Free State Project Forum
271249 Posts in 22223 Topics by 36635 Members / Latest Member: Begotten
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 31, 2014, 05:34:10 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Join the FSP

POSTING GUIDELINES and ADVICE FOR NEW MEMBERS

NOTICE: The forum will be down for maintenance beginning at 7PM (NH time) this evening. It should be up again by 9PM. Please forgive the inconvenience and feel free to e-mail arick@freestateproject.org if you have any questions or support requests.

+  Free State Project Forum
|-+  FSP Community
| |-+  Local Groups (Moderator: Power Penguin)
| | |-+  Midwest FSP -- MI, n OH, ne IN
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  Go Down Print
Author Topic: Midwest FSP -- MI, n OH, ne IN  (Read 44657 times)
Rearden
FSP Participant

We're supposed to be activists, remember?

Ignore
Midwest FSP -- MI, n OH, ne IN
« on: March 10, 2004, 02:52:42 am »

Group Leader: Erica Rettig

Email: ozugo AT yahoo.com

Email List

Government can do only one thing: It can break your legs, hand you a crutch, and say, "See?  If not for the government you couldn't walk."
Delaware2
FSP Participant

Freedomfighter, Libertarian, Engineer, Early Mover

Ignore
Re:Midwest FSP -- MI, n OH, ne IN
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2004, 07:17:22 pm »

What happened with the ann arbor mtg?

No one gets my twice-posted message that I can't yahoo.

So no one tells me the meeting location.  

Next time, at the Bash??  First Saturday in April??  
11AM, the Bash, maybe 2 or 3 would be a good time
for the meeting--if you can remember.

Detroiter

I take my llama shooting!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2004, 12:58:55 pm »

Delaware2 wrote: What happened with the ann arbor mtg?

No one gets my twice-posted message that I can't yahoo.

I've been wondering about the wisdom of the Midwest 'Pines being located over on Yahoo.  I find the popup ads annoying, and you have brought up another issue.   But it might not be so great to have duplicity in both places either.  To answer your question, here's a note from Yahoo on the March 6 meeting:

Yeah ZuG, I think the meeting went well.  We covered some
interesting, widely varied topics:
1)Money- The NH bill to allow transactions with the state to be done
in sound money (silver or gold metal) was brought up.  One attendee
was kind enough to show us some Liberty dollars, both the coins and
the 100% metal-backed paper money (see www.norfed.org for more
info).  A couple other money approaches for those not fond of fiat
currency were also discussed, one being Hargis accounts.
2)Movies- Several movies with liberty-oriented themes were mentioned, among them "The House of Sand & Fog", "Shenandoah", "Black Sheep"
(with Chris Farley & David Spade) and "Cold Mountain"...I can't say
as I've seen any of them personally.  Also brought up was "Almost
banned movie night" being done by the LP of Oakland county, Michigan
showing "Harry's War" at 7 PM Saturday May 8th, at LP headquarters
610 E. Nine Mile Road in Hazel Park.
3)Harry Browne's site (http://www.harrybrowne.org/)was said to have a link to a site working toward repeal of the federal income tax (follow the Downsize DC button).  There are many other great links as well- you should check out Harry's website.
4)Some good books were discussed as well, "Possum Living" by Dolly
Freed (sp.?), and "Your money or your life" by Vicki Robin & Joe
Dominguez.  The first described living on the cheap, and the second
explores what you'd do with your life if all your basic needs were
met...then helps show you how to get to that point in life quicker.
5)Cheap smokes are available through a website (www.yesmoke.ch) however, do your own checking on the legality of such an undertaking...seems the tax man might not be happy if he misses out!
6)Tried to rough out some things which need changing, came up with:
a. reforming property seizure without due process
b. legalizing grass (overall, or just medical)
c. ending defacto discrimination known as affirmative action
d. correcting McCain-Feingold law stifling free political speech
under guise of "campaign finance reform"
e. reversing some losses of privacy & rights brought about by
the "Patriot Act".
7)JP is running for LP Executive Committee (Michigan), and is of the
opinion the LP should do some petition drives.  In fact, when our
meeting broke up JP went out into downtown Ann Arbor (liberal capitol
of SE Michigan) to gather petition signatures for the MCRI (Michigan
Civil Rights Intitiative- for more info see www.MCRI2004.org).  My kind
of activist!

So that's not a bad exchange of ideas for less than a dozen FSP
types, meeting for the first time, to toss out over a couple hours,
is it?  Just think what 20,000 commited activists moving to a small
state will be able to do if we can get activism to be a habit in the
here and now?

Vince

Activism on the 90% gap between freedom & today's reality, not endless debate about the 10% we disagree on, will  make or break the endeavor to restore freedom.
Delaware2
FSP Participant

Freedomfighter, Libertarian, Engineer, Early Mover

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2004, 06:19:04 pm »

It sounds like it went very well indeed.  

I can add to one point: That, firsthand, I have seen how the campaign "reform"
has stopped even grass roots organizations from making a statement
to the effect of "get rid of this corrupt , self-serving crowd" in local government.
McCain-Feingold makes even an ordinary citizen "organize", register, and keep records if you want to send out one letter complaining about your local officials.

However--Action is needed--how to MOVE to the Live Free or Die state.
I'm working on my personal plan, but I might be able to help others, too,
from my Granite state roots.  
Detroiter

Ignore
Almost Banned Movie-Harry's War May 8
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2004, 11:29:49 am »

“Harry’s War” showing in SE Michigan

This “almost banned” film is a comedy/drama about a man who had finally had enough.  Harry Johnson (played by Edward Herrmann) handles his tax problem like any sane patriotic American... he declares war on the Internal Revenue Service.  It isn't for hate of paying taxes, but love of and defense for his "Aunt" Beverly (played by 1986 Oscar winner Geraldine Paige), who is being unjustly harassed by the IRS. Harry's defensive spirit refuses to be broken. The hilarious antics that Harry chooses to fight the huge bureaucracy of government, becomes an effective weapon with the powerful American TV media. Harry's War ends with a dramatic climax you won't soon forget.

When "Harry's War" was released in 1981, it was almost immediately withdrawn from theaters.  The stars and almost everyone involved the film's production were audited by the IRS in an apparent effort to further suppress it!  A must see!!

You are invited to see "Harry's War" on Saturday, May 8, 7pm at Libertarian Party of SE Mich HQ, 610 E. Nine Mile Rd in Hazel Park.  It's about a half mile east of I-75 on Nine Mile, on the north side of the road.

Suggested donation: $10.  Free popcorn!  Afterglow party!  Hang out with liberty loving folks!  Queries - contact Greg Dirasian: gdirasian@lpocmi.org or phone 248 592 9731

Activism on the 90% gap between freedom & today's reality, not endless debate about the 10% we disagree on, will  make or break the endeavor to restore freedom.
PintofStout
FSP Participant

The Dude Abides!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2004, 12:53:24 pm »

As I am not willing to drive 3+ hours from Youngstown, OH to see a movie, regardless of quality, do you know if the movie is available in any other format?  Perhaps it has a website to get more information?

Jeff

You Moos sure can party!
Detroiter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2004, 07:00:21 pm »

PintofStout-  I wound up missing the movie night myself.  I just did a search over on Ebay, and found 10 VHS copies in new condition for 25 bucks apiece.  Here's the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=309&item=4185009306&rd=1&ssPageName=WD1V

I think I'll see if I can borrow from the local LP rep who put on the fundraiser...although I do really want to see "Harry's War", 25 bucks is a little steep...even if it is "almost banned".

K. Boyle

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2004, 11:04:00 pm »

I will be moving to Michigan in the very near future to be near my partner as he finishes school. I would like to know if there are any other planned events for this area, or if any FSP members live near the Roscommon area.

Thank you.

When was the dream realized? Has the thoughts from the previous night awakened with the dawn? Can you imagine a world of dreams that have taken on a life of their own? When these questions are answered, you have the basis for a mighty quest of freedom.
Detroiter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2004, 06:38:20 am »

Welcome to Michigan!  Our state needs more advocates of freedom, so I hope you'll practice up on your activism while you're here.  Our state just had a nice advancement yesterday, as the City of Detroit medical marijuana initiative which was on the ballot passed (congrats to Tim Beck & crew).

Some resources you may want to look into:
1)Yahoo! Group Midwest Porcupines http://groups.yahoo.com/group/midwestporcupines/ (You'll need to register, which is fairly painless)
2) College Libertarian club at Central Michigan looks like the closest one to you, contact via e-mail cmulp@yahoo.com
3) Libertarian Party of Michigan website is http://www.lpmich.org/  which includes a calendar of upcoming events.

Let me know if you need more info, or how the relocation is going for you.

mvpel
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2004, 06:15:21 pm »

An FSP-sounding LTE was published in today's A2 News. Does anyone know Jerrod Mason?

With the crap the city council has been pulling lately, seems like Ann Arbor would be ripe pickings for FSP members.

I'll post the link when MLive.com updates with today's info.

New Hampshire Notary Public - Merrimack Valley Area - Silver Accepted
Detroiter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2004, 08:11:57 am »

Here's an upcoming event for this week in SE Michigan:

September 9, 2004 - 7:30 PM
Speech: "The Free State Project and the History of the LPM," by Brian Wright, former LPM Chair. Dinner at 7pm, meeting 7:30pm.
Location: Cubs' AC Restaurant (located in the Colonial Lanes Bowling Center) at 1950 S Industrial Hwy, Ann Arbor.
Contact: Jeff Weber Phone: (734) 434-6486 E-mail: humanism@comcast.net

Detroiter

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2004, 11:37:40 pm »

SE Michigan lit drop- volunteer a few hours?

Sara Sjoberg is a Libertarian running for State Representative for District 27 in Michigan (Royal Oak & Madison Heights).  She did well in the 4-way debate, which is running repeatedly on the local cable channel between now and the election.  She also has put together a very nice website with lots of information on her political positions.  One effort which could use some volunteer help between now and Election Tuesday is door-to-door literature drops.  If you are in the area and can spare 2 hours or more, check out her website for her contact information...you can either sign up for an area to cover by yourself, or hook up with another volunteer if you want to have some fun and good company.

www.sarasjoberg.com

Drew

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2004, 09:42:23 pm »

Noob Here

Barely beginning to consider a move. I just alway swore when I was ready to move, it would be away from the cold and snow.

Live in Belleville, MI
« Last Edit: November 03, 2004, 09:42:53 pm by Drew » Logged

__
Drew
Detroiter

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2004, 07:55:42 pm »

Hi Drew, welcome to the group!

I think more people in the Midwest 'Pines group keep an eye on the Yahoo Group message board at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/midwestporcupines

I just posted there to see if I can drum up interest in having another meeting.  Here's the meat from that note:  "we have about a dozen new members to the group since our last meeting in March.  I know that summer has been busy for me, and probably for many others as well.  Now that fall is here, perhaps it's a good time for us to get some folks together for some in-person discussions.

While I'd be fine with going back to the same Ann Arbor, Michigan location we used last time, I wonder what others may have in mind?  Post a note with your preference for location(s), day/time, and any other needs such as "smoke free", "kid friendly", or whatever. And if anybody has ideas for some activities we can do while we meet which will help promote the FSP and/or freedom, run those proposals by us."

Detroiter

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2004, 05:32:05 pm »

Hmm...haven't heard a peep on either bulletin board (Yahoo & FSP) from anybody interested in meeting.  Could be y'all are more interested in doing something productive, rather than just some face-to-face time.  Here's an idea that I intend to pursue, if any Midwest Porcupines want to join in that would be great:

Sell some stuff on ebay and donate the money to FSP.  Within the auction listing, put a mention of the FSP, what it's about, a link to the FSP website, and the FSP phone # 888-532-4604.  I want to get a few items together from others in the Midwest Porcupines & list them all at once for synergy & repetition.  One of the places the idea has been previously used (in part):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6910155262

I picked up a nice copy of The Fountainhead at the local library used book rack the other day for 50 cents, that will be one of my first listings for this effort!  Stuff to sell need not be liberty-oriented; even freedom lovers buy all kinds of assorted stuff.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: