Free State Project Forum
271253 Posts in 22225 Topics by 36641 Members / Latest Member: JoelSMosny
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 01, 2014, 03:47:38 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Join the FSP

POSTING GUIDELINES and ADVICE FOR NEW MEMBERS

NOTICE: The forum will be down for maintenance beginning at 7PM (NH time) this evening. It should be up again by 9PM. Please forgive the inconvenience and feel free to e-mail arick@freestateproject.org if you have any questions or support requests.

+  Free State Project Forum
|-+  FSP -- General Discussion
| |-+  Prospective Participants
| | |-+  Marijuana Laws
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  Go Down Print
Author Topic: Marijuana Laws  (Read 7902 times)
Valient

Ignore
Marijuana Laws
« on: February 28, 2012, 02:08:03 am »

I'm considering moving to NH, and my first question is about marijuana laws. Input?
Valient

Ignore
Re: Marijuana Laws
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 02:17:18 am »

Also, if someone can tell me about the job market when it comes to the IT world and things of that nature, it would be great. I read some of the earlier posts but they seemed a bit outdated.
time4liberty

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 09:02:51 am »

I'm considering moving to NH, and my first question is about marijuana laws. Input?

Not great at the moment, but moving in the right direction. We had both mm and decrim bills pass the house and senate last session, but both were vetoed by the governor (who's a democrat, while the legislature is full of republicans -- go figure).

Public opinion is strongly in favor of decrim; it's just a matter of time.
time4liberty

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 09:07:05 am »

Also, if someone can tell me about the job market when it comes to the IT world and things of that nature, it would be great. I read some of the earlier posts but they seemed a bit outdated.

NH's great for IT, engineering, etc. The three biggest industries here (three T's) are tourism, tech, and timber -- and the unemployment rate is among the lowest in the country.

I'd go to indeed.com, enter "NH" under "where" and "IT" under "what".

Over 2700 hits: http://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=%22IT%22&l=NH
greap
First 1000
FSP Participant

What we have here is a failure to communicate

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 10:37:44 am »

As was already pointed out MM was passed by both the house and the senate then vetoed by Lynch, the veto override failed in the senate by two votes but passed the house by a wide margin. Decrim passed the house but failed in the senate.

It's pretty much a certainty that MM will pass once Lynch leaves office this year, it looks likely his replacement will be Ovide Lamontagne who has stated while he personally opposes use of pot the state has no business getting between a doctor and a patient.

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 11:59:20 am »

How are the laws currently enforced?  Or does it depend on where in NH you are and the mood of the cop?  I guess I'm asking if cops/courts treat it like a capital offense.  I know possession of any amount is punishable by up to a year and $2000 fine, but is it normal to get time or a huge fine for having a personal amount?
MaineShark
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 01:38:33 pm »

How are the laws currently enforced?  Or does it depend on where in NH you are and the mood of the cop?  I guess I'm asking if cops/courts treat it like a capital offense.  I know possession of any amount is punishable by up to a year and $2000 fine, but is it normal to get time or a huge fine for having a personal amount?

Typically, simple possession / first offense situations end up with a plea deal, unless you refuse to take the plea.  (oddly enough, the typical fine, for a while, was $420)

With jury nullification, folks have managed to get juries to refuse to convict, even on felony "manufacturing" charges.

Folks have also managed to congregate in major public parks and smoke in large groups, with the cops ignoring them.

But there are no guarantees.

"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..
FTL_Ian
FSP Participant/First 1000
Golden Porcupine

Peaceful Evolution

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 10:37:09 pm »

They need changing - please come help us do it.   Wink

150+ Reasons to Move to Keene : http://move.FreeKeene.com

Join the *other* liberty activism forum in NH: http://forum.shiresociety.com
Valient

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 11:43:43 pm »

Thanks a lot guys.

They need changing - please come help us do it.   Wink

I think I will help Smiley I'm super well-versed on the benefit even for non-medical patients. Thanks for your input everyone. This one law will be the selling point for me if I decide to move there.
Sandrock

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 06:29:31 am »

NH is known to have THE MOST STRICTEST LAWS in the US for marijuana.  Funny story:  I was picked-up hitchhiking by Rep. Robert Matheson.  He was on his way to Concord to caucus.  I asked him what was on the ballot.  He said he didn't know because, "I just came back from my EXTRA house in Florida...hahahaha".  I dropped a bomb on him, because you never know if they're going to read your letters, but when you're in the car with them, they HAVE TO LISTEN.  I explained that I have friends that are terminal, and the industry itself is booming everywhere else, and that our tax dollars just shouldn't be being used to fight this battle, (all in so many words).  It's a friggin plant, right?!  I don't know if it was because of me, but a few months later, the medical marijuana bill was reintroduced, and our deuchebag bible-thumping governor who campaigned for the bill and promised to pass it vetoed it.  Our House, being the most aggressive in the Union, decided to override the veto, and took the bill to Senate.  Well, now at least if you're dying, you can get a prescription.  I guess that's better than nothing, but I just can't stand paying taxes for all these weed heads to be in jail/court, etc.  I also can't stand the cops that enforce it. 
Valient

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 04:14:04 pm »

NH is known to have THE MOST STRICTEST LAWS in the US for marijuana.  Funny story:  I was picked-up hitchhiking by Rep. Robert Matheson.  He was on his way to Concord to caucus.  I asked him what was on the ballot.  He said he didn't know because, "I just came back from my EXTRA house in Florida...hahahaha".  I dropped a bomb on him, because you never know if they're going to read your letters, but when you're in the car with them, they HAVE TO LISTEN.  I explained that I have friends that are terminal, and the industry itself is booming everywhere else, and that our tax dollars just shouldn't be being used to fight this battle, (all in so many words).  It's a friggin plant, right?!  I don't know if it was because of me, but a few months later, the medical marijuana bill was reintroduced, and our deuchebag bible-thumping governor who campaigned for the bill and promised to pass it vetoed it.  Our House, being the most aggressive in the Union, decided to override the veto, and took the bill to Senate.  Well, now at least if you're dying, you can get a prescription.  I guess that's better than nothing, but I just can't stand paying taxes for all these weed heads to be in jail/court, etc.  I also can't stand the cops that enforce it. 

I feel you on that. Honestly it has nothing to do with being Christian though. I believe in God strongly and I smoke weed. I don't condemn anyone for doing what they do, God says to love everyone. The fact that Christian dudes in office try to dictate the way people live their lives disgusts me, or when anyone tries to do it for that matter. but good on you for having the balls to confront him on that. I'm only 22, but I feel really strongly like I should go into politics and I think I might move to NH and run for a sort of office. I'm sick of not being able to do what I want and I think everyone deserves the right to choose for themselves what is good for them and what isn't. People shouldn't have to be dying to get a prescription for weed. Which house are you a part of? If it's the most aggressive I want to be a part of that.
Valient

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 08:39:39 pm »

My first question is about marijuana laws.

I am sure FSP participant Matt Simon and all the people in New Hampshire fighting for sanity would love to have your voice.

I definitely will move as soon as I can get the money. I don't know how I would find a job without moving there first. I've never moved that far so it's going to be risky for sure.
Porcsmouth
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, 05:13:36 am »

Look for the FSP Job Alert on Facebook
1DayAtATime
First 1000
Global Moderator

Live Free or Die!

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2012, 11:36:53 am »

NH is known to have THE MOST STRICTEST LAWS in the US for marijuana. 

I've never heard that before.  There are more than a dozen states that are as bad or worse, depending on what issue you are talking about, according to NORML.  Even RI, which has medical marijuana, still has really high sale or cultivation penalties for those not certified to deal in medical marijuana.

NH has high use of marijuana by twenty-somethings than almost every other state.  As long as the governor would agree, the state house and state senate would likely pass decrim and medical marijuana.

NH likely needs either a better Democratic governor or enough legislators in favor of decreasing marijuana penalties to override a veto in the senate.  Either of those things might happen in 2012.

Please do not take anything I say as 100% accurate or as an official opinion of the FSP.

Haven't joined the Free State Project yet? Join now! http://freestateproject.org/fsn10
Looking for resources on where to live and how to find a job in NH? http://freestateproject.org/resources
madeinmotown

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2012, 08:15:01 pm »

My first question is about marijuana laws.

Every single legislative session in recent memory there has been efforts to decrim drugs, with bills passing the House and failing in the Senate. Or bills passing the House and the Senate, and failing the governors signature.

Each time N.H. gets closer to victory. What has been accomplished is largely because of the tireless commitment of people like Matt Simon and his NH Compassion organization. The Marijuana Policy Project and the SSDP have been very active too. The hours of testimony before committees and fighting all the distortions of the drug warriors is hard work.

But wait. There is something else that has been happening in N.H. Just this year the state approved a law that strengthens the rights of juries to judge the facts of the case and the application of the law in relation to the facts in controversy. The law, H.B. 146, will take effect next year. If the government as a whole drags its feet on drug reform, publicity from a jury acquitting a defendent facing a marijuana charge might just well be the encouragement that they need.

I am sure FSP participant Matt Simon and all the people in New Hampshire fighting for sanity would love to have your voice.

Really?  Matt Simon is still the executive director of NH Common Sense/NH Compassion?  Who knew. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: