Free State Project Forum
271249 Posts in 22223 Topics by 36635 Members / Latest Member: Begotten
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 31, 2014, 06:59:53 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Join the FSP

POSTING GUIDELINES and ADVICE FOR NEW MEMBERS

NOTICE: The forum will be down for maintenance beginning at 7PM (NH time) this evening. It should be up again by 9PM. Please forgive the inconvenience and feel free to e-mail arick@freestateproject.org if you have any questions or support requests.

+  Free State Project Forum
|-+  FSP Community
| |-+  Local Groups (Moderator: Power Penguin)
| | |-+  Tristate -- NYC NJ PA
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tristate -- NYC NJ PA  (Read 44845 times)
Rearden
FSP Participant

We're supposed to be activists, remember?

Ignore
Tristate -- NYC NJ PA
« on: March 10, 2004, 02:08:55 am »

Group Leader: Thomas Ruks

Email: TRuksLP AT yahoo.com

Email List

Government can do only one thing: It can break your legs, hand you a crutch, and say, "See?  If not for the government you couldn't walk."
Gerry LaVallee
FSP Participant

Hunting, camping, or both.......too many choices

Ignore
Re:New York City and State
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2004, 04:15:35 pm »

We (my wife and myself) have been discussing the FSP and were alittle hesitent, when the vote came in for New Hampshire, we started talking about it again. We joined the FSP at the end of February and it now has become an obsession doing research of various localities and what the general economics and lifestyle would be for theses localities. We deciced on a five year plan,based primarily on our economic position. I tell ya' , it's going to be hard..... WE ARE READY FOR A CHANGE NOW. We love the lakes and mountains of upstate NY, and should have no problem adapting to New Hampshire. I'm getting excited. Sorry about rambling.
gerrbear

I work, because millions on welfare depend on me.
kuhllax24

Email
Re:Tristate -- NYC NJ PA
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2004, 09:54:28 am »

Gerrbear,

I joined the FSP in late February as well, after thinking about it for four months.  I now cannot wait to move up there and actually begin my life (I live and work in NYC right now, but totally feel like a transient resident).

Whereabouts are you from?  I originally hail from Rochester, NY and consider Upstate NY my true home (outside of NH).

Also, Tom Ruks, if you're reading this post, please e-mail me back about getting a local group in NYC going.  I don't want to wait on the sidelines any longer and ride on the coattails of others' hard work.

Regards,

Dan
kuhllax24

Email
New York City Local Meetup
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2004, 11:47:27 am »

To All Those Interested:

A few Porcs in the New York City area have decided to meet up this Friday night (including our group leader, Tom Ruks).  The meeting time and location are 6:30 p.m. and the Bull Moose Saloon, respectively.  The Bull Moose Saloon is located on 354 W 44th Street, between 8th and 9th Avenues.  The telephone number is 212-956-5625.

Tom and I thought it would be a good idea to get a few Porcs together and strike up rapport, since there has not been any real communication between various members in the New York City area.  While consuming some tasty beverages and having a bite to eat, we'll talk about the level of commitment the local members are willing to make to recruit new members, strategies to recruit new members, the eventual move to NH, and anything else that pops up in our head.

To any Porcs out there in the New York City region (including northern NJ, Westchester and Long Island): It would be great if you could make it to the meeting this Friday and provide your valuable input.  In addition, I'd love to meet more Porcs out there and get to know them, since I've only met three so far.

To the Guests who frequent this Forum: If you live in New York City and find the concept of the Free State Project intriguing, but are wary of the individuals involved in the Project, Friday night is your chance to see that all of us are regular people, who have in common the desire to be free.  You are more than welcome to come and I would be glad to meet you.

If anyone is interested in coming Friday night, please either call me at work (Tel: 212-350-2639) or write me an e-mail (drd224@nyu.edu) to inform me that you're coming, so that I can let the bar/restaurant know how many are coming.

Hope to see some of you there.

Warmest Regards,

Dan De Roo
Stumpy
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2004, 12:00:45 pm »

Hi Dan,
Would you like to have an announcement about your upcoming NYC meeting emailed to all FSPers in the area? If so, send an Instant Message or email to Keith Murphy and he’ll get it sent out.

Be sure to include the search criteria, such as cities and towns or zip codes. Three digit zip code prefixes work well.

Libertarianitis - A disease where one is incapable of doing anything other than debate. The sufferer is rendered totally incapable of being constructive and constantly marginalizes him or herself by displays of extreme negativity, bitterness and intransigence.
kuhllax24

Email
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2004, 12:50:06 pm »

Just wrote him an e-mail.  Thanks for the heads up Doug.

Dan
kuhllax24

Email
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2004, 12:10:59 pm »

Just wanted to remind everyone that tonight NYC Porcs will be meeting at the Bull Moose Saloon.  Time is 6:30 p.m. and location is 354 W. 44th Street.  

Anyone who is interested in attending is more than welcome to come.  Hope to see some of you there!

Regards,

Dan De Roo
kuhllax24

Email
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2004, 09:00:39 am »

This post gives an overall summary of the happenings at the New York Libertarian convention, which took place this past Saturday, and the FSP recruiting effort at the event.

Tom Ruks arranged an advertising table for the FSP right in front of the main speaking room, and gave me the responsibility of speaking to anyone whose interest was piqued by the FSP.  I brought along printouts of the FSP gun brochure, the Statement of Intent, and the First Annual Porcupine Fest.  Aiding me in the recruiting effort was Ward (don't know his last name) from Kearney, NJ.  

The convention was organized by having a speaker speak every half-an-hour or so.  Some of the noteworthy speakers were Gary Nolan, Aaron Russo, the spokeswoman from Pink Pistols, and the editorial manager of antiwar.com, Justin Raimondo.  You can see Justin's speech at this address.  

People were regularly coming up to the table and seem quite interested in the FSP.  Many had heard of it, and there were many members there.  I convinced one guy to sign up (it didn't take much convincing actually), and about a dozen people, who weren't members, took the Statement of Intent.  I spoke to a number of people who weren't members yet to see why they were hesitant in signing up.  The main reasons I heard were: 1) they didn't think 20,000 people would move up to NH when it was time to go; 2) Libertarians, who squabble amongst themselves quite often, would do the same in NH and thus change wouldn't really happen; and 3) their line of work did not exist in NH.  

I estimate that there was a good 150 people in attendance at the convention at any one time, including a lot of women.  Everyone was friendly and eager to talk to other people in attendance.  I believe that I got the message out to a number of people who had never heard of the Free State Project before, and hopefully one or two more people will sign up.

After the business meeting, members of the FSP, and people interested in the FSP, met at the Whaler Bar, which is located in the Jolly Madison hotel.  I met a number of new Porcs there that night, and would say that there were around 20-25 people there by the time I left the bar at 10 p.m.  Everyone was having a good time, and most of the time people were talking about sports, history, the real estate marketl, and not about NH or the FSP.  I thought this was good since it showed that we're all normal people who are interested in a variety of things, but who all share one common purpose: to reduce the amount of government in our lives.  I definitely know that I won't mind having the Porcs, whom I met that evening, as neighbors in my new home.

In conclusion, I had a new found hope that the FSP might actually succeed.  Tom Ruks and I are going to try other ways of recruiting new members, like by speaking at student libertarian groups at various colleges in New York City.  I think we can recruit a number of energetic and intelligent members from the local universities.  

And I highly recommend that fellow Porcs attend the local group meetings and get involved with the recruiting effort.  It's a rewarding experience to talk to many different people about the FSP (and what good it can do), and perhaps recruit a new member or two.

Regards,

Dan
Jo Hastings
FSP Participant

former llama

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2004, 08:54:15 am »

I just wanted to say hi and it was nice meeting the people I did at the Free State meetup after the lib convention at the Whalers Bar. Seems like I missed a good convention!

I would have liked to stay longer to chat, but it's finals time for me at NYU. I got a few business cards but didn't have any of mine, so if anyone wants to get in touch with me, feel free to message me here!

Jo

"Anybody who knows anything will tell you nothing. And those who know nothing will say anything."
                                                                               - Mark Gearan
trukslp

I'm a llama! yet with quills, and loving it

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2004, 05:08:09 pm »

After so much time, finally registered to share notes at this forum.

I thank those who were able to meet April 24 in Manhattan.
Thanks also to those at the LP convention.

Looking to visit NH for the festival in June.
Might see some folks at the LP national in Atlanta end of May.

Open to suggestions for activities. Looking for other local leaders and thank you to our contact upstate. Thank you Brian.

For anyone interested, Prof. Don Silberger is running in NY for US Senate as a Libertarian. Hope he might have your support and possible vote.

I expect to still be in NYC through 2006, perhaps some years more.
Cheers. Thanks. Until we meet again. TR
JerseyChris

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2004, 09:15:13 am »

Live in North Jersey and work in NYC and just joined.
adonis79
FSP Participant

TheFlowerOf SafetyLiesWithin ThePerilousThorns

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2004, 02:21:48 pm »

Hello All,
 I will be visiting Long Island from the 23-31 of December would love to meet up with local porcs I can be emailed at ryan9771@yahoo.com

Thanks,
Ryan

I have seen the freest among you wear their freedom as a yoke and a handcuff.
And my heart bled within me; for you can only be free when even the desire of freedom becomes a harness to you,  and when you cease to speak of freedom as a goal and a fulfillment.
Kahlil Gibran
Aderiaj

Ignore
Re: Tristate -- NYC NJ PA
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2005, 09:13:39 pm »

Group Leader: Thomas Ruks

Email: TRuksLP AT yahoo.com

Email List

hi everyone

my name is Aderia Jones
and im new too this site
I would like to see new hampshire again soon
kater
the greater
FSP Participant

NH Resident

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2005, 02:40:19 pm »

FSP New Yorkers:

I just spotted this post on Volokh.com:

[Randy Barnett, March 2, 2005 at 1:47pm] 0 Trackbacks / Possibly More Trackbacks
SPEECHES TOMORROW IN NYC: Tomorrow, I will speaking on Ashcroft v. Raich at NYU law school at 12:15 p.m. Vanderbilt Hall (located at 40 Washington Square South) Room 204 (lunch will be provided) and at Columbia law school at 6:30pm (Greene Hall 104).

For anyone who's interested, this would be a good opportunity to go hear a libertarian advocate speak about the medical marijuana case, which he just argued before the Supreme Court.  Professor Barnett also mentioned the FSP (briefly) on the same blog (Volokh) last week.

It's time for President Paul.
www.ronpaulhq.com
RidleyReport
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2005, 10:05:03 pm »

Looks like I'm going to be in the Trenton on April 25.  As I have done other places that I just happen to be, I would like to set up a social there for local Free Staters. 

Any suggestions on location are welcome, otherwise I will pick a suburb and a chain restaurant for us to meet at.  Best time will probably be around 7PM.   I can answer some of your questions about living in NH, will have many stories to tell and pics to pass around!   

I could potentially use help advertising this via letters to editor, etc.

The Revolution is now Televised
http://RidleyReport.com
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: