Free State Project Forum
270983 Posts in 22153 Topics by 36468 Members / Latest Member: GAKono
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 17, 2014, 06:35:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Join the FSP

POSTING GUIDELINES and ADVICE FOR NEW MEMBERS

NOTICE: The forum will be down for maintenance beginning at 7PM (NH time) this evening. It should be up again by 9PM. Please forgive the inconvenience and feel free to e-mail arick@freestateproject.org if you have any questions or support requests.

+  Free State Project Forum
|-+  New Hampshire -- The "Live Free or Die" State
| |-+  NH Information and Discussion
| | |-+  Knife laws in NH and an angry rant.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]  Go Down Print
Author Topic: Knife laws in NH and an angry rant.  (Read 7181 times)
Sharpie44

Ignore
Knife laws in NH and an angry rant.
« on: July 20, 2009, 11:05:20 pm »

I know it's not as big a deal for most people as the right to carry a gun but for me a knife is just as important if not more so. I don't carry my gun every day but i always have my pocket knife. I use everyday and it would be an inconvenience to not have it.

Having said that I recently got in some trouble with the law here in Ohio for just carrying it. I was spotted using it to open a package outside Giant Eagle and got a good talking to and was threatened with arrest by a police officer.  That's the fist time I've ever had a problem but it got me really worked up that I'm not allowed to carry a tool thats been around since the stone age. I'm carry around A semi auto pistol with an 8 round magazine loaded with hollow points and I"M NOT ALLOWED TO HAVE A KNIFE. WTF  Huh I don''t even consider it a defensive or offensive weapon it's just a tool for god sakes.

It's not even a big knife it's a Leatherman with a 3 inch blade, and two screwdrivers. I was so Ped off at that officer but around here they don't mess around if you talk back to them. So I had to keep my mouth shut and just give him the evil eye. I would have loved to tell his high and mighty butt to go F himself.  Angry

So when I do move to NH will I be able to carry around my knife?
J’raxis 270145
First 1000
FSP Participant

Pervert android

Ignore
Re: Knife laws in NH and an angry rant.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 11:24:55 pm »

159:16 Carrying or Selling Weapons. – Whoever, except as provided by the laws of this state, sells, has in his possession with intent to sell, or carries on his person any stiletto, switch knife, blackjack, dagger, dirk-knife, slung shot or metallic knuckles shall be guilty of a misdemeanor; and such weapon or articles so carried by him shall be confiscated to the use of the state.

Source. 1973, 370:16; 1992, 273:2, eff. July 17, 1992.

NH Tea PartyNHLANH-CLOGMFPCURSOR

Escaped from MA, 2007-06-30
sj
Participant Services Director/Advertising Sales Director
Administrator

Paleoconservative

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 11:28:00 pm »

You would like Evan Nappen.  He's a free stater who moved to NH and has had many articles published in blade magazine.  He also started this cause on facebook.

I'm looking in his book to get the answer to your question.

Now, I'm not absolutely sure, here, because I've just done a cursory search, but it looks like you'd be fine.  You can carry a knife so long as it's not a weapon.  Weapon knives are covered in RSA 159:16 which says you can't carry them (doesn't say you can't own them).  

I'm not your lawyer, and, as I said, didn't research this too extensively, but that's how it looks to me.

Moved?  Update your address so we can move the counter and get more people to follow you! To update, go to www.freestateproject.org/user

Click on "edit"

Click on "FSP Registration Information"

Update your address and click "submit"
Pat McCotter
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 01:01:19 am »

And don't forget the "Definition" section.

RSA 625:11 General Definitions. – The following definitions apply to this code.

V. ""Deadly weapon'' means any firearm, knife or other substance or thing which, in the manner it is used, intended to be used, or threatened to be used, is known to be capable of producing death or serious bodily injury.

Visualize Whirled Peas

Give Pizza Chance

I think it's wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly. - Steven Wright
Sharpie44

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 01:31:06 am »

And don't forget the "Definition" section.

RSA 625:11 General Definitions. – The following definitions apply to this code.

V. ""Deadly weapon'' means any firearm, knife or other substance or thing which, in the manner it is used, intended to be used, or threatened to be used, is known to be capable of producing death or serious bodily injury.

The bic pen I'm chewing on right now could be a deadly weapon if i jammed it in your neck. (Not that i would.)  Wink

I think we need to force our government to define things like this better not just have a blanket law that could be interpreted in just about anyway they see fit. 
Puke
FSP Participant

"Rock on!"

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 04:52:30 am »

I think as long as the knife has only one sharp edge you're fine.

That's a crazy story too. The cop was probably just being a typical asshole cop but still. A Leatherman is not a fucking real weapon.

Dooms Day Device Photography = www.dooms-day-device.com
MaineShark
FSP Participant

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 09:26:26 am »

I've walked down the street with a bowie strapped on.

I always have a knife on me, except the handful of times I've needed to go into court.

Joe

"An armed society is a polite society" - this does not mean that we are polite because we fear each other.

We are not civilized because we are armed; we are armed because we are civilized..
CurtHowland
FSP Participant

Mover #902. If not for the deer, maybe #901!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 10:23:23 am »

Here we see a phenomenon which was addressed in "The Market For Liberty" and I'm sure elsewhere many times.

Statute law, by its very nature, doesn't work. If a law is written to cover a specific instance, bad-guys (or good lawyers) will find a way around the law. So laws have to be written so broadly that they cannot be "lawyered" around.

The problem becomes that the law is now so general that specific cases where application of the law goes beyond all reason fall into its voracious maw. So lawmakers turn around and try to specify what the law really means, and we are back again into the same old boom-bust cycle and the law libraries grow and grow.

What we have is centuries of accumulated statute law, which cannot be fair, just or rational.

It is far past time to push for repeal of laws, not just more laws.

What happens if the "knife law" is repealed? Nothing. If anyone attacks anyone else with a weapon, be it bic pen or claymore sword, it's still an attack and still fully "against the law".

"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."

Tech blog fun: http://anarchic-order.blogspot.com/
Sharpie44

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 10:41:33 am »

Jerry
Global Moderator

Next 1000

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 08:09:18 pm »

Yes, it's an old thread, but it needs updated.
Knives are no longer illegal in NH.
Thanks Jen.

http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?topic=20527.0

http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?topic=20760.0
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 09:28:22 pm by Jerry » Logged
TJames

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 11:28:16 pm »

Had this happened to me I would have asked him to show me his badge and then I would have reported him. Did he even cite a law?
Pages: [1]  Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: