Free State Project Forum
270535 Posts in 22084 Topics by 36317 Members / Latest Member: dezignext
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 29, 2014, 03:40:38 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Join the FSP

POSTING GUIDELINES and ADVICE FOR NEW MEMBERS

NOTICE: The forum will be down for maintenance beginning at 7PM (NH time) this evening. It should be up again by 9PM. Please forgive the inconvenience and feel free to e-mail arick@freestateproject.org if you have any questions or support requests.

+  Free State Project Forum
|-+  FSP -- Recruiting and Publicity
| |-+  FSP Recruiting (Moderators: Steve, 1DayAtATime)
| | |-+  The article I just made up about my trip to Keene, NH part 2 (EDITED VERSION)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]  Go Down Print
Author Topic: The article I just made up about my trip to Keene, NH part 2 (EDITED VERSION)  (Read 3012 times)
kyfornow

Ignore
The article I just made up about my trip to Keene, NH part 2 (EDITED VERSION)
« on: January 03, 2010, 12:39:01 am »

When I woke the next morning, I already had an idea of my own.  I wanted a way to say a final farewell to those I had met, and posted online that I was inviting any interested Free Staters to dinner.   On rather short notice, the particulars were arranged for later that evening.  In the meantime, I took another sightseeing drive of the surrounding area.  I wanted to really take a good look at the community, and what it had to offer.

Keene is certainly a smaller town, so if big cities are your flavor, then perhaps you might find Concord or Manchester more appealing, but I would not be so quick to write Keene off the map.  The area offers its share of urban comforts, along with a very friendly energetic community.  All the people I encountered running or working in the local businesses were amiable folk--neither too hurried nor too lethargic.  As Goldilocks said, they were just right.

In my perusal of local businesses I would tell them I was looking to move to the area and getting a feel for local shops.  One business owner asked if I was a Free Stater.  I said I was, and he told me that he was also involved in his own fashion.  This caught me off-guard--in a good way!

While I was in his store, one of the more recognizable locals, who has a public access tv show, walked in.  While there are plenty of Free Staters moving to New Hampshire, many of the people living there are already liberty-lovers--another reason New Hampshire was a good choice.  This movement is real, and it’s about real people, who are making things happen every day--and it’s amazing [something more concrete--never tell the reader it's amazing: make him exclaim, "That's amazing!"] to see.

After a stop at a rest area that boasted a short hiking trail, it was time to return to town for the food and fellowship.  I had no idea how many people might show up, but I knew it could be anywhere between zero and a hundred.  The restaurant had a rather good deal on pizza, and even if more people arrived, it was the least I could do to demonstrate just how truly welcomed I felt during my visit. 

About ten people showed up, most of whom I had already met, all of them Free Staters.  It was a pleasant way to end my last night, and would make the long drive I faced the next day much more bearable.

After the dinner party ended, I said a few last goodbyes, and headed to the home of some activists who I had arranged to stay with on my final night.  The night was capped with some wonderful political discussion and talk about future plans.  The next morning, it was time to return home, and I truly did not want to leave.  I actually kept stalling the inevitable departure and got on the road a little later than planned.  There was a sadness about having to leave Keene, but with it came the knowledge that I would be returning, because I felt like this was where my home really should be. 

The drive home was intense, taking nearly seventeen hours, and included more than one stop to rest.  As I approached Kentucky, I felt I was farther away from home, rather than getting closer to it.  Hopefully in the next few weeks, my big white Suburban will take me north once more, and I will hear my new friends and neighbors say, “Welcome home.”
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 09:16:18 pm by kyfornow » Logged
KyleS

Ignore
Re: The article I just made up about my trip to Keene, NH part 2
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 11:45:45 am »

Thanks for sharing, you write very well.

Reading about your positive experience, makes me all the more excited for my trip in 2 weeks.
Dreepa
First 1000
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 07:59:53 am »

ditto!

KY that is a GREAT write up.

Would you be willing to put a modified version on the FSP front page or in the FSP newsletter?

Welcome home!!
kyfornow

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 09:45:31 am »

ditto!

KY that is a GREAT write up.

Would you be willing to put a modified version on the FSP front page or in the FSP newsletter?

Welcome home!!

Someone may be editing the text for me, to make it more presentable.  Whether they are able to or not, anybody can do whatever they want to with the article if it will be of any help in any way in this process.
Pages: [1]  Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: