Free State Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: School is Prison  (Read 6588 times)

Fr33dom

Re: School is Prison
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 11:51:09 pm »

I would not describe school as prison as the article stated.  Totalitarian would probably best describe it. Children are no longer taught math, spelling, etc. They are taught about the global warming hoax, but they are taught that it is real, not the hoax it is. That is just one example out of many that come to mind. It's not a prison, it's a mind control.

madness!

• please feel free to friend me
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 01:36:17 am »

Children are no longer taught math, spelling, etc. They are taught about the global warming hoax, but they are taught that it is real, not the hoax it is. That is just one example out of many that come to mind. It's not a prison, it's a mind control.
having just finished up High school, i can guarantee you that we still learn math and spelling. global warming is not really covered in the curriculum due to it being a hot button issue. also, most students ultimately form there own opinion on such matters, and im sure you'll be happy to know that those who dont formate opinions probably arent paying attention anyway. if you want to look at a real tragedy of the school system its that evolution isn't if accepted by half the people i knew at school.

its hardly mind control, they cant even get kids to show up to class on time. what it is a desensitization to creativity. kids are bombarded with abstract knowledge in several subjects daily. the charismatic ones are either co-oped into being sycophants in the student council or are shipped from school to school and being labeled disruptive. in school i was taught one way to do everything. being a creative person who happens to be dyslexic i rarely did things the way they wanted, and i lost points and so on and so forth. i could rant for hours about public schools.

jean, you should read a book by john taylor gatto called (i believe...) "dumbing us down" its all about how the school system is failing kids. i am sure they have it at the library to check out.

yeah, an actual signature. does that blow your mind?!

rossby

• Director of Development
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 02:45:56 am »

I dunno. I definitely thought it was a prison. I used to escape as much as I could too ;)

lloydbob1

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 06:42:43 am »

Jean probably read it.

Jack Aviado

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 06:53:20 am »

See also resources at http://school-survival.net/ if interested.

I routinely refer to compulsory students as 'prisoners'. ;)

CurtHowland

• FSP Participant
  • Mover #902. If not for the deer, maybe #901!
    • Anarchy != Chaos
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 11:22:05 am »

"School is Prison"

I have only one word to add to that:

GOVERNMENT School is Prison.

Free-market "schools" are spontaneous creations of people who wish to expand education opportunities.
"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."

Tech blog fun: http://anarchic-order.blogspot.com/

erinyay

• Oh gosh
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 12:01:51 pm »

Free-market "schools" are spontaneous creations of people who wish to expand education opportunities.

Ideally sure. In practice, I would no more send our children to private schools currently than government schools. They're still institutions with collectivist goals and don't really serve the individual as well as I see homeschooling serving them. Plus there's the whole massive waste of time issue. Middle school can pretty much be cut out; how many times does a kid need to take algebra I before they're "allowed" to move on?

rossby

• Director of Development
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 01:28:43 pm »

Ideally sure. In practice, I would no more send our children to private schools currently than government schools. They're still institutions with collectivist goals and don't really serve the individual as well as I see homeschooling serving them. Plus there's the whole massive waste of time issue. Middle school can pretty much be cut out; how many times does a kid need to take algebra I before they're "allowed" to move on?

Jeff LaGrange

• FSP Participant
  • AKA (1) poorkollegekid (2) Axon Hillock
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 07:49:29 pm »

AHHHHHHHHHH   Look who is a moderator.  I knew the day would come. 
"No nation however powerful, any more than an individual, can be unjust with impunity.  Sooner or later, public opinion, an instrument merely moral in the beginning, will find occasion physically to inflict its sentences on the unjust... The lesson is useful to the weak as well as the strong." --Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, 1804.

"It is the trade of lawyers to question everything, yield nothing, and talk by the hour." -  Thomas Jefferson

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."

Thomas Jefferson

MaineShark

• FSP Participant
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2009, 07:56:28 pm »

Private schools can be run on any number of different methods.  Many are not merely private copies of government schools.  Some certainly are, but there are a variety of other teaching philosophies that can find venues in a free market.

Joe
"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..

maxxoccupancy

• Evil prevails when good men don't vote Libertarian
    • fija.org
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2009, 08:00:38 pm »

I learned algebra from my older brother at age 8, had to take two years of pre-algebra and two more years of post algebra--despite already knowing the subject.

Oh well, some easy A's to help bring up the ol' GPA.
If you are interested in putting together an IT-creative firm to help provide jobs for liberty folks in the future, send me a Personal Message.
"The Free State Project is an agreement among 20,000 pro-liberty activists to move to New Hampshire, where they will exert the fullest practical effort toward the creation of a society in which the maximum role of government is the protection of life, liberty, and property."

Fr33dom

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2009, 08:19:19 pm »

Ha, sounds like you can hang out by the college and offer to help the students with their Algebra? Some extra money in your pocket. haha  Algebra is a tough subject for most students..

madness!

• please feel free to friend me
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2009, 08:51:48 pm »

awful lot of talk about algebra... there are more subjects than that.

yeah, an actual signature. does that blow your mind?!

CurtHowland

• FSP Participant
  • Mover #902. If not for the deer, maybe #901!
    • Anarchy != Chaos
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2009, 08:02:43 pm »

In practice, I would no more send our children to private schools currently than government schools.

In this environment, where "private" schools have to be approved by the state, I agree.

That is not what I was referring to, thus my words "Free-market" and the scare quotes around "school" to denote that it's not the school presently found.

"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."

Tech blog fun: http://anarchic-order.blogspot.com/
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up