Free State Project Forum
268994 Posts in 21904 Topics by 36094 Members / Latest Member: MCarlos
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2014, 10:45:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Join the FSP

POSTING GUIDELINES and ADVICE FOR NEW MEMBERS

NOTICE: The forum will be down for maintenance beginning at 7PM (NH time) this evening. It should be up again by 9PM. Please forgive the inconvenience and feel free to e-mail arick@freestateproject.org if you have any questions or support requests.

+  Free State Project Forum
|-+  FSP -- General Discussion
| |-+  General FSP Discussion
| | |-+  Free State: Not So Free! (forced inspections inside your home)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3  Go Down Print
Author Topic: Free State: Not So Free! (forced inspections inside your home)  (Read 5057 times)
1DayAtATime
First 1000
Global Moderator

Live Free or Die!

Re: Free State: Not So Free! (forced inspections inside your home)
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2012, 09:25:55 pm »

Indeed but at least in Cali we don't have mandatory inspections ( yet )...

I am not sure what you are talking about but we don't have forced inspection in NH and never did.

If you are referring to Manchester requiring occasional inspections for certainly rental property, I'm sure the same thing happens all over CA.  My guess is property/building inspection is far more regulated and stringent in CA than NH.  For an example, see below.  

The Systematic Code Enforcement Program (SCEP) is designed to routinely inspect all residential rental properties with two or more housing units on a four-year cycle and to respond to reports of property violations.  Inspections are conducted to ensure the safety and habitability of all occupied rental dwelling units.
http://cris.lacity.org/cris/informationcenter/code/about.htm

CA definitely is freer than NH in 2 areas that I know of.  CA has less restrictive marijuana and alcohol laws.  Also, in some parts of CA, I think the speed limit is 5 MPH higher than in NH.  As for anything else, I'm sure there must be other state but I don't know about it.

Please do not take anything I say as 100% accurate or as an official opinion of the FSP.

Haven't joined the Free State Project yet? Join now! http://freestateproject.org/fsn10
Looking for resources on where to live and how to find a job in NH? http://freestateproject.org/resources
MaineShark
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2012, 09:45:48 pm »

Indeed but at least in Cali we don't have mandatory inspections ( yet )...

I doubt that CA has any fewer mandatory inspections than NH.  Probably more.  If you're in an area where you can actually get a CCW, then you are not in one of the large cities, correct?  Check the big cities, and I expect they have the same sort of inspections that Manchester has.

I can still get a concealed weapons permit here in Cali and do not see how open carrying makes any sense at all except to assert power or to at least LOOK powerful just as the oinks tend to do.

Rights not exercised are easier to infringe.  Sometimes concealed makes sense.  But it's also important for ordinary folks to see other ordinary folks carrying guns, so they realize that it's not something that only a few crazies do, which is how the media tries to portray it.

If ordinary upstanding members of the community were able to publicly smoke marijuana, wouldn't it be harder to get traction for bans?  "Oh, pot? My banker smokes pot. What's the big deal about it?"  As long as they can make folks hide what they're doing, they can make it look shameful, and get others to support banning it.

I would like to be able to choose when people know I have a weapon. Once you are known in town to open carry you will soon be known as "that open carry guy" and not too smart in my book.

In NH, you won't have that sort of stigma.  I can walk into a restaurant in Concord openly carrying, and the most that's likely to happen will be someone will ask me what I'm carrying, and why I chose that particular gun, and do I have any opinion on the gun that his brother was looking at buying.

Because it's seen, it's part of the culture, and is no big deal.

Especially since all we were able to do here was open carry UNLOADED, wtf is the point of that?

Yeah, we don't have that sort of nonsense.

...that doesn't bother me as much as city/state coming into my house or rental properties.

You were talking about buying a large chunk of land and living off-grid.  You ain't going to be doing that inside the city limits of Manchester, anyway, and you're not likely to find such inspections anywhere else.  As was noted earlier in the thread, they can ask to enter your home for a tax assessment, but you can just turn them down, and they have no recourse to try and force the issue.

"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..
John Edward Mercier

Native

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2012, 12:39:59 am »

They can get a warrant.
John Edward Mercier

Native

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2012, 12:49:30 am »

Home invasion is one of the worst ways that you can be mentally raped. I'd take a sales tax before a home invasion by a government lackey. But, that's me - and probably not you. To me, forced home invasions places NH somewhere in 40th thru 44th place in the free states.

Woah, man, I am not sure what the issue is.  Previously, NH didn't have forced home invasion by inspectors.  Previously, if you refused to allow the inspector into your home, you couldn't appeal a property tax bill based on an absurdly high assessment.  Now you can.  Problem solved. I am sorry that you found an article with wrong info but it happens all of the time. 

Heck, I remember seeing a map showing the states fighting ObamaCare on it.  NH wasn't highlighted.  Funny thing is, NH has done more than any other state to stop ObamaCare.  Sometimes stuff on the internet is wrong.  It happens.  Here is what NH has done to stop ObamaCare. http://nhfreedom.wordpress.com/2012/07/02/what-new-hampshire-did-to-stop-obamacare/
This is true; but to fight the absurdly high assessment... you need to allow someone access to assess your home.
Ward Griffiths
First 1000
FSP Participant

Canvas and Quicklime

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2012, 02:36:02 am »

They can get a warrant.

So we have to do something about that down in Concord.  It depresses (even shames) me (for years) that you're such an apologist for government.  Especially since you're almost the only one here aside from myself from Belknap County where I intend to return.  Yes, I've regretted leaving Laconia many of the years since I left for Georgia Tech in 1973.  Hopefully before next  Porcfest I'll be up home.  Lisa gone, nothing holding me in Jersey once I settle all the details and dump the house.  I have no plan to move to Keene, Grafton, Seabrook or one of the other clusters of early movers.  And especially not Manchester, all of my sisters and most of their spawn and their spawns' spawn are down there.  The house I lived in with my grandmother from 10th grade to graduation (bought by my grandfather in 1917, he was 4F due  to only having one eye and rebuilt/expanded by him until his death in 1968) is being rented out by Mom and my uncle and  I hope to live there again long enough to straighten my head.  Or someplace else near there.  Lakeport's a peaceful place even if you're not at 46 North Street.

--
Ward Griffiths    wdg3rd@comcast.net

Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.  (Denis Diderot)
MaineShark
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2012, 06:16:15 am »

They can get a warrant.

If they can show cause before a judge.  That's the case, anywhere in the US.

"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..
John Edward Mercier

Native

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2012, 05:50:19 am »

They can get a warrant.

So we have to do something about that down in Concord.  It depresses (even shames) me (for years) that you're such an apologist for government.  Especially since you're almost the only one here aside from myself from Belknap County where I intend to return.  Yes, I've regretted leaving Laconia many of the years since I left for Georgia Tech in 1973.  Hopefully before next  Porcfest I'll be up home.  Lisa gone, nothing holding me in Jersey once I settle all the details and dump the house.  I have no plan to move to Keene, Grafton, Seabrook or one of the other clusters of early movers.  And especially not Manchester, all of my sisters and most of their spawn and their spawns' spawn are down there.  The house I lived in with my grandmother from 10th grade to graduation (bought by my grandfather in 1917, he was 4F due  to only having one eye and rebuilt/expanded by him until his death in 1968) is being rented out by Mom and my uncle and  I hope to live there again long enough to straighten my head.  Or someplace else near there.  Lakeport's a peaceful place even if you're not at 46 North Street.
The government wasn't created by French Roman Catholics; it was created by English Protestants. The basis for it, to secure all that they had acquired. I doubt that I could truly apologize for it. And by the way, certain problems can't be solved in Concord.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 05:52:23 am by John Edward Mercier » Logged
John Edward Mercier

Native

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2012, 06:08:25 am »

They can get a warrant.

If they can show cause before a judge.  That's the case, anywhere in the US.
My point wasn't to show that NH was different. I was showing that they do have recourse.
daveneu

You have no idea! But I do...

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2012, 07:56:25 am »

If hiding your grow room from the apartment inspectors is the most important thing to you, just don't rent an apartment in a town that does inspections.  Most towns in NH don't.

For me, I have nothing to hide. Going a bit further - I actually enjoy paying taxes to my town. OK - in reality, I don't mind as they have been very helpful in the past (and that goes for our police as well). As a matter of fact, on every occasion, I have walked into my town hall and exclaimed "I have come to give you money." I love it here and like to make people laugh - I was a teacher and worked with inner-city kids whose only super power was that they "could go either way." I think my town government is very well run and efficient. An example of how well run I think the local government here is, would be this:

Last year after our big snows, the runoff destroyed the road right in front of my home. I mean, GONE - it went from a road to a riverbed overnight (I had just come up from my other house the previous day). I have pix of the devastation. I called the town police to tell them of what happened and then later on, the town hall as well. At the appropriate time, I walked down to where the road wasn't breeched to make sure that the postal carrier knew what was up ahead and volunteered to help them as needed. Now - here's where it gets exciting.

Early that same afternoon, two vehicles drove up to inspect the problem. Shortly after, an earth mover made it's way up and began working to fix the problem. The crew consisted of (I think) three or four people total. The road was completely repaired in THREE HOURS - the same day. I mean, it was really strengthened with good deposits of stone and a good trench dug on the side to allow the water to dissipate which took at least two weeks to drain. Let me say this again because it bears repeating - THREE HOURS. I had never seen anything like that before from where I hail in MA.

As a matter of fact, if this happened in MA, I believe it would have taken - well let's say - more than three hours. First, a crew would come to inspect and see what damage was done to the local flora and fauna. A study would have come afterward to set up the road block and hire the police detail to manage the area (no police arrived for this) - of course after the "study" had been completed. Then the warning signs would have to go up to tell of the upcoming repairwork and that of course it was approved by the inspectors and bureaucrats.

Again - three hours.

Again - for me, nothing to hide, nothing to show. Happy to fill in the inventory sheets HONESTLY when they arrive (but haven't seen one in a while) and help my neighbors when asked. I'm not interested in drugs or alcohol - chocolate and Triscuits are my faves.

My only fault is that I'm a staunch conservative. OK - I deserve a pat on my back for being a staunch right wing conservative - with the cherries to freely admit.

I honestly don't see myself tolerating anything less than being treated as I deserve. AN HONEST US CITIZEN.

Dave N.
The world of me in an easy-to-take capsule
Jerry
Global Moderator

Next 1000

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2012, 08:45:06 am »

If hiding your grow room from the apartment inspectors is the most important thing to you, just don't rent an apartment in a town that does inspections.  Most towns in NH don't.

For me, I have nothing to hide. ...

That statement was directed at Rank420, the other person in this thread trying to convince people that NH is not the best place for the FSP because Manchester has apartment inspectors for SOME properties.
rank420

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2012, 10:40:33 am »

Jerry,

I am not trying to convince people of anything. I was explaining MY situation which isn't exactly a broad statement. The medical marijuana laws are an issue for ME to move to NH at the moment, odds are if you do not grow then there won't be an issue. Not really a broad way of saying steer clear of new hampshire LOL

come on now its the live free or die state and I live in CommieFornia
MaineShark
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2012, 10:46:32 am »

Heck, you could move to NH, near the Vermont or Maine border, and operate a MMJ dispensary in one of those two states, for that matter, eh?  I don't actually know the details of their laws on the subject, but I'd assume that there's no legal way they could refuse to allow a dispensary to be operated by someone who was not a resident, so long as the dispensary, itself, was incorporated properly and such.

Of course, it will pass again within the next session, with near certainty, and Lynch the Governor* will be gone, so it will be pretty much a slam dunk.

*(note: that's not a threat - that's his actual nickname)

azn4mrpaul

Email
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2012, 11:56:49 am »

I'm going to chime in even though I'm basically speaking from a blank slate.

I guess while the status is unresolved as a poster had said, then you have to weigh the risk and join force to repeal the law.  Liberty is hard work and by fighting, you gain experience and that's how you win and keep freedom.

Secondly, look at the town's web site and study the people there.  As long as you vote and keep the officials who don't do these things then you're fine. 

There's no perfect safety, no place that has no struggle.  The struggle defines your humanity, it helps build your character.

To those interested in moving to NH but not yet here, you might want to rethink your "get out of Dodge" strategy.

Be prepared and happy to submit to the local government going through your home and having no legal recourse when town "assessors" stop by to make a "happy howdy."

Here's something that I just learned - Only two states have no legal recourse when the town decides that it's time to inspect your home - and I am talking inside your home (I'm talking forced town assessment inspections). Those two states are New Hampshire and Wisconcin. I'm stuck in the area, but not for long. Anyway, don't believe me if you choose, but here's the link...

http://www.ij.org/new-hampshire-home-inspections-background

So - "Free State: Not So Free"

TJames

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2012, 02:44:08 pm »

Heck, you could move to NH, near the Vermont or Maine border, and operate a MMJ dispensary in one of those two states, for that matter, eh?

That thought had crossed my mind but I'm not sure if my state would allow it. Would he be legally allowed to take some home? The other issue is taxes. Maine has a lot of taxes. Governor LePage tried to abolish the sales tax but it stalled in the legislation. I don't see the income tax going away anytime soon. That is one of the first reasons I'm moving.
daveneu

You have no idea! But I do...

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2012, 04:19:32 pm »

Secondly, look at the town's web site and study the people there.  As long as you vote and keep the officials who don't do these things then you're fine. 

I am not a full time NH resident. I am only a property owner (unfortunately, I am a MA resident) -  I pay taxes, I have no representation. Or do I?

Dave N.
The world of me in an easy-to-take capsule
Pages: 1 [2] 3  Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: