Free State Project Forum
271249 Posts in 22223 Topics by 36635 Members / Latest Member: Begotten
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 31, 2014, 04:02:42 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Join the FSP

POSTING GUIDELINES and ADVICE FOR NEW MEMBERS

NOTICE: The forum will be down for maintenance beginning at 7PM (NH time) this evening. It should be up again by 9PM. Please forgive the inconvenience and feel free to e-mail arick@freestateproject.org if you have any questions or support requests.

+  Free State Project Forum
|-+  FSP Community
| |-+  Local Groups (Moderator: Power Penguin)
| | |-+  Iowa
« previous next »
Pages: [1]  Go Down Print
Author Topic: Iowa  (Read 10712 times)
Rearden
FSP Participant

We're supposed to be activists, remember?

Ignore
Iowa
« on: March 13, 2004, 11:58:53 pm »

This group is currently lacking a group leader.  To volunteer, please contact Keith Murphy at keithrmurphy AT comcast.net. 

Email List

Government can do only one thing: It can break your legs, hand you a crutch, and say, "See?  If not for the government you couldn't walk."
vanguardist
FSP Participant

Ignore
Re: Iowa
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 12:33:56 am »

Hello. I just signed up as a FSP member and have also recently moved to the Iowa City area. Any activities planned?
LiveFreeIowa

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 10:54:06 pm »

Is there any plans of organizing in Iowa? With the nanny state we have going here, this is needed so bad! Anyone from here, please post, let's get this rolling.
sj
Participant Services Director/Advertising Sales Director
Administrator

Paleoconservative

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 11:03:24 pm »

Is there any plans of organizing in Iowa? With the nanny state we have going here, this is needed so bad! Anyone from here, please post, let's get this rolling.

Welcome, LiveFreeIowa!!  I love a first post that's about action!  Smiley

Currently, if you look at our local groups page, you'll see that the Iowa group is currently vacant.  The first step of re-invigorating a local group is getting a leader.  It looks like there are at least two of you who are interested in getting active.  Would you like to be the local group leader so I can send all interested people in the future to you?  You would be responsible for organizing meetings and activities.  There's lots of how-to on the local groups section of the website. 

EDIT

Also, as you can see on the local groups page, there's an Iowa FSP yahoo group.  Join that and see if anyone is interested in meeting up (or maybe they've all since moved to NH Smiley)

« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 11:06:16 pm by sjhipple » Logged

Moved?  Update your address so we can move the counter and get more people to follow you! To update, go to www.freestateproject.org/user

Click on "edit"

Click on "FSP Registration Information"

Update your address and click "submit"
policestaterefugee

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 12:09:42 am »

Any Iowan's out there interested in starting up an Iowa chapter of this project?  It sounds like NH is doing well, so I think we should try it here in Iowa.
10stateswithnh

Liberty Lover on New Hampshire seacoast

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 03:55:00 pm »

First, I'm glad that you are here and want to have more freedom.

I doubt you'll get a lot of people interested in moving to Iowa for freedom. Maybe the people from Illinois, Wisconsin, and Minnesota who don't want to move to another part of the country but still want more freedom.

It seems to be an ok state on freedom, but is only ranked #16 in overall freedom. See Freedom in the 50 states, a study of state policies and laws from 2006. Jason Sorens, who came up with the concept of the FSP, is one of the authors. I recommend you download the PDF file on this page.

http://mercatus.org/publication/freedom-50-states-index-personal-and-economic-freedom

If we had enough dedicated libertarians to do a free state project in every state, we wouldn't have needed the FSP.

Generally the purpose of local groups on this forum is to promote the movement to NH in your local area, and to meet the other people who are moving before you all move, not to start your own FSP. Oh my, I sound like a moderator!   Shocked  I'm not, though.

Seriously, though, if you decide to do it I wish you the best of luck. Personally, I will be moving to NH next year. If my family all stay in the west I might give Wyoming a try in a few years - they have a rival group and came in #2 in the vote of which state to move to in 2003.

Bryce in Rochester
States I have lived in:
PA, DE, WA, ME, SC, NY, GA, UT, CO, NH as of Sep 2011!
Pages: [1]  Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: