM. Please forgive the inconvenience and feel free to e-mail arick@freestateproject.org if you have any questions or support requests.

+  Free State Project Forum
|-+  New Hampshire -- The "Live Free or Die" State
| |-+  Moving & Housing
| | |-+  Coos County
« previous next »
Pages: [1]  Go Down Print
Author Topic: Coos County  (Read 6440 times)
eximius

Ignore
Coos County
« on: August 02, 2004, 08:01:22 pm »

Hi I'm new to the movement. I am definitely a supporter of this movement and am very excited about participating in it. I am closer to an leftist anarchist than a rightist libertarian, but still I do not disagree with anything you guys are trying to achieve.

So, currently I live near Montreal, Quebec. I want to live as close to Canada as possible because I will obviously still have family and business ties up here. I am a US Citizen so there are no legal issues for me to move down there.

I am looking into Pittsburg, NH as a possible destination because of it's proximity to Canada and it's relatively low property tax rates compared to other cities I have seen on the property tax chart. All this being said, is there an informed person out there who can tell me if this town wouldbe a good place to settle in, work in, buy a house in...

I'm an anarchist, libertarians are my more realistic friends and I want to support the movement.
SteveA
FSP Participant

Freedom - Are you man enough to handle it?

Ignore
Re:Coos County
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2004, 10:11:00 pm »

Welcome, eximius

Great to see you found us.  I took a trip to Canada about 15 years ago, and they were likely the nicest people I'd ever met.

I'm not in N.H. yet, so can't give you much info about Coos but in general I think it has a low population density and few zoning restrictions.

I followed the community info link on www.lfod.org and found some information here:

http://www.nhes.state.nh.us/elmi/htmlprofiles/pittsburg.html

"Fruitless, born a thousand times, lies barren.  Unguided inspiration, yields random motion, circumscribed in destination, going nowhere.  Guidance uninspired, always true in facing, stands immobile.  But fixed upon that destination firmly and with inspiration lofted; beget your dreams."
5thconcerto
Friend of the FSP

To live free!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2004, 10:19:06 pm »

Welcome eximius,
 Glad to have you aboard. I personnaly know little about the Pittsburg area, but I know a couple of people who have camps in, or next to Pittsburg, so I'll ask them what they think about the area.
 Alan
eximius

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2004, 11:16:39 pm »

I appreciate both your replies. I did some more research and will go for a retreat there in August. This will be just to relax and also at the same time to become familiar with the place.

I would also like to make contacts in Pittsburg and from other nearby towns, so if you are around there I would be pleased to make your acquaintance (and not sleep on your couch, I promise).

Other strong points about this area according to the data is a much lower average house value compared to the rest of the state, $70,500 compared to $133,300. This difference alone can save half in property taxes.  

On the topic of property taxes, I saw that Success, NH was ranked #1 in 2002 with a Full Value Tax Rate of $3.57

Are there towns or places in northern NH that have similar or lower rates?

And finally I noticed that there is a lower median salary in COOS than the rest of the State, what are the prospect for work in this area?

Any and all replies are welcome, appreciated, and helpful.

Regards,
Eximius
« Last Edit: August 02, 2004, 11:17:47 pm by eximius » Logged

I'm an anarchist, libertarians are my more realistic friends and I want to support the movement.
JasonPSorens
Administrator

Neohantonum liberissimum erit.

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2004, 08:42:44 am »

I've driven through Pittsburg.  It's beautiful up there; Pittsburg is the largest town in NH in land area.  There are huge tracts of wilderness up by the Canadian border where there are no paved roads.  It seems as if work is limited to typical small-town service activities, and the little lumbering that's still going on.

"Educate your children, educate yourselves, in the love for the freedom of others, for only in this way will your own freedom not be a gratuitous gift from fate. You will be aware of its worth and will have the courage to defend it." --Joaquim Nabuco (1883), Abolitionism
BlueLu

MMMMMMM! Monadnock

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2004, 10:08:41 am »

There is a community, that is clearly closely tied to Canada that spans Stewartstown, NH, north through Beecher Falls, VT, and north again into Pittsburg, NH, following Hall(s) Stream Rd.

Link to map

Hall Stream Rd., and several others following the Canadian border several miles north, are close enough to one another to make me think that the parcels of land are pretty small.  I have not been there, so I cannot attest to whether it is like a neighborhood, but proximity of the streets to one another make me think it is a real village.  You might want to check it out, if you are ever crossing the border at Canadian Hwy 253/US Hwy 3.  

Click on the North and Northeast arrows 10 or 15 clicks following Halls Stream Rd., until you get to Hilltop Rd., Meadow View Rd., Border View Rd., Lawrence Way, etc.

-----
Mod note: edited url to prevent horizontal scrolling.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2004, 08:14:39 pm by thewaka » Logged
Russell Kanning
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2004, 11:28:16 am »

I am seriously looking "North of the Notches". I look at lower real estate prices before specific property tax comparison. Maybe we could get rid of most of the property taxes later anyway. Smiley
     If you want more info about the area ask a guy like Ed Sanders (White Mountain Welcome Wagon and Unimoog fame). Smiley
http://www.freestateproject.org/community/welcomewagon
I have also talked with a few other people from places like Littleton/Berlin/etc. and they just love it up there. I just can't post their email addresses but you can find them on this board and in the local group.
     I hope to see you there soon. Smiley

Mike Lorrey
FSP Participant

Live Free and Never Die

Ignore
Re: Coos County
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2005, 11:06:35 pm »

The Republic has always been an interest of mine. I recommend Daniel Doan's history of the nation "Indian Stream Republic" which you should be able to get on Amazon.com....

The International Libertarian: The Journal of Liberty For Everyone, Everywhere, All The Time
bookish_lass

Email
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2005, 01:39:33 pm »

Sounds great!  Are you moving up there to begin the reinforcemnts?   Smiley
Russell Kanning
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2005, 09:05:23 am »

I thought you were going to move out West with the Free West Alliance?
Even if you want to move to one town with a lot of other porcs....it will be a gradual migration.....but it will happen Smiley

"Hagrid"
FSP Participant

We don't need 20K... we just need you to move now.

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2005, 07:23:51 am »

For years with the FSP I also posted how 20,000 were far too few for the population of any of the candidate states. I refuted the arguments that purportedly showed that one in sixty were enough. My experience tells me that not even ten times that many or one in six would be enough.

And I'll refute that, by pointing out that _activists_ in general are rare, and with under 100 real activists now, we're already having an impact here.  NH is unique in it's political setup and openness, and I'm convinced far less than 20K _activists_ (not voters, not movers, but _activists_) can have a profound effect here.  The more, the better and easier, but even 500 'early' movers would be a huge step forward.

Upon the serious, reliable commitment of 600 "libertarian activists" to move to the town of Pittsburg, New Hampshire within a five year period and stay for at least five years, I will move there too.

Good luck.  I can't see you getting 600 FSP people to agree to do that.  Heck, I can't see getting 600 FSPers to agree on much of anything (grin).
« Last Edit: April 11, 2005, 09:49:49 am by SethCohn » Logged

Russell Kanning
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2005, 08:10:27 am »

Can you imagine 600 porcs all moving to Pittsburg.....you wouldn't even have to vote yourselves into office....they would just hand it all over when you move in Smiley

Mike Lorrey
FSP Participant

Live Free and Never Die

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2005, 12:04:19 pm »

I think it is clear from the FTP experience that any porcupine moving to NH needs to move into their community looking to help out, not to take over, as I have advised on many an occasion. You show locals how much you want to help them, they will bend over backwards in helping you. Come into town telling people how its gonna be, preaching the good libertarian gospel, you will at best be dismissed as a nut, at worst you will instigate active opposition to form and organize. NH natives are a flinty bunch. They see city slickers and flatlanders come and go.

You move north of the notches, be prepared to do a lot of listening and empathizing with northern irritation with Concord. Support their gripes, assist them in issues important to them, you will earn their respect and open ears to issues they would dismiss if they didn't know you.

The International Libertarian: The Journal of Liberty For Everyone, Everywhere, All The Time
Pages: [1]  Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: