Free State Project Forum
269109 Posts in 21914 Topics by 36099 Members / Latest Member: rentacar92
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2014, 09:42:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Join the FSP

POSTING GUIDELINES and ADVICE FOR NEW MEMBERS

NOTICE: The forum will be down for maintenance beginning at 7PM (NH time) this evening. It should be up again by 9PM. Please forgive the inconvenience and feel free to e-mail arick@freestateproject.org if you have any questions or support requests.

+  Free State Project Forum
|-+  FSP Community
| |-+  Local Groups (Moderator: Power Penguin)
| | |-+  Pacific Northwest -- OR, WA
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pacific Northwest -- OR, WA  (Read 51778 times)
Rearden
FSP Participant

We're supposed to be activists, remember?

Ignore
Pacific Northwest -- OR, WA
« on: March 14, 2004, 12:22:39 am »

Group Leader: Daniel Mcguire

Email: spike (at) alum.mit (dot) edu

Email List
« Last Edit: March 17, 2005, 08:41:36 am by bookish_lass » Logged

Government can do only one thing: It can break your legs, hand you a crutch, and say, "See?  If not for the government you couldn't walk."
Rearden
FSP Participant

We're supposed to be activists, remember?

Ignore
Re:Pacific Northwest -- OR, WA
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2004, 03:09:46 am »

The location of the talk about the FSP has been settled.  It is 7pm on Thursday April 8th at

Willamette University College of Law
John C. Paulus Great Hall, room 201
245 Winter St SE,
Salem, Oregon 97301

The room seats 150, so all of your friends, friends-of-friends, and
anyone else is invited. :-)

I plan to say a little about the benefits of freedom, the origins of
Free State Project, what we are doing now and what we are trying to accomplish.  The student organization that invited us is also interested in 2nd amendment rights, so I'll try to look up some information about gun laws in NH and this latest move to implement Alaska Carry.  Anyone know more about that?

I still don't know any place for us to get together for dinner, any
suggestions?  We would probably find a place to have a beer
afterwards as well.

Hope to see you there,
Dan

Government can do only one thing: It can break your legs, hand you a crutch, and say, "See?  If not for the government you couldn't walk."
Daniel McGuire

What's a llama?

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2004, 08:00:34 pm »

I've put the flyer for the April 8 lecture at Willamette University on our group's website.  There are three formats:
HTML, DOC and PDF.  If you live within an hour's drive or so of Salem and want to help, please make some copies and post them around your town.  You might want to post the places you've visited here, to avoid any overlap.

I'm going to do Vancouver and post at the two colleges (WSU & Clark), public libraries and community centers.  Any other suggestions?

Dan
Daniel McGuire

What's a llama?

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2004, 12:22:13 pm »

I regularly hear members say "I want to help, let me know how".  Given the millions of people walking the streets how do we reach 14,400 of them who will be willing to commit?

Well, Andrew Wiegand of the Massachusetts/Rhode Island group has written a "manifesto" with some excellent, concrete suggestions of what we can do now to get the word out.  You can read it here.

What do you think?

Dan
Jacqueline Mackie Paisley Passey
Golden Porcupine

I'm a porcupine!

Ignore
Single female porcupine in Seattle
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2004, 08:22:12 pm »

Hi!  I'm a 25 year old divorced white female, 5'7", 135 lbs, 36C-28-40, IQ 145.  I'm an atheist, Libertarian, Free State Project member, and science fiction fan.  I'm currently a junior at Seattle University, majoring in Economics, planning to go to grad school (not sure where yet) to become a development economist.  Previously I worked as the Director of the Libertarian Party of Washington State.  I have a website at http://www.JacquelinePassey.com/

I'm interested in meeting non smoking atheist male porcupines in my area.  

"Hagrid"
FSP Participant

We don't need 20K... we just need you to move now.

Ignore
Willamette Lecture will be a good meetup place...
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2004, 02:23:09 am »

So far, I'm aware of at least 4 or 5 people who will be there at the
March 7th FSP lecture in Salem.

If you are interested in meeting other FSPers in Oregon (or even Washington), please show up!

The more the merrier!!!

Daniel McGuire

What's a llama?

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2004, 09:17:16 pm »

Seth, that's Thursday, April 8, not March 7!  Smiley

For those that won't be in Salem (and for those that will) I'd like to schedule some get-togethers later this month.  We can socialize a bit and plan some recruiting activities.  Here's what I have in mind:

- Sat, April 17, 2:00pm at my house: 2200 NW 151st St, Vancouver WA 98685.  360-573-4647.

- Sun, April 18, 2:00pm in Seattle, location TBA.

Hopefully most will be able to attend one of these (my apologies to those in Medford, Spokane, etc).

Please RSVP if you are able to attend, and for those in the Seattle area, could you suggest/volunteer a place to meet?  A restaurant or bar could work just as well as a home.

Thanks,
Dan
spike@alum.mit.edu

Daniel McGuire

What's a llama?

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2004, 05:44:36 pm »

The lecture at Willamette University is at 7:00 this Thursday, but if you can get there early let's meet for dinner here:

Christos Pizzeria
324 Church St NE
Salem, OR 97301
(503) 371-2892  

I'll be there by 5:00, but I have to leave early to set up.  You can arrive later if you like.  The lecture hall is a few blocks away.  Please RSVP to spike@alum.mit.edu so I know how big a table to get.  In case anything goes wrong, my cell number is 360-909-3044.

See you,
Dan

Daniel McGuire

What's a llama?

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2004, 07:48:58 pm »

Portland and Seattle FSP meetings THIS WEEKEND

Hi everyone,

FSP meetings are coming up this weekend in the Portland area on Saturday the 17th and Seattle on Sunday the 18th, both at 2:00pm.  I'd love to see you at one (or both!) of these.  We'll meet others in the group and plan local recruiting activities.  Please RSVP to spike@alum.mit.edu so we won't start without you.

The Portland area meeting is at my house: 2200 NW 151st St, Vancouver WA 98685  phone: 360-573-4647  Take I-5 to exit 7 (134th St) in Washington.  Go west about three miles.  You will pass three schools in a row.  Turn right at the corner of the third school (Chinook Elementary) onto NW 21st Ave.  After about a half mile, the road curves left and becomes NW 151st St.  We're the first house on the right.  Saturday, April 17, 2:00pm.

The Seattle meeting is at Myrtle Edwards Park, 3130 Alaskan Way W.  My cell number is 360-909-3044.  Take I-5 exit 167 towards Mercer St/Seattle Center.  Keep right at the fork in the ramp.  Turn right onto Fairview Ave N.  Turn left onto Valley St.  Valley becomes Broad.  Turn right onto Alaskan Way, the park is just ahead of you.  There are some picnic tables there, but bring a lawn chair or a blanket since we'll probably sit on the grass.  I'll make a porcupine sign to rally round.  Sunday, April 18, 2:00pm.

See you soon,
Dan
Daniel McGuire

What's a llama?

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2004, 03:28:45 pm »

Porcupines may be interested in the following lecture in Portland on Monday.  You have to RSVP (see below) by Friday, but there is no charge.  Carol and I are going.

Dan

Randy Barnett, J.D.
Boston University law professor and author

Restoring the Lost Constitution: The Presumption of Liberty

Randy Barnett, J.D. will offer remarks about returning to the Constitution those clauses that have been stripped out by the courts, including the "necessary and proper" clause, the "commerce clause," and the Ninth and Tenth Amendments.

Monday, April 19
The University Club
1225 SW Sixth Avenue
Portland, Oregon

5:30pm - Reception (hors d'oeuvres)
6:00pm - Authors remarks, followed by Q&A

RSVP before or on April 16 to events@cascadepolicy.org or (503) 242-0900.

Advance reservations required. There is no charge for the reception. No host bar.

About Randy Barnett, J.D.
A Cato Institute Senior Fellow, Professor Barnett is an expert on constitutional law, criminal law, contract law and drug policy. He is the author of The Structure of Liberty and the editor of The Rights Retained by the People: The History and Meaning of the Ninth Amendment. Barnett lectures internationally and appears frequently on radio and television programs, including The CBS Evening News, The News Hour with Jim Lehrer (PBS), Talk of the Nation (NPR), and even The Ricki Lake Show. Barnett is a former prosecutor in the Office of the State's Attorney, Cook County, Illinois.
Daniel McGuire

What's a llama?

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2004, 11:48:13 pm »

Sunday's Seattle meeting moved under cover

The forecast for Sunday is wet and cold.  Jacqueline Passey has been kind enough to volunteer her place for our meeting, still at 2pm.  I guess we'll save our day in the park for July.  Here's her directions:

Phinney Ridge Condominiums, 8720 Phinney Ave N.  From I-5 take the N 85th Street exit, go west on N 85th Street, past Aurora Ave N, go up the hill about a half dozen blocks, take a right on Phinney Ave N (one block past the lighted intersection of Dayton Ave N).  If you go past Greenwood Ave N you've gone to far.  Once on Phinney go one block and park.  The Phinney Ridge Condominiums are on the right, overlooking the Safeway parking lot, with two glowing orbs in front of the door.  Buzz "Passey" on the callbox to get in.  Lost?  Call 206-706-1201.

FYI, the current RSVP count is 11.  I hope everyone checks their email. :-)

Dan
"Hagrid"
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2004, 07:06:44 pm »

Seth, that's Thursday, April 8, not March 7!  Smiley

Oops.  Roll Eyes

I've got to start double reading my posts before I send submit.

Won't be able to attend the Portland meeting, or Seattle, sadly.
But let's plan on a Eugene meeting at some point, with lots of publicity ahead of time.

Daniel McGuire

What's a llama?

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2004, 07:05:34 pm »

Calling all Seattle-area porcupines

Emily Sandblade has done a nice job and gotten us a table at the Washington State Libertarian Party Convention on Saturday May 1 (don't wear red?) at the Doubletree in Bellevue.  We need volunteers to man the table, hand out literature and talk with convention goers about the FSP.  Please let me know if you can be there for some period between 12:30pm and 6:00pm.  Ideally, we'd like two people on the table at all times.  You don't need to be a member of the LP or pay a convention fee to help out.

Dan Goebel has some literature, but we could probably use more.  Let me know if you have access to a nice printer and are willing to make some copies of brochures from this page:  http://www.freestateproject.org/getinvolved/downloads/index.jsp

I'm leaving town first thing Thursday, so please respond ASAP.

Thanks,
Dan
Daniel McGuire

What's a llama?

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2004, 11:33:23 am »

Hi Everyone,

Carol and I have returned after five weeks in northern Europe.  Nice place, but ridiculously expensive, probably due to the incredible level of government & taxation.  An ordinary paperback book in Copenhagen is $19!  If you have any doubts about the benefits of freedom, just visit some places like Estonia and the former East Germany.  The people there are so happy, they practically bubble.

We should be planning some recruiting activities for the summer.  Two ideas have surfaced.  First, Emily Sandblade has suggested we go to Hempfest (http://www.hempfest.org) in Seattle, Aug 21-22.  This sounds like an excellent place to meet people hand out literature.  Secondly,  Paul Tripp (not from our area) suggests we target Rush concerts.  I'm not familiar with them, but he makes a good case (see below).  They are going to be here in the northwest July 4th weekend, an especially good time to capitalize on patriotic fervor.

What do you think?  I'll be here for Hempfest, but will be in New Hampshire in early July.  Would you like to join in the effort to staff these events?

Also, we should be planning another meeting to touch base.  I would like to have the Seattle one on Sunday, July 25 (Jacqueline, your place again, or maybe the park this time?) and how about one in Eugene on July 10th or 11th?

Dan

-------------------------------------------
Subject: Rush summer tour

A lot of libertarians know the band Rush for writing songs about Ayn Rand's novels, and their fans have been exposed for decades to songs about freedom, individualism, limited government, and anti-collectivism. Their isn't much of a better place to find potential libertarian recruits than a Rush concert.... and they're touring this summer! Why not capitalize on the occasion and do some advertising and recruiting there? If you're having trouble getting activity in your local group, giving them a fun activity that promotes the FSP, like doing activism at a concert, could be just what you need. Since a lot of FSPers are Rush fans anyway, you shouldn't have much problem finding local members willing to go to a Rush concert for the FSP.

All you'd really have to do is have a few members in FSP shirts with flyers to give to anyone who asks about the FSP. Amanda suggested putting stickers up in noticeable places around the concert hall (the bathrooms being an easy one) and flyering people's cars - stickering seems like a good idea, flyering the cars might get people more annoyed than anything else, though. Discuss it with your local group, and if you decide to have an FSP presence at their shows, figure out what you want to do.

Anyway, here are the dates for the rest of the tour: I'll be at the Kansas City show, someone on the forums said they plan to hit the Las Vegas show, and Amanda Phillips said she'd make the Boston show. There's still plenty of time to get tickets to the northeast US leg of the tour, but many of the northwest and midwest shows are already over.
July 02 Seattle
July 03 Portland
"Hagrid"
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2004, 01:07:53 pm »

Also, we should be planning another meeting to touch base.  I would like to have the Seattle one on Sunday, July 25 (Jacqueline, your place again, or maybe the park this time?) and how about one in Eugene on July 10th or 11th?

July 10, 11 is Oregon Country Fair time... doing it that weekend guarantees NOBODY non-fsp already will attend.
The weekend before that is July 4th, another bad time to hold one...  How about the last Weekend in June?  It's still early enough? 26th or 27th of June?  And then the July 25th in Seattle makes sense and isn't too close to the other one.  (I won't be able to attend in Seattle anyway... too close to our wedding plans)

Anyone else interested in Eugene on the 26th or 27th?

Seth

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: