Free State Project Forum
268981 Posts in 21904 Topics by 36094 Members / Latest Member: MCarlos
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2014, 09:32:47 am

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Join the FSP

POSTING GUIDELINES and ADVICE FOR NEW MEMBERS

NOTICE: The forum will be down for maintenance beginning at 7PM (NH time) this evening. It should be up again by 9PM. Please forgive the inconvenience and feel free to e-mail arick@freestateproject.org if you have any questions or support requests.

+  Free State Project Forum
|-+  Politics and Philosophy
| |-+  Reform Strategies
| | |-+  Activism Idea--PR Campaign for Mass Jury Nullification--No Victim No Crime
« previous next »
Pages: [1]  Go Down Print
Author Topic: Activism Idea--PR Campaign for Mass Jury Nullification--No Victim No Crime  (Read 3410 times)
Chartist

Ignore
Activism Idea--PR Campaign for Mass Jury Nullification--No Victim No Crime
« on: August 29, 2009, 04:11:09 pm »

Like most freedom lovers in NH and the rest of the country, I am sickened by the rapid descent into serfdom due to the growth of the federal government.  And I think it should be obvious that finger wagging and yelling at politicians at town halls will do virtually nothing to stop the descent into tyranny. 

I've been doing some research on jury nullification, and had an idea. Given the anger the people have at the Federal government, might be a great time to introduce the public to jury nullification as a way of getting even with the Feds. 

It is an easy sell in a time like this.  We have an out of control Executive, a crooked and unresponsive congress, and a judiciary that has a documented history of doing what it wants, to hell with the law.  Only jurors, who are herded like sheep into court, poked and prodded for any sign of independence or conscience, and later manipulated into bleating "guilty" for all sorts of unconscionable laws, are supposed to take their "duty" seriously.

They don't arrest people for voting, but they do threaten and intimidate potential jury nullifiers.  What the government persecutes, is what the government fears.

I'm thinking of a PR campaign where we send mass emails and suggest stories to media outlets like Glen Beck on FOX, or emails to Judge Napolitano, to cover the issue of Jury Nullification, and how it can prevent the enforcement of unjust laws by an increasingly illegitimate congress and President. 

I'm thinking of a campaign--something catchy, like "No Victim, No Crime", where the message to the public is that if there is no individual harmed by the defendent on trial, then Natural Justice, as opposed to the laws written by a crooks and criminals in the legislature,  Crimes against the State--ie. crimes of tax evasion, possession of weapons or drugs, without an individual harmed, are situations where the Jury could acquit, as a sign of disobedience.

Anyone want to help get the this moving?  I think we could use some help from FIJA, some drug legalization groups, and perhaps guys like Ron Paul.

Just imagine if the conviction rate dropped, but the authorities couldn't point their guns at small activists like FIJA.  What if jury nullification was an idea that encouraged mass civil disobedience for all sorts of federal laws--ie. drug laws, tax laws, etc?

Lets see if we can make it happen!

[Art.] 10. [Right of Revolution.] Government being instituted for the common benefit, protection, and security, of the whole community, and not for the private interest or emolument of any one man, family, or class of men; therefore, whenever the ends of government are perverted, and public liberty manifestly endangered, and all other means of redress are ineffectual, the people may, and of right ought to reform the old, or establish a new government. The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.  June 2, 1784    ----New Hampshire Constitution
Dreepa
First 1000
Global Moderator

Re: Activism Idea--PR Campaign for Mass Jury Nullification--No Victim No Crime
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 04:22:49 pm »

Chartist

I like your thinking.
The Keene krew has been doing FIJA outreach for a year now:

http://forum.freekeene.com/index.php?topic=54.0

and someone start this (which rocks!)

http://fijanh.info/
1DayAtATime
First 1000
Global Moderator

Live Free or Die!

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 04:26:34 pm »

And it will happen in Manchester starting this Monday Smiley

Please do not take anything I say as 100% accurate or as an official opinion of the FSP.

Haven't joined the Free State Project yet? Join now! http://freestateproject.org/fsn10
Looking for resources on where to live and how to find a job in NH? http://freestateproject.org/resources
Chartist

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 05:44:59 pm »

The FIJA site could be improved.  A lot of the download materials should be in PDF or HTML format, as opposed to plain text, which can make the message unreadable on different OS, ie. Linux.  I'm willing to help convert the files so they are more accessible.

I think FIJA is great, and handing out info outside of courthouses is worthwhile, but it is also high risk, low reward strategy.  It is labor intensive, and doesn't scale well.  If market research is to be believed, people need to be exposed to a message multiple times before they are encouraged to act.  That is why advertising is so repetitive. 

I recall reading a juror interview after the Branch Davidian trial, and she was exposed to FIJA materials prior to the trial.  She had never been exposed to the idea of jury nullification, and mistrusted the materials at first.  After the trial, and seeing injustice being done, her opinion changed. 

We are at a time where people are frustrated with their government (for good reason), and want to do something.  Jury Nullification is a low risk activity an individual, on his own, can do, if he or she is provided with information on how to do it.  It is crucial take advantage of the hostility the public is demonstrating at these Town Halls, and have that channeled into guerilla acts of CD, that ironically, cannot be punished easily.

[Art.] 10. [Right of Revolution.] Government being instituted for the common benefit, protection, and security, of the whole community, and not for the private interest or emolument of any one man, family, or class of men; therefore, whenever the ends of government are perverted, and public liberty manifestly endangered, and all other means of redress are ineffectual, the people may, and of right ought to reform the old, or establish a new government. The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.  June 2, 1784    ----New Hampshire Constitution
Gubament_is_one_huge_scam

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 06:35:26 pm »

I love this idea OP! I once threatened a local politician who sent the state police out to pull a scam on the public in the town he is a politician at. There was a 'no stop for no seatbelt' but you can ticket for no seatbelt if stopped for another infraction law in effect and this politician was pushing hard for a click it or ticket law. But before the law was passed he had staties lined up on a certain road with radar guns and they were kind of walking out into the street to radar people... but to also observe who had a seatbelt on and who didn't. Then they would instruct the speeders without seatbelts to pull over and write a ticket for no seatbelt or offer you the opportunity to take a speeding ticket at like 10x the cost of the no seatbelt ticket.

I wrote the guys office and told him I was going to pass out FIJA pamphlets like crazy in his town for this tyranny of his, but I never followed through. I would be willing to pass out fliers at large events/protests where the populace might have some interest in this and talk to them about it briefly as long as I had some company doing the same at the event/protest.
Jeff LaGrange
FSP Participant

AKA (1) poorkollegekid (2) Axon Hillock

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 06:58:35 pm »

"No nation however powerful, any more than an individual, can be unjust with impunity.  Sooner or later, public opinion, an instrument merely moral in the beginning, will find occasion physically to inflict its sentences on the unjust... The lesson is useful to the weak as well as the strong." --Thomas Jefferson to James Madison, 1804.

"It is the trade of lawyers to question everything, yield nothing, and talk by the hour." -  Thomas Jefferson

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."

Thomas Jefferson
rabbit20
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 08:06:30 pm »

once i get to NH I will be albe to help with pasing out the info.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
  --  Thomas Jefferson
http://pledgebank.com/Next1000
http://nhliberty.org
http://cafepress.com/ridleyreport
http://www.oathkeepers.org
Pages: [1]  Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: