Free State Project Forum
271090 Posts in 22165 Topics by 36511 Members / Latest Member: Rorikfug
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 30, 2014, 08:48:15 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Join the FSP

POSTING GUIDELINES and ADVICE FOR NEW MEMBERS

NOTICE: The forum will be down for maintenance beginning at 7PM (NH time) this evening. It should be up again by 9PM. Please forgive the inconvenience and feel free to e-mail arick@freestateproject.org if you have any questions or support requests.

+  Free State Project Forum
|-+  New Hampshire -- The "Live Free or Die" State
| |-+  NH Jobs
| | |-+  Job Openings (Moderator: NHJobsMod)
| | | |-+  Union Ironworker/ Welder
« previous next »
Pages: [1]  Go Down Print
Author Topic: Union Ironworker/ Welder  (Read 3646 times)
SickOfPhilly

Ignore
Union Ironworker/ Welder
« on: October 27, 2009, 11:52:40 am »

Hello. I've been lurking aound here for a year now but never thought moving to NH was a realistic option because of the wife and four kiddies. Well, this "swine flu" hysteria and the resulting vaccination talks have struck fear into my wife. She actually sat with me and surfed around the site for 20 minutes. Not only that, she asked several questions and showed serious interest in the relocation idea. As can be imagined, employment is the number one concern. As a union ironworker, my job is almost exclusively dependant upon my close proximity to a medium to large sized city. I am a certified welder as well which could open up self employment possibilities in smaller communities. My wife is a stay-at-home-mom with a bachelors in marketing management. She will be ready to go to work in 3 years when my two year old is of school age.

I'm not even sure what questions I want to ask. The task of relocating the entire family to another state is so enormous that I don't even know where to start. I suppose I'd like any info related to my job skills and training. Ideally, it would be great to hear from free staters within my field. Perhaps free staters know others within my field from whom they can get information. In the mean time, I will contact the local union from that area (Boston?). Any info that folks may have about different areas of the state would also be greatly appreciated. We currently live in a rural NJ community on 5 acres. Our goal is to stay as rural as possible but within an hour's drive to work. Hope this is not all too vague. Thanks in advance for any and all info.  -John Boggs    BTW, I actually got butterlies while reading the "freestateproject" home page today. Very exciting!
djbridgeland

moved October 2008, Second 1000

Ignore
Re: Union Ironworker/ Welder
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 02:04:49 pm »

Well Boston is about a 45 minute commute from the border and the Manchester - Nashua metro area has around 400,000 people making it big enough to probably find work.  Also lots of smaller towns with a rural component where you could make a living self employed welding various things on properties.  Honestly an hours commute could set you up for pretty much any where in the state. It's about an hour to either SW NH and the Seacoast from  South Central NH. Concord is about an hour from the Upper Valley and White Mountains. In those areas you can easily find what you are looking for.   
Fishercat
First 1000
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 02:22:14 pm »

an hours commute could set you up for pretty much any where in the state.

Or to put it another way... you will easily find rural property within 20-30 minutes of whatever NH city/town is best for your work.  Possibly even less.

It does seem like the union would be one good place to start.  If you can start with a sense of where you can work, it will make searching easier.

Welcome to the forum.
sj
Participant Services Director/Advertising Sales Director
Administrator

Paleoconservative

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 07:41:19 pm »

Welcome!

Moved?  Update your address so we can move the counter and get more people to follow you! To update, go to www.freestateproject.org/user

Click on "edit"

Click on "FSP Registration Information"

Update your address and click "submit"
Jerry
Global Moderator

Next 1000

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 07:45:44 pm »

The only one in NH is Portsmouth local 745, which has  an address in Rochester NH, but has a Maine area code  (207) 438-1143.
In any case, you will need to locate near the southern border where the population is dense enough to support union jobs.  

jerry...retired from Erie PA local 348
SickOfPhilly

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 08:16:25 pm »

Thanks to everyone so far. I Mapquested Manchester, NH and figured we could go north or west from there. If I was to go 40 or 50 miles out, does it become rural or is it more suburban? I've been to Brattleboro, VT and liked it. I'm assuming the Keene area is similar. I've heard of Laconia because of the biker rally. Although I'm sure that area is very expensive because of the lake.

Did a little research and found that Manchester is actually a satelitte local of Boston's local 7. I believe that local 745 is strictly a rodman local. I'm a structual ironworker, so I'd have to work out of Manchester. My next stop is Monster.com. Thanks again.  -John
margomaps
FSP Participant

I'm a llama!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 09:14:32 pm »

Welcome!

Thanks to everyone so far. I Mapquested Manchester, NH and figured we could go north or west from there. If I was to go 40 or 50 miles out, does it become rural or is it more suburban?

50 miles (east) from Manchester and you're in the ocean.  Smiley  You'll find rural areas probably 5 miles from Manchester.  I believe there are some "suburbany" areas somewhere between and around the Nashua/Manchester/Concord corridor, but generally speaking there's a pretty sharp dropoff from city to rural in NH.  You certainly don't need to go anywhere near 40-50 miles away to find rural communities.

I've heard of Laconia because of the biker rally. Although I'm sure that area is very expensive because of the lake.

http://www.nneren.com

There are plenty of areas in the Lakes region in and around Laconia that are quite affordable.
SickOfPhilly

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 11:24:28 am »

Margo, Hi.  I sorta figured that I wouldn't have to tavel too far to get away from it all. In the Philadelphia metro area there are some directions where 100 miles doesn't even get you rural. I'm about as rural as one can get for NJ and I am 50 to 60 miles from Philly. I think a recon trip to NH is in our future. Thanks for the info. -John
anon37268573

First1000

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 03:08:42 pm »

Margo, Hi.  I sorta figured that I wouldn't have to tavel too far to get away from it all. In the Philadelphia metro area there are some directions where 100 miles doesn't even get you rural. I'm about as rural as one can get for NJ and I am 50 to 60 miles from Philly. I think a recon trip to NH is in our future. Thanks for the info. -John

If you have a chance, there's a small bar that's open on Thursday and Saturday nights in South Boston on West Broadway & C St. next to Al's Liquors.  The bar tender who works on Thursdays and Saturdays is a retired Teamster truck driver.  I'm pretty sure his son was an Iron Worker.  He knows almost all the local Iron Workers including some of the people who have held high positions in the union.  He could probably help you get to know some of the people in the area and give you some idea of who to talk to to get a book and how hard it will be.  His name is Frank.

The Boston Iron Workers are Local 7, if I'm not mistaken.  Their union hall is on Old Colony between E St. and F St. if I'm not mistaken - just a few blocks south east of the bar.

If you're still thinking of living is Southern NH and working in the Boston area, it might be worth your time to talk with Frank and see if he can help you out at all in addition to going through the regular union channels.  He could at least fill you in on the history of the local and who's who.

- anon
Pages: [1]  Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: