Free State Project Forum
270999 Posts in 22155 Topics by 36475 Members / Latest Member: jeremiahg
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2014, 12:49:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Join the FSP

POSTING GUIDELINES and ADVICE FOR NEW MEMBERS

NOTICE: The forum will be down for maintenance beginning at 7PM (NH time) this evening. It should be up again by 9PM. Please forgive the inconvenience and feel free to e-mail arick@freestateproject.org if you have any questions or support requests.

+  Free State Project Forum
|-+  New Hampshire -- The "Live Free or Die" State
| |-+  NH Information and Discussion
| | |-+  NH temps and pet birds
« previous next »
Pages: [1]  Go Down Print
Author Topic: NH temps and pet birds  (Read 1485 times)
Kamekazi Seagull

Ignore
NH temps and pet birds
« on: February 01, 2010, 09:48:57 pm »

Any pet bird owners here?  I'm a birder myself, however its been a while since I've owned one.  If I move, I'd like to keep a small-medium sized parrot (ie conure) but I'm afraid the temperature in NH could harm a bird whose regular habitat is the warm tropics.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 05:32:23 am by Junior Mint » Logged
Alex Libman

Email
Re: NH temps and pet birds
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 03:31:47 am »

I like to think of indoors and ourdoors as two separate universes.  The first universe can be climate-controlled to the point where an indoor tropical pet wouldn't even know what cold air feels like.  Moving it from a warm building to a warm car shouldn't be a problem, especially if you wrap the terrarium tank in a warm blanket.  That's only needed for very few varieties of animals, however, I don't think any of them are birds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4gi-o-ARxA
Liberlog

8^log8 (liber)^20000 = (liber)^ 20000

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 04:56:10 am »

If I'm not mistaken, it is not the cold that kills tropical birds... It is the wind / draft coupled with cold. If you wrap a blanket around the cage while transporting outside, it should not be a problem.

-Liberlog
creaganlios

Email
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 04:25:02 pm »

We have a 20 year old Brown-throated Conure and a 20 year-old Indian Ringneck.  Along with our canary and finches and iguana and gecko), everyone does quite well...after all, one doesnt leave them outside in the snow all winter, right?
Pages: [1]  Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: