Free State Project Forum
271231 Posts in 22216 Topics by 36622 Members / Latest Member: Magsmerlyn
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 25, 2014, 01:53:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Join the FSP

POSTING GUIDELINES and ADVICE FOR NEW MEMBERS

NOTICE: The forum will be down for maintenance beginning at 7PM (NH time) this evening. It should be up again by 9PM. Please forgive the inconvenience and feel free to e-mail arick@freestateproject.org if you have any questions or support requests.

+  Free State Project Forum
|-+  New Hampshire -- The "Live Free or Die" State
| |-+  Education/ Homeschooling
| | |-+  Mandatory 'Club' Class
« previous next »
Pages: [1]  Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mandatory 'Club' Class  (Read 2005 times)
LeopardPM
FSP Participant

Ignore
Mandatory 'Club' Class
« on: August 09, 2003, 07:06:20 pm »

Hi,
I was just informed by an employee that the high school her children attend has a Mandatory 'Club' Class, that is to say, a class which is like play hour, frisbee, chess, etc - no credit for the class, but it is mandatory.  this new policy was passed last year supposedly in an effort to reduce the suicide rate of the children in the area.

Her argument against this policy was that "So you are telling me that my children who are currently failing in a variety of different subjects, will be forced to spend an hour of precious time playing tiddly-winks instead of perhaps studying in the subjects the need help in?"

I can't believe the insanity of our current system, and I wonder why exactly libertarianism (or even just home-school initiatives) haven't become more widespread acceptance...

michael

nothing to say...
arclight
FSP Participant

Constitutionalist!

Ignore
Re:Mandatory 'Club' Class
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2003, 09:19:45 pm »

I think it is a shame that parents allow their children into public school systems. The insanity is almost surreal sometimes, the things my property taxes are used for. A full time grief counselor?? What has given these public school systems the idea that they should attempt to replace every facet of a parents role in their childs lives? Maybe the idea came from the incompetant and power hungry liberals these same idiot parents elected in the first place? This club class would be spit in my face if my child was forced to enroll. But, I'd imagine the parents in that district allow it, as they know no better. It's a shame...

" The harder I work, the more luck I seem to have"   Thomas Jefferson
jeanius

Email
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2003, 10:44:29 am »

What's even more insane is the current explorations into expanding school to pre-school programs.  I believe 8 states are combining Head Start into school systems as a trial.  The state raising our children aspect of schooling is frightening and growing.  

Jean
jhfenton
FSP Participant

Civilly Disobedient

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2003, 11:24:44 am »

Having a young child definitely crystallizes the negative feelings I have about public schools. Our son would be due to start kindergarten in the fall of 2008. I can almost guarantee it won't be in a public school. I am leaning toward homeschooling, at least through junior high. My wife and I are both more than capable of teaching him. The best choice for high school will depend on his personality and interests.
Pages: [1]  Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: